Tedrow Sighting

Tonight I was afforded the pleasent opprotunity to talk with the master craftsman himself, Mr. Bob Tedrow. While at the 2007 Southern Region Oireachtas, we discussed many things. It is always such a pleasure to talk to someone who has such a passion for such a beautiful craft.

The one thing we chatted about was the elusive "Seven (7) Sided Concertina"

What do ya'll think about that? Seven sides... has anyone ever seen one? do you think Mr. Tedrow should make one? My vote is yeh!

What do ya'll think about that? Seven sides... has anyone ever seen one? do you think Mr. Tedrow should make one? My vote is yeh!

Has anyone made a perfectly round infinite-sided concertina?

Bob is an excellent craftsman. Attached are photos of a set of bellows that Bob is working on for me. Bob send the pictures yesterday. He does an excellent job with the gold tooling and bellows papers! I just can't wait to see how the miniature concertina he is building for me is going to look and sound.

With regards to round bellowed anglo concertinas ... a guy from South Africa made them in the 1970's and 1980's. Hannes (John) Viljoen is now deceased. This gentleman also made eight sided, ten sided and twelve sided anglos. See photo attached.

With regards to seven sided concertina...I vote ... yes! Who is going to place the first order and what will be the price?

Edited by Ben Otto

Here's a picture of a ten sided Dipper. Not a prime number admittedly, but still has a certain je ne sais quois:-

Chris

Wow, that's a Hayden Duet, right? How many total buttons? Looks like at least 70, more than my 67-key Bastari.

Also it appears the hand strap accepts only the four fingers and the thumb goes outside (above) the strap -- which is germane to a new topic I'm about to start.

--Mike K.

• 4 weeks later...

What do ya'll think about that? Seven sides... has anyone ever seen one?

I've got one! :rolleyes:

In fact I once started a thread about it, but nobody ever replied... :(

Heptagonalconcertina.jpg

That looks to me more like a 6-sider that got a corner knocked off it. As the missing bit is on the outboard side, I'll guess it was done by a passing patron in a packed pub. :ph34r: :D

But the mystical allure of the regular heptagon (seven equal sides) is found in nautical tradition and probably goes back to the ancient Greek geometers. While it is possible to construct a regular tetragon (i.e., a square), hexagon, and even pentagon using only a straightedge and compass, no such construction is possible for the regular heptagon. Thus, the superstition goes, a proper seven-spoked ship's wheel -- the radii of a regular heptagon -- was good luck, since the man who could build such a wheel by eye alone would also be able to build the rest of the ship to the close tolerances needed for it to be strong and leak-free.

However, this superstition exposes a danger of putting too much emphasis on a "classical" education, Euclid in this case, who emphasized such compass-and-straightedge constructions. For if one allows a marked straightedge -- and both shipbuilders and concertina makers generally have access to pencils -- a mechanical construction of a regular heptagon is possible, and a good eye is not necessary. B)