What's Your Squeeze Of Choice?

meltzer

What's your system of choice?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Next -- threads on who do you bank with, and what's your mother's maiden name. ;)

Oh then, why didn't you say so! I bank with Coutts & Co and my mother's maiden name is Battenburg. Does that help?

Chris

Cheers. B)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started off playing the English. I became OK for song accompaniment and some tunes but was never great at it. I decided I better get an idea of playing the anglo (having been a mediocre G/D melodeon player for years) because I was doing restoration work on them all the time. I haven't looked back and just love the anglo played English style. I still play English occasionally but the anglo is my main squeeze.

A geographical breakdown would be interesting.

Geoff

Hey Tootler

Most of the profiles on the left have at least which continent we're from.

Or this might help:

http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers

Last time I looked there were over 350 spots on the map. Blue for Anglo, Red for English, White for Duet, Yellow for Other, and Green for More than one type. At one time, there was a breakdown under each type with a count, but it seems to have disappeared a while ago. The Majority of the dots are members here. Hope it gives some idea.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Geoff

Or this might help:

<a href="http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers" target="_blank">http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers</a>

Last time I looked there were over 350 spots on the map. Blue for Anglo, Red for English, White for Duet, Yellow for Other, and Green for More than one type.

Wow, that is fun to watch! Thanks for the link!

Is there any way to get oneself included on that map? Needs a white dot in northern New England.

Anyway to stop the animation, i.e., freeze it on one continent long enough to really look it over?

--Mike K.

I bank with Coutts & Co and my mother's maiden name is Battenburg.

Is she related to the ones who translated their name to Mountbatten? It might explain the banking choice.

Didn't they change it to Windsor, because of some (ahem!) "difficulties" in Anglo-German relations? ponder2.gif

Or maybe Chris means the people who make those nice sponge cakes covered in marzipan? dontknow.gif

Wow, that is fun to watch! Thanks for the link!

Is there any way to get oneself included on that map? Needs a white dot in northern New England.

Anyway to stop the animation, i.e., freeze it on one continent long enough to really look it over?

--Mike K.

Hey Mike

On the map is an orange oval with the word join. Click on it and a balloon will come up with the words "Hi! Please add yourself!". Click on it and then move this pin will do the same. Or on the left should be a grey square that says "Add Yourself"

To stop the animation move the cursor over the map, and it will change to a pointing finger. If you click on a dot, more information will come up in a balloon.

To move the map, or scroll hold down the left mouse button (over the map), and the cursor will be able to move the map around.

Click the + - to zoom in/out

Lots of buttons to play with.

Thanks

Leo

On the map is an orange oval with the word join. Click on it and a balloon will come up with the words "Hi! Please add yourself!". Click on it and then move this pin will do the same. Or on the left should be a grey square that says "Add Yourself"

Nope -- the orange JOIN button turns dark when I move the hand cursor over it, but when I click it, nothing further happens. Same with the "Add Yourself" square. Maybe I need to go to "Members" and sign up first? And have a photo of myself ready <_<

To stop the animation move the cursor over the map, and it will change to a pointing finger. If you click on a dot, more information will come up in a balloon.

Yes, this works fine. I've already popped up a couple of friends this way.

To move the map, or scroll hold down the left mouse button (over the map), and the cursor will be able to move the map around.

Click the + - to zoom in/out

Yes, these all work too, tho the map takes a while to fill in the borders and city names, even on DSL connection. It is way cool -- now if I can get signed into it ... Mike K.

Didn't they change it to Windsor, because of some (ahem!) "difficulties" in Anglo-German relations?

The Windsors were previously called Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. The Queen retained her surname on marriage, and as part of the marriage settlement her children take their mother's surname. Prince Philip was born Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gluecksburg, but started to call himself Mountbatten when he joined the Royal Navy, Mountbatten being his mother's name (Princess Alice). These Mountbattens descended from Battenburgs, who changed their name because of the difficulties you mention, otherwise known as the First World War.

Fans of Battenburg Cake will no doubt be aware of the prominent role it takes in Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series of comic novels, the first of which is The Eyre Affair. Thurday's mother regularly cooks it, and I believe Thursday's genetically cultured pet dodo is very fond of eating it. But don't tell the Toast Marketing Board.

The Windsors were previously called Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. ...Mountbattens descended from Battenburgs, who changed their name because of the difficulties you mention, otherwise known as the First World War.

I know Ivan, I was trying to be humorous and not wanting to go into detail, whilst pointing out that the family who famously bank at Coutts' should be called Windsor. I was also trying to keep on topic by bringing Anglos into it. ;)

Indeed the German Kaiser was himself the product of an Anglo-German duet! His mother was the English Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, Vicky, who married Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia; whilst the English King George V's father was Queen Victoria's eldest son, Edward VII, so he and "Kaiser Bill" (of batman fame) were in fact first cousins - no wonder the "British" Royals felt a need to change the family name, to try and keep quiet about inlaws like him! :rolleyes:

This one looks like it must have been his concertina :D :

pickel.jpg

Now, I think I'll go out and buy a nice Battenburg after sorting out all that, it's made me quite peckish. :)

battenberg_cake.jpg

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Coo, that cake looks loverly. Great picture!

But back to the poll ... I know the voting sample isn't huge yet, but the balance is already interesting. The Anglo vote is probably boosted by US and Irish members - in England and Scotland the English system would doubtless get a bigger share. But the real surprise to me is the Duet vote - I'd always considered Duets a fairly small minority, yet here they are with a wopping half of the English showing.

Ray

But back to the poll ... I know the voting sample isn't huge yet, but the balance is already interesting. The Anglo vote is probably boosted by US and Irish members - in England and Scotland the English system would doubtless get a bigger share. But the real surprise to me is the Duet vote - I'd always considered Duets a fairly small minority, yet here they are with a wopping half of the English showing.

But the bisonoric-vs.-unisonoric split is essentially equal, currently 47 bisonoric (anglo) vs. 46 unisonoric (English and duet) and 4 unidentified (but I know that one of those, which is mine, is unisonoric).

Now, I think I'll go out and buy a nice Battenburg after sorting out all that, it's made me quite peckish.

Excuse me! My family is not for sale!

I don't know any English English players. :unsure:

Perhaps I should get out more. ;)

I think you should. The West Country's crawling with 'em.

Chris

Geoff

Hey Tootler

Most of the profiles on the left have at least which continent we're from.

Or this might help:

<a href="http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers" target="_blank">http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers</a>

Last time I looked there were over 350 spots on the map. Blue for Anglo, Red for English, White for Duet, Yellow for Other, and Green for More than one type.

thats great! actually I would have guessed there were more players in my region, looks like I'm unique (at least in California) as I always suspected.