Crane Duet

Pete Dunk

I think this is the first Crane I've seen on ebay (but I haven't been watching that long). With only 48 keys it's probably a bit basic for a duet but it looks very tidy. I fancy a crack at duet playing but funds won't permit.

I like 55 better, but 48 isn't bad. 48 is basic, but IMO generally adequate for someone who doesn't aim to sound like a church organ.

I've seen several Cranes on eBay over the past few years, but they're less common than Maccanns.

I think this is the first Crane I've seen on ebay (but I haven't been watching that long). With only 48 keys it's probably a bit basic for a duet but it looks very tidy. I fancy a crack at duet playing but funds won't permit.

I think about 6 months ago or so I saw a Crane with brass reeds listed, was tempted to buy it but I had already sunk money into a MacCaan duet or else would have bid on it. The price right now is not too bad, I would expect it to sell even as is for over 500 GBP since so many peopel want Cranes these days (and for good reason, Crane rocks!)

I've been playing a 48 key Crane for over 30 years and it's done me proud. I was in a bidding war for a 55 key on ebay a bit over a year ago (it went over my limit), but I luckily found an almost identical instrument through this forum. I'm still working on things to do with the extra buttons. I use it mainly for song accompanyment (see website Crane Drivin' Music for a few samples), so my playing tends to be fairly simple. Definitely not trying to sound like a church organ!

They do come up on ebay from time to time, but most people who take the time to get into the instrument don't want to part from it.

Andrew

Another Crane, this time a Wheatstone 48 key Ledgers say a 1934 model 70? Few of the pricelists I can find even mention duets and no model 70 to be found. Is it a model 7D?

No, model 70 should be correct. I haven't checked the price list collection on concertina.com lately, but I don't think the early price lists gave model-number specifics for any but the Englishes, though such numbers were used internally in the ledgers. E.g., I think numbers below 30 were for Englishes, numbers in the 30's (and 40's?) for (Maccann) duets, numbers in the 50's for anglos, in the 70's for Triumph system.

My impression has been that the one-digit-with-a-letter (e.g., 3A, 5E, 2D, 2T, etc.) model designations completely replaced earlier 2-digit model numbers after WWII. (In that system, "D" would designate a Maccann duet; a Triumph/Crane would end in "T".) But on the same ledger page as this one that's for sale is a "9E" model designation for #33499. That's strange, especially since I didn't think the later system went up to 9. :unsure:

Another Crane, this time a Wheatstone 48 key Ledgers say a 1934 model 70? Few of the pricelists I can find even mention duets and no model 70 to be found. Is it a model 7D?

No, model 70 should be correct. I haven't checked the price list collection on concertina.com lately, but I don't think the early price lists gave model-number specifics for any but the Englishes, though such numbers were used internally in the ledgers. E.g., I think numbers below 30 were for Englishes, numbers in the 30's (and 40's?) for (Maccann) duets, numbers in the 50's for anglos, in the 70's for Triumph system.

My impression has been that the one-digit-with-a-letter (e.g., 3A, 5E, 2D, 2T, etc.) model designations completely replaced earlier 2-digit model numbers after WWII. (In that system, "D" would designate a Maccann duet; a Triumph/Crane would end in "T".) But on the same ledger page as this one that's for sale is a "9E" model designation for #33499. That's strange, especially since I didn't think the later system went up to 9. :unsure:

Check that auction again, under questions KerryF has lent some "useful" information..

It looks as if the seller has been bombarded with info! He's only about 15 miles up the road from me but I've been busy this weekend and now won't get chance to go over and take a look at it before the auction ends. I wouldn't really want a small duet anyway but it might have been interesting to take a look.

...the first Crane I've seen on ebay

Not sure when precisely but I have seen one smaller and more simple (mahogany ends like a 20b lachenal) than this one, maybe 46 buttons, some 2 or 3 years ago. But the layout had been changed in that way that all notes of the C scale went from left to right. To illustrate that, on the right hand side, the lowest D and E had been exchanged, Same for A and G on the second row and the C and D on the third row. Missed it, but it could be interesting to try that system though... Unfortunately I was outbid in the last minute.

Marien

Not sure when precisely but I have seen one smaller and more simple (mahogany ends like a 20b lachenal) than this one, maybe 46 buttons, some 2 or 3 years ago. But the layout had been changed in that way that all notes of the C scale went from left to right. To illustrate that, on the right hand side, the lowest D and E had been exchanged, Same for A and G on the second row and the C and D on the third row. Missed it, but it could be interesting to try that system though... Unfortunately I was outbid in the last minute.

Marien

I had that type Crane ($500 a few years ago).

Feel very happy that I was able to re-sell it at the same price (almost the same).

Too small, not enough air, bad balance between left and right, uneven tone and squeaky. I really liked the layout, but realizes that Duets are not Anglos, the treshhold of acceptable quality is much higher.

Not sure when precisely but I have seen one smaller and more simple (mahogany ends like a 20b lachenal) than this one, maybe 46 buttons, ....

I believe the fewest-buttons standard Crane is 35 buttons. I've seen a couple of them on eBay. The next step up is usually 48 buttons.

Does that excessively enthusiastic and helpful tone suggest to anyone else that the 'questioner' is acquainted with the seller? Or is it just my cynical streak showing again?

Dirge,

I think on this occasion it may be your cynical streak showing again. :unsure: The same "informant" was also similarly effusive in the case of a Lachenal Anglo in New Zealand that sold yesterday, though at least not as factually incorrect:

You have one of the "cadillacs" of concertinas! Not really rare, but of the best of quality and chromatic. (ie; it has sharps & flats, unlike the 20 button anglos) A 30 button Wheatstone would be about the only other concertina that would have equal or better quality. I wish you the very best in your auction! Be sure that I'll be bidding on this one! Cordially, KerryF

Mind you, a good dose of cynicism is no harm on eBay! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Rather weird, I think. What's he/she out to achieve, sticking ill-informed oars in like this? Is it another form of trolling? Deeply irritating if you were going to bid on something and see it 'hyped' like this. (hasn't happened to me)

It's right about Wheatstones making the best concertinas of course. Jeffries sound uncouth.

It's right about Wheatstones making the best concertinas of course. Jeffries sound uncouth.

Even the rare Jeffries-made Maccann, you say?
:unsure:

I certainly wouldn't look down on one, though I'm more of a Crane man (and even more English... concertina-wise, that is), meself. ;)

And I've never met a Dipper I didn't
love
:)

Actually, removing my tongue from my cheek for a minute, yes. I really don't rate the Jeffries tone as I've experienced it; some of them remind me of annoyed geese.

It's easy enough to account for; I'm not playing trad music of one sort or another in the open or with a noisy crowd; I'm playing 'sort of' classical music solo so it's a completely different usage to the normal Jeffries one.

Offer me a Maccan Jeffries and I would be highly suspicious that you were after more money for a less useful instrument for my purposes; I don't know if a Jeffries Maccan would attract a premium over a similar sized Maccan Wheatstone, but I'd expect it's seller might think so and I'm pretty sure, rarity value aside, that it wouldn't merit it.

Actually, removing my tongue from my cheek for a minute, yes. I really don't rate the Jeffries tone as I've experienced it; some of them remind me of annoyed geese.

Well, Jeffries -- at least the anglos -- are renowned for their "honk". :D

It's easy enough to account for; I'm not playing trad music of one sort or another in the open or with a noisy crowd; I'm playing 'sort of' classical music solo so it's a completely different usage to the normal Jeffries one.

Offer me a Maccan Jeffries and I would be highly suspicious that you were after more money for a less useful instrument for my purposes; I don't know if a Jeffries Maccan would attract a premium over a similar sized Maccan Wheatstone, but I'd expect it's seller might think so and I'm pretty sure, rarity value aside, that it wouldn't merit it.

Tastes differ.

I do like the Jeffries sound, though I certainly don't prefer it for everything. And right now I couldn't afford one even without a premium price. :( But if somebody has one to give away, please have them contact me. ;)