New Concertina Buttons

All I was querying was do we know that there are a lot of different sizes-has anyone checked -or are we assuming that there are more sizes than there actually are. If so what sort of size/type differences are there? Will 'one size' fit more than one concertina?
We've got many drawers full of vintage concertina buttons yet we're always hard-pressed to find a matching replacement button for the repairs we do.

Perhaps the reason why they are all slightly to majorly different is that they are from wrecked boxes which tend to be the earlier ones. By the latter 1800's there was probably longer/larger runs of the same models of concertinas which would have identical buttons though it may not be until the 1920's that one could get serious numbers of same ones. And even then were so many models of plated, cored, drawn, capped, nickel, glass, bone, etc. types of buttons.

With enough effort one could make some buttons *fit* as the lever arms can be bent, bumpers adjusted, bushings thinned/thickened or the endplate button holes adjusted, etc. Much easier to get the replacement buttons from someone who has a closer fit or make them from scratch (if you have the right tooling).

is it worth a survey?
That would be interesting and insightful! I'm don't think this forum software is up to so many variations though. I can think of 5 types of button material (excluding subtypes like *what* metal or plating), a range of diameters (including tang diameter), overall heights, shoulder heights (and if shouldered) and lever hole heights. Perhaps it would be easier and more realistic to have folks post a photo of one of their buttons with a scale next to it?

-- Rich --

At the last count, I have at least one of each of a selection of 68 variations of concertina button used over the years by the various makers. Please don't ask me for replacements as the total collection is very limited.

It is not my intention to insult or upset anybody on this site and if the endorsement given to an earlier comment has caused irritation then I am sorry but I feel that after many years of correcting the results of 'repairs' made using unsuitable parts, it is my reponsibilty to make people more aware.

Geoff.

At the last count, I have at least one of each of a selection of 68 variations of concertina button used over the years by the various makers. Please don't ask me for replacements as the total collection is very limited.

It is not my intention to insult or upset anybody on this site and if the endorsement given to an earlier comment has caused irritation then I am sorry but I feel that after many years of correcting the results of 'repairs' made using unsuitable parts, it is my reponsibilty to make people more aware.

Geoff.

I couldn't agree with you more Geoff.

Never a good solution trying to make a square peg fit a round hole... so to speak :lol:

Dave

Geoff.

I couldn't agree with you more Geoff.

Never a good solution trying to make a square peg fit a round hole... so to speak :lol:

Dave

For(tune)atly.....the 50 coming only have to have an action and plates built around them......so fitting the square(doff) peg into new round holes shouldn't be a problem (famous last words).....

• 2 weeks later...

After comparing the quoted measurements of these buttons with my existing buttons, I found them practically identical. I purchased some to replace existing ones which had broken. I have now fitted some and find them A,OK. So much so that I am replacing all the old buttons with these new ones.

At a £1 each, thats less than half the price I`ve been quoted elsewhere.

(1953 Wheatstone Anglo 40 button). Cheers, Zak.