Radio 4 Programme On Concertinas

Pippa

The whole radio site is just so great! I have already listened to two science programs, two music programs and am going to continue. Reminds me a litte bit the programs in Russia, back in the 80es.

It does look like here in the States Hitler's ideas of brainwashing the inferior races are implemented: Music 24 hours a day, local news only, sports and omnipresent commercials.

Are these programs interrupted with commercials while in the air?

No interruptions on the BBC only on commercial programs.

Al

CHRIS AND FOLKS: for better or worse, that's what i sound like. . . . . . .hope my "pronunciation" of "free-reed" wasn't too labored. . . .it's just that if i say it quickly, many people think it's THREE-reed. . . . . .so i lean on the letter "f". . . .

anyway, i thought Paul Evans did a very nice job of putting the program together..............Allan

Allan, "free-reed" was just fine. We found your version of "Newcastle" slightly amusing.

And I agree with you that Paul Evans did a good job. (Where were you recorded?)

Cheers, Roger

ROGER: the BBC has a studio on West 35th Street in Manhattan. . . . .it's all the way over on the west side. . . . .in fact, on a clear day, one can see California. . . . . . .it's in the same building as New York's two public TV stations. . . . . .state-of-the art. . . . .

and what, pray tell, was amusing about NEWCASTLE. . . . . .isn't it New + Castle. . . . .is there a hidden trick that i don't know. . . . . . . .

funny thing is this: i always tell students to make sure they can pronounce any "foreign" words/names/etc. if they're reading a paper someplace. . . . .did i slip up in my own language. . . . .. .Allan

Dear m3838: One of the problems with exaggerating is that one often loses credibility. Thus much as the current political situation in our country (USA) disturbs me (and the list is a mile long), there is no one around, whether now or on the 2008-election horizon, who can be mentioned in the quite the same breath as H.! One of the things -- a very positive one -- that's always struck me about this country is that ideology generally gives way to common sense and a basic feeling of decency to and tolerance for one another. To be sure, this gets lost at times (or at least seems to disappear from view), but it usually manages to come to the fore.

Please excuse the political "rant"............no more in that vein...............just trying to keep things honest................

Allan

Dear m3838: One of the problems with exaggerating is that one often loses credibility. Thus much as the current political situation in our country (USA) disturbs me (and the list is a mile long), there is no one around, whether now or on the 2008-election horizon, who can be mentioned in the quite the same breath as H.! One of the things -- a very positive one -- that's always struck me about this country is that ideology generally gives way to common sense and a basic feeling of decency to and tolerance for one another. To be sure, this gets lost at times (or at least seems to disappear from view), but it usually manages to come to the fore.

Please excuse the political "rant"............no more in that vein...............just trying to keep things honest................

Allan

Weren't it you who said that from the building in New York one can see California? Now that's an exageration.

My comment about the forsight of Adolf Hitler was not an exaggeration, but a paraphrase from "Mein Kampf".

Amongst the other ideas, Hitler laid out his views on how to keep sub-humans subdued. 24 hours a day sports and music, no philsosphy, no serious politics.

Allan

Weren't it you who said that from the building in New York one can see California? Now that's an exageration.

My comment about the forsight of Adolf Hitler was not an exaggeration, but a paraphrase from "Mein Kampf".

Amongst the other ideas, Hitler laid out his views on how to keep sub-humans subdued. 24 hours a day sports and music, no philsosphy, no serious politics.

ALAN AND FOLKS: perhaps. . . . .but i suppose we should be grateful for the little things in life. . . . .let me say that such a program would have been well nigh impossible on this side of the puddle (i think). . . . .allan

Very interesting program - I thoroughly enjoyed it! (though I have to say, Alistair Anderson may not ever have any fingering woes, but I sure do...)

I think you're right about such a program being impossible in America - recently I looked up Douglas Rogers' recordings of Regondi on the University of Michigan online sound recording library, and the instrument was classified as "accordion." I think most people in this country think the concertina went the way of the Ophecleide, if they know what it is at all...

Nick

The whole radio site is just so great! I have already listened to two science programs, two music programs and am going to continue. Reminds me a litte bit the programs in Russia, back in the 80es.

It does look like here in the States Hitler's ideas of brainwashing the inferior races are implemented: Music 24 hours a day, local news only, sports and omnipresent commercials.

NPR is certainly good in the states, and they often carry BBC stories - it's pretty most of what I listen to. I think Allan's point was that there simply isn't enough of a presence in the public eye to warrant an entire half-hour show on the Concertina in the states...I've heard some esoteric things on NPR, but I have a feeling a lot of the listeners would scratch their heads at that one...Maybe in a few years...all of us US concertinists have to do our part!

Nick

NPR is certainly good in the states, and they often carry BBC stories - it's pretty most of what I listen to. I think Allan's point was that there simply isn't enough of a presence in the public eye to warrant an entire half-hour show on the Concertina in the states...I've heard some esoteric things on NPR, but I have a feeling a lot of the listeners would scratch their heads at that one...Maybe in a few years...all of us US concertinists have to do our part!

Nick

I don't think UK public is any more informed about concertinas than US or any other public. Why would americans scratch their heads and the brits won't? A good program is a good program, whether it tells me about something I know, or don't.

NPR pushes agendas, that don't get balanced off by good programs, like BBC's. A lot of NPR programs are quite shallow and predictable. Even the folk music program smells of political correcntess. In the meantime I'm sticking with Internet BBC, what a find!

Nick

I don't think UK public is any more informed about concertinas than US or any other public. Why would americans scratch their heads and the brits won't? A good program is a good program, whether it tells me about something I know, or don't.

NPR pushes agendas, that don't get balanced off by good programs, like BBC's. A lot of NPR programs are quite shallow and predictable. Even the folk music program smells of political correcntess. In the meantime I'm sticking with Internet BBC, what a find!

Well, to each his own, though I would suggest it is very difficult to present information that is completely unbiased - certainly the concertina program had an agenda, it just didn't bother you as NPR's seems to (after all, it's an agenda that we all agree with!) The programs on NPR that I listen to generally give good time to both conservative and liberal pundits, and their debates aren't screaming matches like Fox News (or even CNN, now) seems to be. Like I said, though, my local NPR station carries BBC programs occasionally, so you might check the listings.

The English Concertina is completely English in its conception, so I think that gives it a leg up for English audiences. I think people are more willing to listen to something unfamiliar if they have a common background to it. The English concertina was invented by an Englishman, who championed it for playing in Victorian chamber-settings, and it came back as a staple of a folk music revival in England. American audiences wouldn't have that instant connection, so I think the program is more feasible there.

Nick

(edited for a goofy spelling error)

Edited by njurkowski

There are no commercials on the BBC, it is funded by the sale of its programmes etc to overseas TV and radio stations and by the UK TV viewers who have to pay an annual licence fee of £131.50p or fear prosecution. I for one have no problem with that.

There are no commercials on the BBC, it is funded by the sale of its programmes etc to overseas TV and radio stations and by the UK TV viewers who have to pay an annual licence fee of £131.50p or fear prosecution. I for one have no problem with that.

There is no charge for radio listeners only.

However, they do suffer from persecution by TV Licencing, who think it impossible that anyone can live without a TV set.

I get the occasional letter saying that TV detector vans will be in my area, inspectors will call, etc., so pay up now before we catch you and fine you. :ph34r:

I've stopped worrying about them and ignore their letters.

I haven't had any for a while - perhaps by now they've got the message.

PS I caught the programme on the Saturday repeat, and enjoyed it greatly.

A very interesting programme! Does anyone remember a world service broadcast called 'The Concertina takes a bow'? It went out in1994, the producer was Emma Dyer. Excellent, with the likes of Alistair Anderson in it. A freind of mine was working at the Beeb at the time and got me a tape.

Chris

I always wondered why here in States there can't be the same system.

I'm sure it will only make programs better, if just not having them interrupted every 15 minutes is not good enough.

We do have TV set, but don't watch any broadcast programs, so I should have no fear of inspectors.

Hmm, an anti-TV van in the area...

Reminds me of Russian movies about heroic Russian intelligence angents in Berlin, cleverly evading those Gestapo vans with locators.