Radio 4 Programme On Concertinas

Pippa

A friend sent me this link today, to a programme broadcast on radio 4 at 1.30 today (Tues 27th). Very enjoyable, with contributions from Jenny Cox, Neil Wayne, Dave Townsend, Ali Anderson and more. Link to programme site

It's on Listen Again now (under W for Wheatstone), and should be there till next Monday

Pippa

Thank you for that link. Listening to it now.

My wife has bought me Allan Atlas's book, The Wheatstone English Concertina in Victorian England, for Christmas. Looking forward to reading that.

Richard.

Edited by pugwash

RICHARD: i really hope you do enjoy it. . . . it's ten years old now. . . .showing its age a bit. . . . but i hope it still makes a good "introductory" read.................would enjoy hearing your comments..........Allan

Interesting programme. So, that's what you sound like Allan. Your contribution was much appreciated.

Chris

Here is a link straight to the 1/2 hr programme.

Enjoy

<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.s...atstone_regondi" target="_blank">http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.s...atstone_regondi</a>

Does anyone recognise the non classical tunes that are played?

So I'm listening to some kids' program and a song "It's a sunshine, that makes you wanna play". Where is the concertina?

Seems like the link is not that automatic. It got me to BBC radio, but not to the program intended.

What else should I do?

CHRIS AND FOLKS: for better or worse, that's what i sound like. . . . . . .hope my "pronunciation" of "free-reed" wasn't too labored. . . .it's just that if i say it quickly, many people think it's THREE-reed. . . . . .so i lean on the letter "f". . . .

anyway, i thought Paul Evans did a very nice job of putting the program together..............Allan

Does anyone recognise the non classical tunes that are played?

Fun to try and listen to the snippets you can hear in the background!

Ali Anderson had a bit of the Wonder Hornpipe playing behind him, at around 11:11 minutes

and there were quite a few little snippets in the bedlam of concertinas at Whitney when jenny Cox was talking. I think I heard Valentine at around 22:45 and a few bars of Tom Tully's HP on a bass at 23:10

Chris

AS FOR THE "CLASSICAL" SNIPPETS: if i remember correctly, the order was

Regondi, Leisure Moments, No. 4

Blagrove, Morceaux, No. 3.................those two played by me

Regondi, Serenade

Regondi, Les Oiseaux...............those two played by Douglas

i don't know why Blagrove got in there..........Allan

RICHARD: i really hope you do enjoy it. . . . it's ten years old now. . . .showing its age a bit. . . . but i hope it still makes a good "introductory" read.................would enjoy hearing your comments..........Allan

Yes, I am sure I will, I shall give you my feedback after Christmas, Allan. Good contribution on the radio, btw.

Richard.

Allan you were great as were all the contributors.

My criticism is that it was too short ,many aspects of the English system were briefly mentioned without musical demonstrations. Allan's playing was kept as

background music.I am thankful for any program about concertinas however, so in that respect I welcome it, but little snippets of music did little for the appreciation of the instrument for the general public.

Al

ALAN AND FOLKS: perhaps. . . . .but i suppose we should be grateful for the little things in life. . . . .let me say that such a program would have been well nigh impossible on this side of the puddle (i think). . . . .allan

Very interesting program - I thoroughly enjoyed it! (though I have to say, Alistair Anderson may not ever have any fingering woes, but I sure do...)

I think you're right about such a program being impossible in America - recently I looked up Douglas Rogers' recordings of Regondi on the University of Michigan online sound recording library, and the instrument was classified as "accordion." I think most people in this country think the concertina went the way of the Ophecleide, if they know what it is at all...

Nick

ALAN AND FOLKS: perhaps. . . . .but i suppose we should be grateful for the little things in life. . . . .let me say that such a program would have been well nigh impossible on this side of the puddle (i think). . . . .allan

Very interesting program - I thoroughly enjoyed it! (though I have to say, Alistair Anderson may not ever have any fingering woes, but I sure do...)

I think you're right about such a program being impossible in America - recently I looked up Douglas Rogers' recordings of Regondi on the University of Michigan online sound recording library, and the instrument was classified as "accordion." I think most people in this country think the concertina went the way of the Ophecleide, if they know what it is at all...

Nick

The whole radio site is just so great! I have already listened to two science programs, two music programs and am going to continue. Reminds me a litte bit the programs in Russia, back in the 80es.

It does look like here in the States Hitler's ideas of brainwashing the inferior races are implemented: Music 24 hours a day, local news only, sports and omnipresent commercials.

Are these programs interrupted with commercials while in the air?

Are these programs interrupted with commercials while in the air?

No - the BBC carries no 3rd party adverts - only ads (trailers) for their own networks including at times, future TV programmes. It's what makes the BBC SO special as you aren't constantly bombarded by sales pitch. In theory the presenters are really not supposed to mention brand names but that is a bit more relaxed now.

Keep listening - there's a wealth of stuff on the BBC!

Foxy