Wakker Concertinas

I've been waiting for someone to let us know about the Wakker that is on tour. Whats it like? I imagine most of the people who have had it sent to them are owners of hybrids or Lachenals looking to change up, but has anyone who has played a lot of concertinas played it. From the online building process it looks wonderful, is it loud, is it toneful? Give us a review.

Fred

I can't give a complete review as I gave up attempts at diatonic maddness many years ago, but that instrument was fleetingly in my hands and I venture my impressions:

Our DavidFR brought it to a Stone's Public House session a few months back and played it for us. You asked about volume...it's teeth shattering loud should one wish it (made short work of a set of pipes, wooden flute, hammered dulcimer, tenor banjo, two fiddles, my Albion and a bousuki). David also showed us it's dynamic range which in my opinion was very good indeed (it can play nice with others). The intrument's overall tone to my ear was full, forward and bright (what an Irish/Anglist lusts after I assume).

Finish on the instrument was first rate. The wood grain was beautiful and the raised fingerboard very handsome indeed. The bellows were beautifully put together and the buttons, straps and overall appointments were all well done. It felt good in my hands and I was suprised that the weight was not overwhelming on first hoist.

Had it been an English, I could have taken it for a proper test drive. However, I can say without reservation that it is unquestionably an instrument of quality.

I had the "Traveler" last week and it is a marvelous instrument. If you count Lachenals, I've had access to concertinas with traditional reeds for 9 years now, and over the years I've owned or had a substantial go at Morse, Norman, Tedrow, Marcus, Kensington, Dipper, Edgley (and just a bit of time on a Suttner and a Carroll). I was able to compare the Wakker directly to a Dipper and to the Kensington I have been using a lot recently, as I have lent my Morse to a friend. The Dipper was made for Irish music, so it is small, light, and a bit more strident to my ear than the Wakker. They were all great to play and I could be happy with any of them. Striking about the Wakker was how light it was. I checked the Web site, and sure enough, at about 1050 grams only the Morse comes close. The raised ends were nice-looking, but I would be more comfortable with the flat ends (personal preference). I regretted that I didn't have my Morse as that comparison would have been very interesting. Noteworthy is that Wakker offers a G/D model (the A-3), which some other U.S. trad-reed makers (Kensington, Caroll, Thomas) so far do not. Based on the very even sound and wide range of dynamics of the Traveler, I'll bet a Wakker G/D would be marvelous. It the dollar weren't so worthless relative to the Euro right now (thanks to my dear government's fiscal policies) I'd get in line for one of those. Even nicer will be when the day comes that you can get a G/D with more than 30 buttons/keys in less than five years; at present (on the U.S. side) only Tedrow can/will make you one (accordion reeds) sooner than that.

In short, it is a very worthy entry in the top rank of concertinas, IMO.

Ken

I had it last June and brought it to a workshop where there were several experienced players present who play concertina-reeded concertinas. We were impressed. In my opinion, the sound held its own with any concertina there, including a Dipper, a Wheatstone Linota and my own 1880's-era Crabb or Jeffries. The concertina's responsiveness was also excellent, especially in the mid and bass range.

Daniel

I've been waiting for someone to let us know about the Wakker that is on tour. Whats it like? I imagine most of the people who have had it sent to them are owners of hybrids or Lachenals looking to change up, but has anyone who has played a lot of concertinas played it. From the online building process it looks wonderful, is it loud, is it toneful? Give us a review.

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the Traveler for a few days.

First impression: Light! As I lifted it out of the box I remembered Ken Coles's note that he, too, was surprised by its light weight.

The raised wooden ends are beautiful -- very open and airy. Overall fit and finish is first rate. The engraved W on the thumb rests is an elegant touch. But someone with long fingernails has been wailing on the buttons on the C row -- there are noticeable dings and wear in the finish above the two innermost buttons on each side. [Late edit: Sorry, I meant the G row--see further down in this thread.]

The action is tight and fast. The buttons have the perfect amount of resistance and travel.

The reeds start and stop on a dime. Immediately I found that it's easy to play with speed and precision on this box. I love the tone--more "rounded" and less harsh than my hybrid's.

My wife commented that she likes the Traveler's sound, and that it seemed not as loud as my hybrid. It doesn't seem any less loud to me. It does have a bigger dynamic range--it's easy to play soft or loud. It's very well balanced.

I can only think of two things that would make me like this box even more. One would be larger-diameter buttons. The buttons are much narrower than those on the Anglo I'm used to, and as I result I sometimes find my fingers slipping off the edges, mostly when using my clumsiest fingers, the fourth and fifth on the left hand. I think this problem has been diminishing over the time I've had it, so it's probable that I could learn to love these buttons.

The second thing, which would be easily remedied if I owned this box, is that I would prefer smaller spaces between the holes of the hand straps. One setting is slightly too loose for me, the next is too tight.

To sum up: I like it a lot, and I'm really grateful to have had the opportunity to try it. Thanks, Wim and Karen!

Edited by Michael Reid

But someone with long fingernails has been wailing on the buttons on the C row -- there are noticeable dings and wear in the finish above the two innermost buttons on each side.

Yes, it was that way when I got it. Wim said he was aware of it and planned to repair it before it went to the future owner (apparently it is already bespoke). Actually, it looked to me like it was someone who plays "home is the G row" style. Honestly, you'd think folks would watch things like their long fingernails when borrowing such a valuable instrument. :angry: There's all sorts, I suppose. I know some other makers opt for very hard if less asthetic finishes than French polish shellac, and this may be one reason.

Ken

But someone with long fingernails has been wailing on the buttons on the C row -- there are noticeable dings and wear in the finish above the two innermost buttons on each side.

Sorry, I carelessly wrote "C row" instead of "G row" ( as I think Ken noticed, but was too polite to call me out on). The dings are above the G row, below the C row ... evidence that someone really hammered on the G-row buttons.

[edited for still more carelessness]

Edited by Michael Reid

the traveler has made it to the great state of texas. i recieved it yesterday. first look i wander why some would not treat it better? fine craftmanship, great tone. excellent reaction. im not used to the smaller buttons, yet. the drone key, yet. the jeffires layout, yet. but being asked to hang onto it until after CHRISTmas i just may. :rolleyes: will be takeing to a church signing and signing carols after sunday service. not sure anyone but me will know the different, but i have all ready. any way thanks winn and karen for letting me play this lil jewel. jim overturf {chainyanker}

edit for spelling :o

Edited by chainyanker

Fred

I've owned a Wakker anglo for five months now: it's playing in really well. It's beautifully made and amazingly light. At first I thought it might be too delicate, but that feeling has gone now. The fingerboard and handrest took a bit of getting used too - they are fairly different from my other instruments - Wim now makes an adjustable handrest (duet style).

The tone is excellent - rich and mellow. My instrument has raised hardwood ends and is in F and C - by far the best keys for an anglo. The chords and low notes resonate wonderfully and the whole effect when played with full chord work is organ like, while an irish dance tune can be played lightly and fast.

All in all it's very impressive. I have a Dipper and a Jeffries to compare it with (I know, I know - with other people it's alcohol or gambling). It certainly comes out very well - particularly given the very reasonable price for a full spec instrument. I play the Wakker most of the time at present because the sound is so good.

If you want further recommendation - well, I've just placed an order for a Wakker 39 key anglo (in beautiful birds eye maple)...

• 2 months later...

I see this thread hasn't been active in awhile or maybe there's another? Anyway, haven't posted in awhile, I just spent almost a week with the Wakker Traveler. It's a very nice instrument, I'd agree with the other post about maybe larger buttons but I'm fairly tall and actually most concertinas don't quite fit.

Very fast action, nice tone, soft to loud as you need. The sweet spot was right in between for me, maybe a touch on the lower volume side. The only 'traditional' reeded instrument I've played before is a Dipper and an English Wheatstone but only briefly. I was surprised that the difference in reed tone was not as pronounced as I'd expected as compared to the hybrids. I don't know enough about long scale, etc. reeds to understand. The most difference I noticed was on the high end.

Construction-wise I found it very well made, I'm fairly decent at playing when practiced and it handled everything. No rattles whatsoever. The only thing I didn't like was the use of veneer on the frame but that's just personal. There was wear from playing on the shellac finish but for it to play as well as it did considering the amount of playing time its had is a testimony to its quality.

The best concertina I've played so far. I'm glad they're moving to Washington as I'm here also and my son plays basketball for Gonzaga U in Spokane! Now if I could just get a little more overtime at work......

Lars

I feel I've been somewhat remiss in not posting my review of the Wakker, though Mark Evans kindly put up a brief mention of my visit to the Ashland session with the instrument. So here it is.

Aesthetics:

The Traveller is a beautiful instrument. Everything appears well-constructed with careful attention to detail. French polish is really a matter of taste, but the wood grain of the ends contrasted nicely with the simple black bellows. All the brass fittings are very attractive, and the black pad on the hand rests was a nice touch, though I didn't notice it making a big difference for me in the short time I had the box.

Volume:

As Mark mentioned, the Traveller has very good dynamic range, in terms of total volume spread. You can definitely make yourself heard over (through) a loud session, or cut back and blend in as you like. However, it's not a quiet instrument, especially compared to a Stagi or a Lachenal even when purposefully played as softly as possible. I don't recommend this if you live in a small apartment and have irritable neighbors.

Responsiveness:

The reeds were very quick and responsive at all levels, and well-balanced from left to right. It could more than handle the fastest jigs and reels I can play, with all notes speaking confidently, and none of the melody/accompaniment notes were drowned out while playing morris music. It also made a favorable impression on Tom Kruskal, who took it for a quick spin with some rapper and morris tunes.

Tone:

Despite the wooden ends, the Traveller was very bright. I'm not sure I would enjoy the tone as much with metal ends, but as fitted the notes were not shrill nor cutting even when played stridently. To my ear, it played more like a metal-ended Jeffries or Crabb, and less like my darker-toned, mellower wooden-ended Lachenal.

Bellows/fittings/keys:

The Traveller came with 6-fold leather bellows without any decoration or tooling. I'm a big fan of the look, and the bellows were well constructed, relatively deep, and stiff enough without being hard to manage. I must admit that in side-by-side comparisons, I do prefer my Connor special bellows, which are very deep and thick, but I think that most players will be fully satisfied with the Wakker bellows.

I like the keys, which are light and seem durable. They are closer to the "pin" size you find on Jeffries or Crabbs of 38 keys, but the button height is substantially lower. I don't know if this is designed for Irish music, but for me it would take some getting used to. It could also be a function of the raised fingerboard, but I prefer a slightly higher button.

The straps and fittings were very attractive and well-made, though I have one complaint in this department. The Wakker straps are attached Linota-style, with a fixed brass fitting screwed on the thumb rest with the length adjustment on the bottom. My right thumb presses strongly against the thumb rest when I play, and the metal fitting dug painfully into my digit at times. I would need to change or retrofit the strap attachment to something like the top-screw method were I to purchase a Wakker.

Overall:

I was very favorably impressed by the Traveller. I would highly recommend the Wakker Anglo to anyone looking for a top-quality, traditionally-made concertina.

I like the keys, which are light and seem durable. They are closer to the "pin" size you find on Jeffries or Crabbs of 38 keys, but the button height is substantially lower. I don't know if this is designed for Irish music, but for me it would take some getting used to. It could also be a function of the raised fingerboard, but I prefer a slightly higher button.

The straps and fittings were very attractive and well-made, though I have one complaint in this department. The Wakker straps are attached Linota-style, with a fixed brass fitting screwed on the thumb rest with the length adjustment on the bottom. My right thumb presses strongly against the thumb rest when I play, and the metal fitting dug painfully into my digit at times. I would need to change or retrofit the strap attachment to something like the top-screw method were I to purchase a Wakker.

Though I neglected to mention it in my review upthread, I found the metal strap fitting mildly uncomfortable. But then I saw on Wim's site that he offers a choice of strap attachment styles, including the top-screw method. He also offers three different button-height options, "Irish," "Standard," and "Victorian," ranging from 2 to 4 mm, respectively.