Down (new) Mexico Way..

Hi

If you do take your concertina I suggest that, given the occasional changes in security requirements on aircraft these days, that even if they let you take it as 'carry-on' going out that you make sure that you have a case that will stand up to the rigours of baggage handlers -just in case you have to put it in the hold. I bought a resin case made by 'Storm' which will hold a concertina and seems to be baggage handler proof. Cost about £30-stronger than normal 'concertina cases as sold at Hobgoblin etc. I think that 'Thomas' concertinas uses them to sell their concertinas. I'm going to Columbus (Ohio) in Feb and my Lachenal will be going with me-in the Storm case-can't manage a couple of weeks without something to make music with guitars too big!!

have fun

chris

Well, Albq is a long way from Socorro, but they don't think much of long drives out there. The Blue Dragon (which had a great session, it's near U. of N.M.) has closed up I hear, but some other, new sessions are going. Try www.thesession.org for a listing of Irish, some of which also do other stuff. Also, check the affiliates group list at www.cdss.org. These two sites are the ones I check when traveling in the U.S. There are a number of great musicians in Albuquerque (and dances, too), if you run into them they will make you welcome. Certainly more music than at the other NRAO (that's national radio astronomy observatory for you non-astronomers) in Greenbank, West Virigina, though I once attended a wild dance and string band party there with a bunch of astronomy teachers.

Let us know when you are headed for Ohio, chris.

Ken

Well, Albq is a long way from Socorro, but they don't think much of long drives out there. The Blue Dragon (which had a great session, it's near U. of N.M.) has closed up I hear, but some other, new sessions are going. Try www.thesession.org for a listing of Irish, some of which also do other stuff. Also, check the affiliates group list at www.cdss.org. These two sites are the ones I check when traveling in the U.S. There are a number of great musicians in Albuquerque (and dances, too), if you run into them they will make you welcome. Certainly more music than at the other NRAO (that's national radio astronomy observatory for you non-astronomers) in Greenbank, West Virigina, though I once attended a wild dance and string band party there with a bunch of astronomy teachers.

Let us know when you are headed for Ohio, chris.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I'll investigate your leads. (Albq is where we fly to/from)

I'm not there for long so may not manage to get to anything, but it's always worth a try - even to go along and listen if I don't take the box. (Hmmm... I've just bought a Hobgoblin case - those Storm Cases look solid, but they don't tell you (online) how much and where you can get one)

ps - are there any radio telescopes in Ohio, now the Big Ear has gone )

Hi Chris

I bought my storm case (model iM2075)from a company called jit-pak Northampton phone number 01525 374412

bought over phone it arrived next day. It cost a bit more than I remembered.£29.45 + £9.25 carriage + the government cut £6.77 total £45.47. But I guess if you are 'passing' Northampton you could save a tenner.

the people below may know of more dealers in UK.

Hardigg UK

unit 4 Brookfield Ind. Estate

Leacon Road

Ashford

Kent

01233 895895

Ken

I'll be in Ohio 27th Feb to 5th March 2008 (weather, aircraft, fuelcosts etc permitting)

chris

I bought my storm case (model iM2075)from a company called jit-pak Northampton...the people below may know of more dealers in UK.

Hardigg UK...

Ken

I'll be in Ohio 27th Feb to 5th March 2008 (weather, aircraft, fuelcosts etc permitting)

chris

For those of us on this side of the pond, Hardigg, the manufacturer of Storm Cases, is based in South Deerfield, MA (just down the road from The Button Box). They have contact information for authorized dealers.

jdms

hi Alan

That would be good :D .Maybe the easiest way would be for you to pm me a phone number and I'll give you a call when I get there.

chris

perhaps it might be an idea to post here to let me know if you do pm a phone number to me.

Edited by chris

Well, if you're really into driving...we have a jam in Portales (far east central) the second and fourth Sunday of each month. A little Irish, a little old time, a little bluegrass, whatever we feel like playing that day.