Dipper 30 Key C/g Baritone Anglo Concertina On Ebay

yfried

However,I blame Chris Timson entirely for this purchase, as he left me full of envy at Devon Squeezebox last September when he played his Baritone Dipper wonder, a truly great instrument, Chris. I think my wife may be considering taking out a restraining order preventing me from ever going near a squeezebox workshop ever again - but as I told her, I'd probably be passed-on to Concertina Heaven or melodeon hell beforeI could get a new one made by chateau Dipper!

Delighted to hear that you've got it, and that it's going to someone who wants it to play rather than collect.

I was around at the Dippers last night (social visit - Anne was having a fiddle lesson with their son John), and the subject of this concertina came up. They were somewhat shocked, I think, at the price it went for. They said two things that would be of interest to this forum. First, they'd have been quite happy to take calls from people wanting to know their opinion of this concertina before bidding. Secondly that the waiting lists aren't as long as legend would have it; since they stopped taking any new repair work and decided to concentrate on making new instruments they are starting to make some headway.

Chris

Edited to add PS: don't want to alarm anyone already with repair work with the Dippers. Existing repair work they are still doing. When I arrived last night they were in the middle of a rebuild of someone's concertina.

Edited again to add PPS:-

this is for my singing aspirations, which used to revolve around a D/G Dipper Colin made for me in the 80's, but with the passage of time and my decrepitness, now demands, a C/G range.

If this D/G Dipper should happen to be the bass anglo I believe you have, and if the fancy ever takes to you to pass it on to someone else, well, drop me a line ...

Edited by Chris Timson

However,I blame Chris Timson entirely for this purchase, as he left me full of envy at Devon Squeezebox last September when he played his Baritone Dipper wonder, a truly great instrument, Chris. I think my wife may be considering taking out a restraining order preventing me from ever going near a squeezebox workshop ever again - but as I told her, I'd probably be passed-on to Concertina Heaven or melodeon hell beforeI could get a new one made by chateau Dipper!

Delighted to hear that you've got it, and that it's going to someone who wants it to play rather than collect.

I was around at the Dippers last night (social visit - Anne was having a fiddle lesson with their son John), and the subject of this concertina came up. They were somewhat shocked, I think, at the price it went for. They said two things that would be of interest to this forum. First, they'd have been quite happy to take calls from people wanting to know their opinion of this concertina before bidding. Secondly that the waiting lists aren't as long as legend would have it; since they stopped taking any new repair work and decided to concentrate on making new instruments they are starting to make some headway.

Chris

Edited to add PS: don't want to alarm anyone already with repair work with the Dippers. Existing repair work they are still doing. When I arrived last night they were in the middle of a rebuild of someone's concertina.

this is for my singing aspirations, which used to revolve around a D/G Dipper Colin made for me in the 80's, but with the passage of time and my decrepitness, now demands, a C/G range.

If this D/G Dipper should happen to be the bass anglo I believe you have, and if the fancy ever takes to you to pass it on to someone else, well, drop me a line ...

Chris

Hi Chris

EEEK !! - I dearly hope that the conversation with Colin didn't revolve around phrases like " that baritone was c**p, etc etc" !! Anyhow, I'll know tomorrow when it comes and actually, I can't deny it, I'm really excited. As for the G/D - I know it sounds a bit plutocratic, but I have both a Dipper Treble and a Dipper Bass in this tuning and the Bass is being considered for future sale - I will keep you and another cnetter, who's also enquired, in mind should I decide to "downsize" !

Al

I dearly hope that the conversation with Colin didn't revolve around phrases like " that baritone was c**p, etc etc"

Well I can reassure you on that score. I think they feel that the concertina represented the best that they were capable of 20 years ago when it was made, but that they reckon that with 20 more years of experience under their belts they can do better now.

Chris