Dipper 30 Key C/g Baritone Anglo Concertina On Ebay

yfried

4800 GBP!

Not a record, but a weighty figure to cut to the front of the specialty Dipper line.

May the new owner enjoy and lots of good music be made!

Greg

PS. Although we both over bid, I will concede this episode of The Price is Right to my worthy opponant in Ontario.

4800 GBP!

Not a record, but a weighty figure to cut to the front of the specialty Dipper line.

May the new owner enjoy and lots of good music be made!

Greg

PS. Although we both over bid, I will concede this episode of The Price is Right to my worthy opponant in Ontario.

Greg,

If I had bid I would have been smack on the nail ;) If you had bid I would have been low :angry:

Edited by Paul Read

So, it looks like the winner of the auction, bid 10 seconds before the auction closed. Is that a special bidding technique that he/she used? The previous bid was placed 38 minutes before. Does bidder #4 just wait it out so as not to drive up the price at the very end; and then somehow manages to "dunk" it 10 seconds before the close?

Anyone want to comment on the technique of bidding on eBay? If I ever wanted to get a concertina that was being auctioned this way, it would seem prudent to know the ins and outs of bidding. :-)

Yvonne

So, it looks like the winner of the auction, bid 10 seconds before the auction closed. Is that a special bidding technique that he/she used? The previous bid was placed 38 minutes before. Does bidder #4 just wait it out so as not to drive up the price at the very end; and then somehow manages to "dunk" it 10 seconds before the close?

Anyone want to comment on the technique of bidding on eBay? If I ever wanted to get a concertina that was being auctioned this way, it would seem prudent to know the ins and outs of bidding. :-)

Yvonne

Yes, bidding in advance may well drive the price up, especially if there are two people determined to secure the item, each out bidding each other. There is nothing in the Ebay rules to stop you bidding on an item at the the last second. It is possible to time the pressing of your 'confirm' button just right, seconds before the end of the auction, using a digital kitchen timer with a minute and seconds countdown, set synchronized, just before the end of the auction, to the item's Ebay number of minutes and seconds left. Obviously, you have to be online at the auction's end for this method to work. First, decide on the maximum amount you are prepared to bid for the item and with about 5 mins to go, refresh the page to see the latest bidding activity until about a minute to a minute and a half is left. If you think you are still in with a chance, enter your bid but delay pressing the confirm button until 15 seconds is shown left on your timer. This should ensure, subject to computer foul-ups, that you are one of the last, if not the last bidder. You may still not win the item if a previous bidder has bid a higher maximum bid. This method has worked well for me on a number of occasions! I believe Ebay has a programme that allows you to do something similar. Good luck.

Chris

There's also special EBay software you can download (called "sniping" software, if I recall correctly) that you can use to automatically make a bid in the dying seconds of an auction.

A quick google reveals that it is indeed called "sniping" -

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

I've used it before for various eBay auctions. It's quite reliable. But the only way to ensure you win an eBay auction is to be willing to pay more than all the other bidders. It's as simple as that.

Hi Cnetters

I'm the guilty party who bought the Dipper baritone! I'm a player - 30 years + at semi-pro level in an English country dance band (mainly melodeon...sorry!!) BUT.....this is for my singing aspirations, which used to revolve around a D/G Dipper Colin made for me in the 80's, but with the passage of time and my decrepitness, now demands, a C/G range. However,I blame Chris Timson entirely for this purchase, as he left me full of envy at Devon Squeezebox last September when he played his Baritone Dipper wonder, a truly great instrument, Chris. I think my wife may be considering taking out a restraining order preventing me from ever going near a squeezebox workshop ever again - but as I told her, I'd probably be passed-on to Concertina Heaven or melodeon hell beforeI could get a new one made by chateau Dipper!