My First Concertina Arrangement

Jim Wright

I have what I think is a good arrangement for an old renaisance jig that I just arranged for my concertina and would like to get some feedback on it. I arranged it using TablEdit and it says that you can export the file in abc format. If someone could help me get it posted I would be excited to see what a real concertina musician thinks of it. Please be kind in your comments this is my first attempt!!! :D

Thanks

Jim W

Edited by Jim Wright

Jim,

Is it that you need help exporting it in ABC format from TablEdit or that you need help in posting it? I haven't done the latter yet, so I would leave that to others. If you're trying to export it to ABC, it worked for me for your file, with one problem.

After you select the File menu from the top, then click on export file, then on export ABC, just click File on the menu that pops up and add the file name. The problem was that your C drone, which you have in blue notes in the TablEdit file, disappeared from the ABC file. I haven't added those to any of my TablEdit files, so I don't know how they exist separately within the module. If you could add them as just another part of the original, they should export ok. I should add that I'm using the slightly older TablEdit ver2.60. If your problem was posting an ABC you've already got, sorry for the bother.

Nice tune, by the way.

Thanks SM! I don't know how I got those blue notes,I just didn't take the time to change them,I think I will change those and then work on posting it. It's still a rough draft,but I kind of like it so I am going fill it out with a couple of variations, post it, and then when we get educated feed-backs so we can iron out the kinks then I will repost it.

Great. I hate to post this, since TablEdit is a great program that has changed my life musically, but....

The first time I exported to ABC, I got the deletions I reported.

The second time I exported it, I got most, but not all of the blue notes.

The third and all subsequent times, I got the complete arrangement.

Thanks for posting this fine arrangement. Looking forward to your next ones.

I have what I think is a good arrangement for an old renaisance jig that I just arranged for my concertina and would like to get some feedback on it.

Clearly an arrangement for the C/G anglo, and with only one note (push A) not found on a 20-button. But I also just played it on an English (a new Jackie, but more about that elsewhere) and a 48-button Crane duet.

A couple of clear errors: Measures 13 & 29 (which are the same) have one eighth-note to few, while measures 15 & 31 (also the same) have one too many.

I don't really like the B and A together at the end of measures 12 & 28. Assuming the B is the melody, I would replace the A with a G (could be either push or pull on a 24-or-more button). But if you really prefer the B and A together, Jim, then that's cool. It's your arrangement.

I think this is a nice demonstration that arrangements can be simple, yet still pleasurable. And that there are possibilities (on all concertinas, not just the anglo) between the extremes of melody-only and constant chording.

Well done!

Edited by JimLucas

Well said Mr.Lucas! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear! I did present it rough but I figured my best would be rough anyway. The best part is is that i'm haveing fun with it now and I feel like i'm still climbing that first tall hill on a roller coaster with all best fun just ahead! The concertina is such a fun instrument and I am glad that I found it! Thanks for your input :)

Oh! and by the way. Thank you Stephen for your input. :D I think the blue notes had something to do with the instrument choice. I started the tab as an accordian tab and if you pull the midi properties up on it and open the tuneing tab its different, so, I changed instruments to write it and then change back to accordian to play it back and the blue notes were gone!!!!!!!

I have what I think is a good arrangement for an old renaisance jig....I attached part of it to this.

I don't understand how to access the downloaded file. It doesn't do anything when I click on it and I don't seem to have any software on my computer for that extension type. Help?

I don't understand how to access the downloaded file.

Forget that file. I couldn't do anything with it, either, presumably because it requires the TablEdit software that was mentioned.

But the arrangement has since been put into the Tune-O-Tron, where it's accessible in various formats.

OK, I'm starting to get better at this! for some reason I would make one correction then another would come back that I had already fixed. I think I got it all fixed at the same time. Also, I hammered out the first variation today and I will post it when I can repeat it consistantly enough to write something down.