I Am Excited

After weeks of soul (not to mention piggy-bank) searching, I am getting my hands on a Lachenal 30 key C/G from Barleycorn. Should arrive mid-week.

It's what Chris A. describes as a "basic concertina," but it's all I can afford right now, and I'm still probably a lot more excited than a 37 year old bloke has any right to be about anything other than ... *cough* you can fill in the rest.

The one thing I'm a bit nervous of is the 5-fold bellows, compared to 7 on my "starter" box, but I look forward to adjusting. Any tips & tricks from people who know roughly what they're doing would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Anyway. Thought I'd share this with you all. Will keep you posted.

Congratulations!

Remember that the air button is your friend.

Enjoy the adventure!

Greg

PS. Nothing wrong in being excited about your new box. Ihe instrument will be there for you even when *.....cough* may be in short supply!

The one thing I'm a bit nervous of is the 5-fold bellows, compared to 7 on my "starter" box, but I look forward to adjusting.

I had a 26 button Jeffries G/D with 5-fold bellows at one time . Can't offer any tips, but I will say that it teaches you good bellows discipline. That is, you will soon learn to hit the air button at any opportunity. This is a good thing, actually, and will stand you in good stead when you move on (as you eventually will) to your next box.

Have fun. You will :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

The instrument will be there for you even when *.....cough* may be in short supply!

Especially when she has to listen to me trying to play it. "Not tonight, I've got a headache," and quite frankly I'm not surprised. :(

I look forward to enhanced usage of the air button, anyway. I'll have to pare down some of those lunatic chords I use to accompany me singing so I get more mileage for my pushes & pulls. :blink:

Yes, for all the talk of top-end boxes here, it's worth pointing out that your first Lachenal can be a milestone - it was for many of us older members! It marked the start of real playing for me; and I still own that box, one of the better Lachenals I've encountered. It was also the start of my ergonomic/orthopedic problems, at about your age, so listen to your body and take it easy.

Cheers,

Ken

Number of bellows folds is not an absolute indicator of air supply. Better reeds respond easier and use less air, and obviously airtightness of the whole instrument is a factor too. So there is every chance that bellows control may be easier, depending what your "starter" box is.

Especially when she has to listen to me trying to play it. "Not tonight, I've got a headache," and quite frankly I'm not surprised. :(

With both activities, the ability to find the "button" reliably and repeatedly is vital to playing a successful tune.

Although -- since the concertina has yet to produce its own Jimi Hendrix -- I don't think you can do the air release thing with your tongue.

there is every chance that bellows control may be easier, depending what your "starter" box is.

Here's hoping. My "starter" box was a 30 key Scarlatti from Hobgoblin. Cheaper than a Stagi, and OK in its way -- but it started to deteriorate fairly quickly (especially the lowest note on the push on the chromatics), and the G row was way too squeaky for anything other than the odd tune.

After a longish gap since I last played one, I just wanted to get summat cheap to make sure I'd still got the knack (insofar as I ever had it). Plus, it's playable, and it cost less than £200.

After weeks of soul (not to mention piggy-bank) searching, I am getting my hands on a Lachenal 30 key C/G from Barleycorn. Should arrive mid-week.

The one thing I'm a bit nervous of is the 5-fold bellows, compared to 7 on my "starter" box, but I look forward to adjusting. Any tips & tricks from people who know roughly what they're doing would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Anyway. Thought I'd share this with you all. Will keep you posted.

Picking up on Theo's comments. You can get a lot more available-air on some lesser fold instruments, but with deeper folds. Its the closed to open length difference that makes the playability. (not unlike your other activity!)

The Lachenal reeds, as Theo says, may well be more air efficient as well. However don't forget the effect of the lowly valve in this aspect.

If you are struggling with bellows air, check out air tightness, valve condition and reed set before you invest in a six fold bellows kit from Dave Leese!

Dave

Hi

Doesn't Chris Sherborn(not sure of the spelling) manage pretty well with 4 fold bellows

chris

Actually, I'm not sure whether he has THAT many !

Still........an awesome musician.

Plays a new Wheatstone and if anybody hasn't heard him, he plays with a band called 'Last Night's Fun'

Their CDs are great........but when you see them live you quickly learn that Chris could double......no quadruple his income by taking stand up comedy more seriously.

Enjoy your Lachenal. So many of us owned one, started on one or still have one lingering somewhere.

Phil

Cheers for the responses, all -- and for putting my mind at rest on the bellows front. It's also good to see the spirit of Carry On still alive & well, and living on the internet.

I'll post some pics in a few days time. Of the concertina. ;)

Well, I unleashed the beast earlier on tonight for a little go, and she plays like a dream. The concertina's not bad either. (Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) )

Far more responsive than my "learner box," & -- for all my concerns about the 5-fold bellows -- I've found myself using the air release far less than I did on my other one.

What I'm most taken with is the lovely sweet tone, which was just what I'd hoped for. B)

Hooray! I am well chuffed. B)