Please Name This Tune.

PeterT

If you want picking up and dropping back one evening for The George let me know.

Al, if you can pick me up here in upstate New York, I'd be happy to come along, too.

While browsing for a tune I came across Gordon's Tune, not the same one of course - this one's Irish.

Wonder if it's the same Gordon?

It will be a pleasure David.

Al

So Alan can do the Saint Nicholas thing. Cool.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Found it, the title of this scottish is "la luna dins l'aiga"

Marien

I tried to look it up and asked around among my french connections but it failed, so the best title I can come up with is no more than ´scottiche´.

Thanks, Marien, I still live in hope!

Marien

Indeed. Here it is on thesession.org.

Hi David,

Thanks for this. After Marien messaged me, I had a trawl through to see how close "my" version is to that written. So, I also found "The Session" version.

Regards,

Peter.

Indeed. Here it is on thesession.org.
Thanks for this. After Marien messaged me, I had a trawl through to see how close "my" version is to that written. So, I also found "The Session" version.

There are two versions of the tune at the session link, one in G (on the abc tab) and one in C (on the comments tab). Considered with your Bb version, all three have differences (besides the key), but are clearly the same tune. It's a fine tune that I had never met before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Incidently, does anybody know what the title means, or even what language it's in? "La Luna" is Spanish for "the moon" (probably other languages as well) but "l'aiga" is certainly not Spanish, and google language tools doesn't recognize it as French, and "dins" could be almost anything (but isn't). I suspect it's some sort of ancient proto-romance language.

Considered with your Bb version, all three have differences (besides the key), but are clearly the same tune.

Hi David,

The "folk process" at work! Yes, I thought at the time that it was excellent, and "learned" the tune over three days at the festival. It was a favourite of Gordon's (clearly) since he played it each day, and everyone seemed to like it. Gordon played a G/D box, so probably played it in G.

Regards,

Peter.

Incidently, does anybody know what the title means, or even what language it's in?

Hi David,

My first thought was Provençal or Occitan.

And lo and behold, I found the following Provençal proverb:

Quand la luna luse dins l'aiga, dòus jourch après fai bèu (quand la lune brille dans l 'eau, deux jours après il fait beau)

When the moon shines in/on the water, two days later the sun will shine.

:)

I found the following Provençal proverb:

Quand la luna luse dins l'aiga, dòus jourch après fai bèu (quand la lune brille dans l 'eau, deux jours après il fait beau)

Thank you! Makes me glad that I made the original posting.

Regards,

Peter.

The language is occitan (languedoc) as spoken in the south of France near Spain. I read that the tune is a traditional played by Jean-Marie Blajá (in the region of Toulouse). Ishtar already told us that La luna dins l'aiga means the moon in the water.

Here are dots of another arrangement of the same tune from a french site, sounds nice for 4 fiddles: http://www.marclemo.com/midi/folk/scottish..._dins_laiga.png

Nice tune Peter........I don't suppose you have the dots, do you? I find it 'fast tracks' my learning of a tune' if I can look at them and listen.
I have no idea what it is either, but I've done up the dots from listening to Peter's video.

Peter plays it in Bb but I've also transposed it to G where it fits better on most instruments.

Nice transcription, David!

If you had my Bastari 67-key Hayden, you could play it just as easily in the original Bb as in G.

I've had a lot of good learning on this big box, playing stuff in Eb and F minor.

Of course, your dots in Bb put the tune up far enough that a 46-key Hayden has the required notes -- meaning that you (but not I) can probably tear it off as readily in Bb as in G.

But I'm sure most squeezers prefer G -- especially the Anglos ;)

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

The non smoking ban will definitely be favourable for you Peter.

If you want picking up and dropping back one evening for The George let me know.

Al

Wouldn't like to pick me up too Alan? I only live a short 2 hour flight away :rolleyes:

Ah. The George.

Have to get there some day

Chas

Edited by fidjit

How different, but the saying still it reminds me of something I once heard in the Lake District:

If you can't see the Isle of Man then it is will be raining in less then half an hour, and if you can see the isle of Man then it's already raining.