Crazy Prices On Ebay

nkgibbs

It's enough to drive you bonkers, piles of scrap going for big money. That one doesn't look too bad compared to some I've seen on ebay recently, but to me it would have been worth £120 tops. Perhaps I'm losing touch with dealer prices but isn't that kind of money you'd expect to pay for a half decent playable 20 button in concert pitch?

The other week I watched a lovely, concert pitch Lachenal 48 button treble English with metal ends go for £550. There are times when it all doesn't make much sense...

Englishes do seem to go for cheap compared to anglos. Makes me wish I was better at maths sometimes. ;)

Never done well in Math myself, but English system seems very easy to understand to me. All of a sudden I can read pretty complicated scores, which I wasn't able with CBA. But it's less intuitive, at least so far, and in combination with the ease of reading may make you score bound. Don't see anything wrong with that, but in some situations it may be a problem.

Englishes do seem to go for cheap compared to anglos

Too true...............and think of those lucky people, with both sides of the brain connected who, play duets.......they get magnificent concertinas at rock bottom prices.

Robin

PS.I posted on a different thread about uninformed buying on eBay.This may be another example. I think some people just get over-excited or impulse buy.

Too true...............and think of those lucky people, with both sides of the brain connected who, play duets.......they get magnificent concertinas at rock bottom prices.

Robin

PS.I posted on a different thread about uninformed buying on eBay.This may be another example. I think some people just get over-excited or impulse buy.

The new add campagin for e-bay goes something like It's aways better if you win it. Implying that the pleasure derived from ownership is enhanced by beating out other buyers. Let's face it, auctions are designed not to set a fair value for a product, but to inflate the sale price. e-bay could be providing a real service by creating a great way for people wishing to part with something to find a good home for it at a fair price, instead, despite their on site advice about how to be a good bidder, they play up the emotional part that gets people to overbid and eventually watch the prices for types of items just keep going up and up. Thank god when you go to a store you aren't forced to bid against other customers for your items. I've pretty much sworn off bidding on e-bay. Not much different than organized gambling.

Dana

I have both bought and sold on EBay for over ten years. I have won some great bargains on EBay.

I have sold things for more than I considered their worth. I have also been scammed and lost money on EBay.

The last problem I had was when my auction was ruined by a bidder who had hijacked somebody's password. Things happen.

Ebay is like the Wild West- you have to keep your wits about you and be very careful.

It is a true global marketplace and offers a huge venue both to buyers and sellers.

Compared to some real-life auctions I've attended, or market-places in the mid-east, EBay isn't so terrible.

It is an unpredictable open-market and it often is a gamble.

If you don't like it then don't use it. But it is a fact of life and I am glad to have it available.

I have both bought and sold on EBay for over ten years. I have won some great bargains on EBay.

I have sold things for more than I considered their worth. I have also been scammed and lost money on EBay.

The last problem I had was when my auction was ruined by a bidder who had hijacked somebody's password. Things happen.

Ebay is like the Wild West- you have to keep your wits about you and be very careful.

It is a true global marketplace and offers a huge venue both to buyers and sellers.

Compared to some real-life auctions I've attended, or market-places in the mid-east, EBay isn't so terrible.

If you don't like it then don't use it. But it is a fact of life and I am glad to have it available.

I absolutely agree. I could have written this posting myself (including the stolen password) :o

Couldn't agree more. Everyone seems to have horror stories about eBay, but if you keep your wits about you and use a bit of common sense, it is a fantastic market place. I have sold dozens of items which would otherwise have gone to the tip - it is by far the easiest way to find the one person in the world who actually wants that thing you have been keeping for years. And if you can find two or more people who want it, payday!! When I am buying, I treat it like any other market - does the seller sound reputable? Does he have happy customers?

Closer to home, it gave me the opportunity to buy my first concertina, after months of watching auctions, and learning about what to look for. Two years later, it also gave me the chance to sell it for more than I paid for it. ;)

Again it would be useful to state that before you go on ebay, think of how much money you can afford to lose. That's your max bid and it affects the reserve. I've never won any bargains on Ebay when buying, and always lost money when selling. My luck was in my ability and willingness to put some work into accordions and concertinas I bought.

The last "bargain" was 4 voice Hohner Club. At $500 it was fully functional with great voice. But I had to have it tuned, re-set, air button re-made, re-pad, even-out the keyboard. Now it still needs tweaking in the bass reeds, but it's very functional.

So with added cost it is in the area of $700+. Still not bad, but not a bargain anymore.

The worst was my Hohner B system CBA. I bought it in perfect condition for $700 and sold for $350.

Robin

Robin

Sorry Robin,

Meant to send you a personal note but pressed the wrong button. Still over the moon with the Duet I bought from you. Best box in the world, my other 2 Duets rarely get a look in now. What you said about once trying you wont want another is almost true. It plays better than any box I have ever had - still look at others though, once you get the bug !

David.

Couldn't agree more. Everyone seems to have horror stories about eBay, but if you keep your wits about you and use a bit of common sense, it is a fantastic market place. I have sold dozens of items which would otherwise have gone to the tip - it is by far the easiest way to find the one person in the world who actually wants that thing you have been keeping for years. And if you can find two or more people who want it, payday!! When I am buying, I treat it like any other market - does the seller sound reputable? Does he have happy customers?

Closer to home, it gave me the opportunity to buy my first concertina, after months of watching auctions, and learning about what to look for. Two years later, it also gave me the chance to sell it for more than I paid for it. ;)

I think that the point is...you have to do the homework. As you get more experienced, it's surprising how accurately the condition can be forecast. If you're unsure, ask questions. There is always a risk buying unseen but you have to factor that in. It does help if you can do the work yourself. Even the worst buy I ever made just needed (a lot) more work than I'd planned. The bad buys are offset by the good ones.

However...if you don't know how to repair/restore you should factor in the cost of possible repairs.

Even the worst buy I ever made just needed (a lot) more work than I'd planned. The bad buys are offset by the good ones.

Which really underlines the risky nature of auction buying for the person who just wants a concertina for their own use. If you only buy one you have no way to average out the good and bad.

My absolute rule for myself is to set my maximum bid well before the close of the auction and not to go above it. I am always quite prepared to loose the auction if someone want to bid higher. Its the only way. :unsure:

I have 6 Lachenals, all bought on Ebay, and all at a very reasonable price. 4 of them I am in the process of fixing up and turning over, and when I'm done, I will sell them on Ebay. I love Ebay. I decide what my highest bid is before bidding at all. And if someone outbids me, let them have it. I really like the 20 button Lachenals... And there seem to be plenty of them.