Anyone On Facebook?

Marcus

Well.... I am on Facebook but it kinda drives me nuts. Nuttier. I go there just to say a quick 'hello' to a few peeps but I don't go for sending all those imaginary things on the computer and all that.... :wacko:

So, I prefer not to do much, there.

At the risk of sounding like a Luddite or an old coot (I am neither), it wouldn't bother me if FaceBook and MySpace didn't exist at all. Too many people (especially kids) have been harmed in a variety of ways by misusing social networks (or having them mis-used against them) that IMO their value is far outweighed by the negative social and personal costs some have paid. So, no, I don't use these sites and don't imagine I ever will. I find all the on-line concertina companionship I need right here.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've created a Facebook group called "Concertinas" for those interested. Feel free to join! My Facebook nom-de-plume is "jlfinkels" (same as here).

I hope no one minds but I used a link to http://www.concertina.net/ as the main web page. I apologize if I was not supposed to do this and will change it if anyone requests me to.

--jeff

At the risk of sounding like a Luddite or an old coot (I am neither), it wouldn't bother me if FaceBook and MySpace didn't exist at all. Too many people (especially kids) have been harmed in a variety of ways by misusing social networks (or having them mis-used against them) that IMO their value is far outweighed by the negative social and personal costs some have paid.

True enough, although much of the damage was caused by FaceBook's default level of security in its early days being "No security at all". They've changed things now so that you can only look at anyone's stuff if they've formally accepted you as a friend.

according to facebook

28 May 2009 is the 2nd Annual International Hug a Musician Day

I'll be waiting for mine in the post then. :rolleyes:

It might be a way to tell if your a musician..if someone hugs you or not. lol

I have registered with facebook under my own name, prompted when an actual friend invited me to become a facebook friend. However, I do not give it a lot of my time.

Things like concertina.net, and actually playing are higher up the priority list.

regards,

John Wild

I'm on Facebook too. :)

A lot of it is still a mystery though. I've just discovered that I was poked :blink: by a friend travelling in Thailand in November. And I missed it!

Anyway, I'm in the "English Concertina Lovers" group, which has 17 members. I am not part of the "Friends of the musical saw" group, which is bigger, with 23 members. Anyone play the saw?

Anyway, I'm in the "English Concertina Lovers" group, which has 17 members. I am not part of the "Friends of the musical saw" group, which is bigger, with 23 members. Anyone play the saw?

I don't, but I've recently been singing shanties with someone who does.

And in a concert many years ago, two friends -- on cello and mandolin -- supported me on a couple of numbers. (The cello played the "left hand" part on a Bach 2-part invention, while I played the "right hand" part on my treble English.) We hadn't planned an encore, but when the audience insisted, we decided to ad lib Stephen Foster's "Beautiful Dreamer"... still on concertina and cello, but instead of mandolin, Joel took out his musical saw.

Brought down the house! :D

I don't, but I've recently been singing shanties with someone who does.

And in a concert many years ago, two friends -- on cello and mandolin -- supported me on a couple of numbers. (The cello played the "left hand" part on a Bach 2-part invention, while I played the "right hand" part on my treble English.) We hadn't planned an encore, but when the audience insisted, we decided to ad lib Stephen Foster's "Beautiful Dreamer"... still on concertina and cello, but instead of mandolin, Joel took out his musical saw.

Brought down the house! :D

I read somewhere that it can be dangerous to listen to a saw for too long. Is that true?

Ian

Edited by Hereward

I read somewhere that it can be dangerous to listen to a aw for too long. Is that true?

Well, if you're supposed to be using it to cut wood.... :ph34r:

But more seriously: Standing too close to one of those big blades in a saw mill? Yeah. But a musical saw? I've never before heard of such a thing, and I would very much doubt it. I'm unable to imagine a physical-physiological basis for such a claim. (Psychological, perhaps? :unsure:)

A rock concert, on the other hand, or those big speakers some folks put in their cars.... :o

I read somewhere that it can be dangerous to listen to a aw for too long. Is that true?

It might be dangerous to be playing one when it breaks:

"Ever cut yourself on the saw? No, but I did break a saw once. That was in winter - I was playing in 35 degrees and the blade cracked as I was playing. If I hadn't stopped playing when I did, the blade could have snapped in my face."

http://gothamist.com/2008/07/03/natalia_paruz_saw_lady.php

Or perhaps listening to one for too long has the same effect as a Siren Song and completely removes your free will (or maybe just the will to live)? :lol:

Or perhaps listening to one for too long has the same effect as a Siren Song and completely removes your free will (or maybe just the will to live)? :lol:

No that's just the effect me trying to play the concertina has. I can clear a room in seconds.

...that's just the effect me trying to play the concertina has. I can clear a room in seconds.

So you should get a job playing at hotels -- in India, Iraq, Indonesia, etc. -- to keep the terrorists away?

No, I guess that wouldn't work. You'd also drive away the tourists, and the hotels would go broke. I guess that's not win. :lol:

Hmm. I just noticed the similarity between the words "tourist" and "terrorist". :ph34r: