Anyone On Facebook?

Marcus

Not everyone thinks Facebook is such a great idea. I prefer person-to-person over pixel-to-pixel. <_<

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/comment...iD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Yeah, I know what your saying Yankee.

When I'm driving at 55/60 MPH down a country road & I glimpse an old bloke leaning on his garden gate, I'm reminded of the good old days, when people would have either been walking past, or been on Horseback or perhaps on a Horse & Cart, or Bicycle. Back then, they would have stopped to chew the fat with him & of course that's how folks would know what was going on. Friendlier, happier times in many ways.

Sadly, we can't turn the clock back.

On the plus side { I think .. :unsure: } we can now chat instantly with folks in any part of the World!

Hmmmmmm ... maybe, I'll stop & chat with the next old bloke I see, leaning on his gate! ;)

And why not?

We can't turn back the clock, but many of the old ways are not really obsolete, just neglected. You can make use of them if you wish, and by doing so you'll likely find others who aren't interested in being coerced into social superficiality by the concept that what matters is the number of names you can accumulate, regardless of whether you have any idea who they are.

Meself, I occasionally follow links to FaceBook, or look up real friends there. But then I use other methods to contact those friends. Our friendships are private, not public exhibits. Similarly here. My public posts are about things I want the group to see, but I send personal messages as (what else?) Personal Messages... or emails.

Edited to make a slight change in emphasis.

Edited by JimLucas

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just added a Facebook fan page for my business; McNeill's Music Shop, late of 140, Capel Street, Dublin 1, with photos of the old shop in Dublin, and the new one at Frances Street, Kilrush, Co. Clare, Ireland.

I'd be delighted to see you there! :)

edited to correct link - it seems you have to drop the last few characters!

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Is it posted anywhere publicly? Your info is private.

Howdy:

I'm on there too.

Just posted a concertina related video which is hilarious if you have not yet seen it.

I'm under my name.

Have fun.

Perry Werner

I'm on Facebook as Mark Gilston, and I've got a musician's page there as well where I post all my videos in high quality. I find Facebook a better venue for communication than MySpace, but MySpace is a better showplace than Facebook.

I don't understand the currant penchant for sharing all the details of one's life. I agree with Jim that most communications are best done privately, and the internet is certainly a wonderful venue for that.

Mark

I've been on Facebook about a year. I'm not a big fan but find it is useful for some of my low-tech friends that have a difficult time with e-mail and otherwise wouldn't be on line at all.

Just did a review of the available Facebook groups and came up with several that appear to be Anglo/English concertina focused:

Anglo Concertina Rules! (86 current members)

Concertinas are Cool (202 current members)

English Concertina Lovers (72 current members)

Irish Concertina Players Rule the Session (54 current members)

Noel Hills Irish Concertina School (14 current members)

The Concertina in Scotland (13 current members)

I'm not so sure of the following, some certainly include concertinas but I didn't try to determine what type:

Accordion Concertina (4 current members)

Concertinas (71 current members)

Squeezers (7 current members)

Squeeze Box Players (84 current members)

I play my squeezebox but I'm still cool (8 current members)

Weird Instrument Lovers (1,708 current members)

These aren't instrument specific but might be of interest to some:

I'm learning to play Irish and folk music (136 current members)

Looking for Irish Folk Musicians (17 current members)

I also note other concertina and related groups that appear to be non Anglo/English oriented.

• 6 months later...

They got me now, too. Facebook!

I haven't yet reviewed this thread to find all of you, but if you want to add me go ahead... I'm one of the 35 or so Wendy Stanfords but I'm the only one with a face like a concertina.

I said I was only going to use it as a way to keep up with family photos (since they all do facebook), but then people pop up that I want to say 'hi' to, and -- etc., etc..

I've grappled a bit with their privacy settings but it's gradually starting to make more sense.

Well, see ya there, maybe!

Edit Added --

I just got a user name there to make it all easier, and it's

wendy.stanford1

Edited by bellowbelle

You will find me on there and also "Friends of Concertina Internationals"

We have a picture Gallery of 143 Photos some very rare for you to look at and now over 100 members

I will be pleased to see any of you members of Cnet , that care to join.

Al

You will find me on there and also "Friends of Concertina Internationals"

We have a picture Gallery of 143 Photos some very rare for you to look at and now over 100 members

I will be pleased to see any of you members of Cnet , that care to join.

Al

Don't want to be a killjoy but :ph34r: :ph34r: - be prudent, be pseudonymous, be anonymous.

Five minutes and a serious seeker will track you back to source for ID theft (including using data in Cnet such as your email address, which can then be searched for elswhere,plus using your general location and then add in post code through electoral roles etc etc.

Facebook users revolt against Mark Zuckerberg over privacy ...

23 May 2010 ... Facebook users revolt against Mark Zuckerberg over privacy. This article appeared on p25 of the Main section section of the Observer on ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/may/23/facebook-network-begins-to-unravel

I was on there but quit for good when I realised it was trawling my email contacts for potential "friends." No doubt a hidden privacy setting that I'd missed for I surely never gave permission.

I can very happily live without it.

Tom

I've opted for mostly the 'friend only' settings; only one or two are set at 'friends of friends' which takes in more people, and just the very basic info is set at 'public.'

But, I'm still getting the fine points of 'walls' versus 'news feeds' and what, of each, is visible to whom. I'll figure it out.

I don't want to 'corrupt' any particular concertina feed or site with random stuff or posts by friends, but at the same time I might want to receive the concertina info.

I'll figure it out... :blink:

There's a distinct lack of Concertina enthusiasts on Myspace. Come and check it iut - maybe everyone here should sign up so we can get to know each other better!

I'm on Facebook, and went looking for concertina references, which I did not find.

NNY

There's a distinct lack of Concertina enthusiasts on Myspace. Come and check it iut - maybe everyone here should sign up so we can get to know each other better!

I'm on Facebook, and went looking for concertina references, which I did not find.

NNY

Surely there must be something... =)

I'm on FB with my full name, haven't had any problems with privacy (of course, I have the most stringent settings I could find).

I'm also back to the concertina, and thus back here, after a bit of a hiatus while I got my fingers back around the piano. I'm still playing my Steinway more than my Jeffries lately, but things shift and change, and I foresee more squeezing ahead.

Hi, y'all!