Top Anglo Availability And Prices

Aogan

Hi

I'm also in North Yorkshire and have a C/G and a G/D Dipper. Would be good to get together and knock out a few tunes!

Cheers

Graham

There's an awfull lot of North Yorkshire :D which bit are you in ? I'm on the coast at Whitby.

Hi

I'm in Richmond...love Whitby and visit often.

Cheers

Graham

A decent 30 key lachenal isn't bad at that price though, I would have thought.

It's on the right side of current ebay prices. It depends on whether it's a rosewood (fancy fretwork)-ended as opposed to the mahogany (plain fretwork) - ended ones as to how good a deal it is. Going price on ebay seems to be in the GBP1100 - 1150 area, unrestored

There's an awfull lot of North Yorkshire :D which bit are you in ? I'm on the coast at Whitby.

There isn't all that much of North Yorkshire.

Steve, I see you say you are "on the PNG/Indo border". Are you up the Fly River..? Bit rough on a concertina up there. They get something like 10 metres of rain a year in the Star Mountains.

Chris

Edited by Chris Ghent

Steve, I see you say you are "on the PNG/Indo border". Are you up the Fly River..? Bit rough on a concertina up there. They get something like 10 metres of rain a year in the Star Mountains.

Chris

Chris, the Fly River is in PNG. I am in Australia. Accross the border is another world, and a bulldozer couldn't pull me into either Indo or PNG. And yes, we get a lot of rain, often all day every day for what seems like months on end. Humidity is quite high for about 367 days each year, and is quite a problem, not just for concertinas.

In the past humidity hasn't been an issue for my concertina, as I have had a varnished, black (countersunk) buttons, red bellows Hohner 20 button, which I got by mail order as a youth by writing to a music shop with: "send me a musical instrument & an instruction book so I can learn to play it".

What I got was the Hohner wrapped in tissue paper and a bill for roughly $350 ( for me 2 to 3 weeks wages at the time). This is how I became a player of what I now know to be an anglo concertina.

By comparing it to someone's piano I learned 6 buttons on each hand & play them in unison an octave apart. I have never met another anglo player, and have never heard a concertaina played (until youtube).

Work priorities interfered a lot. Sporadically I have got myself barely beyond the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" stage. Getting online, which led eventually to ebay, then to this forum, then to youtube, I learn (after 20 years) that my fingering sucks, that the concertina is not meant to be played slow and mournfully, and that the left hand is for "chords" or something (still don't know what to do with the left hand).

Ebay has brought me music books. For the first time in my life I am not starved of sheet music. The internet has taught me that the Hohner, (by now well and truly "had it") wasn't much of a concertina anyway and that much nicer ones exist. Hard work, or good luck, or thrift, or something, has after 20 years brought me enough to buy 3 real concertinas (and very nice ones) on ebay.

Now that I know there is a world of concertinering out there, I hope to make it to a workshop or school in 2008, to try to turn myself in to a concertina player.

Bit rough on a concertina up here? Not as rough on one as is my playing!

Not in PNG, pity, I have a thing for that area. Very interesting, as remote as anywhere on earth.

Not sure where or when there will be a concertina school in Australia in the near future. We had one in Gundagai in NSW about two months ago and it was the first one since 1991. That was an Intermediate/Advanced players class. There may be other players in your area you could get lessons off, I think I remember someone being in NT. Suggest you join the concertinadownunder email list on Yahoo and ask there. There would be 30 or so players on the list, from all over.

best wishes

Chris

I just watched a wooden ended 30 button Lachenal Anglo auction on Flogit.

Hammer price £980.

Al

Al,

Was it the mahogany type or a rosewood?

Marien

Sorry that I missed your posting Marien,I rushed into the room when I heard it was on.The concertina belonged to an old lady,the leather strap was hanging off.It looked like rosewood ends nicely fretted,with bone buttons and very pretty.

My thoughts on these instruments when they come up for auction is that they are most likely to be in old concert pitch,so will need tuning.Very likely the pads will have been eaten by moths and will need replacing.These are some of the risks to take into consideration.

I remember two concertinas that I was asked to have a look at.They should be OK he said "I have kept them in a safe place,In the airing cupboard"!!

The bellows were completely dried up and fell apart when I lifted them out of the box. Another had all the reeds in a polythene bag inside the bellows.

Al

Mmm,

Ribblehead (railway) station to Dent station is all of seven miles. Do that in thirty minutes on any day in February and I'll buy you a pint mate! :P

And once the winter snows arrive getting even a few yards becomes impossible ..... the electric goes down and the town can be cut off from the rest of the world :D