Top Anglo Availability And Prices

Aogan

Can anyone give me an idea what the story with the anglo concertina market is these days? Are top quality instruments in as much demand as they used to be? And what sort of money are they selling for?

In the last 3/4 months, ebay has seen prices in the region of £4500-£5300 for Dipper, Wheatstone, Jeffries Anglos. Keen ebay watchers may well have the exact figures.

Regards,

Peter.

Can anyone give me an idea what the story with the anglo concertina market is these days? Are top quality instruments in as much demand as they used to be? And what sort of money are they selling for?

In the last 3/4 months, ebay has seen prices in the region of £4500-£5300 for Dipper, Wheatstone, Jeffries Anglos. Keen ebay watchers may well have the exact figures.

Regards,

Peter.

Cheers. It's been a while since I was in the market for buying or selling a concertina so I'm out of touch :). I've been googling feverishly for the last week or so and can't even find a concertina for sale, not to mind a price for one. :blink:

Aogan,

Presently there is a G/D Jeff for sale in Cnet's Buy and Sell forum:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6645

I think Peter has ballparked the current prices. Ireland seems to be heading the list of competitors for C/G 31b Jeffries. I have the impression that for a strong, unabused instrument in decent playing condition that there would be takers in that market at the $10,000. USD range.

The flat keys seem to be running a bit less, say $6000. to $8000.

I think G/Ds are driven primarally by the english/anglo market.

Wheatstone Linotas seem to come up for sale less often than Jeffries.

Even the 30b rosewood Lachenals appear to have climbed toward $2000.00 in unrestored condition.

Of course we all may be trading our concertinas for barrells of oil before long!

Greg

PS. Some of the "new" vintage instruments are drawing high prices as some folks bid to shorten the waiting time.

Surely, you'd think, that by now, all of the really good playable jeffries and wheatstones have found permanent homes. There must be very few "finds" left on the planet - pristine vintage 'tinas in optimum playing condition. -Which only leaves the modern instruments "new vintage" ones as you put it. I must say I've seen some awful Jeffries and the like. Instruments which I wouldn't play if given them for free, but which are valuable because of the "C. Jeffries Maker" badge. Obviously a good one is a glorious thing, but one has to look beyond the brand :)

Edited by Aogan

Bhuel a hAogán, Is fearr liom consartáin a Suttner. Tá siad díreach in am agus solad. Maith dom mo chuid

Gaeilge bhriste a hAogán. Ní fada anois go mbeidh tú ar an mbóthar go Caslale le Suttner no Dipper.

Slán anois.

hatway anguagelay siay hattay. Or is it a secret?

Bhuel a hAogán, Is fearr liom consartáin a Suttner. Tá siad díreach in am agus solad. Maith dom mo chuid

Gaeilge bhriste a hAogán. Ní fada anois go mbeidh tú ar an mbóthar go Caslale le Suttner no Dipper.

Slán anois.

:)

I prefer the Suttners as well myself. I used to have a cracking 38 key Jeffries, as good as they come, but I then got a Suttner and I honestly preferred it. It would have been nice to have hung on to the Jeffries as well for sunny days and such, as it did sound fantastic but other than decadence, I've no regrets for having sold it.

A dipper is something I've never tried actually. Would love to some day.

If you're ever up this end of the country you'd be welcome to play a tune or two on my Dipper and I'll try your Suttner as I've not come across one of those yet :D

I usually let anyone try a tune, especially if it's a beginner who doesn't think they can play well as often it's the cheap concertina that's holding them back not lack of ability :D

I just watched a wooden ended 30 button Lachenal Anglo auction on Flogit.

Hammer price £980.

Al

Seems like a good price but it's hard to judge the value of an old concertina without having played it. I personally wouldn't think it wise to purchase a concertina without seeing it and picking it up and playing it. You'll tell in ten seconds whether it's for you or not. There is such a massive variation in playability of the old instruments it's a gamble buying in-line. Not a financial gamble in so much as you will always get your money back, but there's definitely no guarantee that it'll play as well as or even in a similar fashion to, another Jeffries or another Lachenal etc.

One thing I would say for the Lachenal's is they can sound really fantastic, but can also be let down in the action department.

A decent 30 key lachenal isn't bad at that price though, I would have thought.

If you're ever up this end of the country you'd be welcome to play a tune or two on my Dipper and I'll try your Suttner as I've not come across one of those yet :D

I usually let anyone try a tune, especially if it's a beginner who doesn't think they can play well as often it's the cheap concertina that's holding them back not lack of ability :D

Hi

I'm also in North Yorkshire and have a C/G and a G/D Dipper. Would be good to get together and knock out a few tunes!

Cheers

Graham

As others have pointed out, Suttner, Dipper and Wheatstone (the new ones that is) have waiting lists that run several years or longer. Having played both several Dippers and a couple of Suttners (and having a Suttner on order... hey I ordered before I played the Dippers) I can truely say that if you really love concertinas, they are worth the wait.

That being said, There are a few other makers who make some pretty good instruments that might have shorter waiting lists. I am not sure, but I think Wim Wakker's might have a short waiting list, and his instrument is quite nice. As is Jeff Thomas's who last I checked didn't have a waiting list.

Sigh, I only wish I had like $50,000 or so just to blow on concertinas as opposed to silly stuff like food and a house :)

--

Bill

Hi

I'm also in North Yorkshire and have a C/G and a G/D Dipper. Would be good to get together and knock out a few tunes!

Cheers

Graham

There's an awfull lot of North Yorkshire :D which bit are you in ? I'm on the coast at Whitby.