New Online Anglo Tutor

To those who may be interested, I have just published an online tutor on Anglo technique. It is published as a Word document, and is not really browsable, but until we overcome such technical hurdles, at least it's there.

To anyone who wants to make serious use of it, it can simply be saved/printed off as a Word doc.

It can be found at http://users.tpg.com.au/cghent/tutor.doc .

Hmmm, don't think that's going to work as a link. oh well, too bad, copy and paste yourself if you're serious. These technical things are beyond me at times.

The tutor has been published with the great help of Chris Ghent, whom you may have noticed is a contributor to this forum, and also the co-ordinator of Australia's (that's where we live) only concertina discussion list.

Now this tutor is not comprehensive, it is not intended to be a competitor to the well-known commercial ones available in books, video, CD-Rom. It tries to supplement them.

It does have diagrams, charts and transcriptions of Irish ornamentation within tunes.

The tutor is of course a free internet resource. I've made no money out of this, I just want to share collective info, and invite more. In time it will be amended and improved with the contributions of others.

So go and have a look.

The link worked fine for me. I'm not going to make a comment on the content, too much there to be flip with, except to say that if you're coming to this from Irish music then it's got to be worth a look. Best of luck with it. I'll put a link in from the Concertina FAQ if you like.

Chris

It can be found at http://users.tpg.com.au/cghent/tutor.doc .

Hmmm, don't think that's going to work as a link.

If your browser is Microsoft (and you have MS Word), then the document should open in a separate browser window, and the basic Word options (e.g., Search) should be available.

If your browser doesn't do this -- or if you simply want a local copy on your own machine -- right-click on the link and then select Download (I think all decent browsers support that). When you've downloaded the file to your chosen directory (which should happen much faster than opening it in your browser), you can then open it in MS Word (if you have it) or in any word processor that can read MS Word document files.

Simon,

It is great that you have done this. There’s enough here to keep me working for quite some time. We are such a pitifully small group of players (I also belong to a small group of pitiful players) that we will never have the resources available to fiddle or guitar. We need to help one another. Every sentiment you express in your general introduction is right on the mark.

I too would like to see this be just the beginning. At some point, after we have read through it, I’d like to see suggestions for logical extensions, a list of additional topics Anglo players would find most useful. Perhaps these can be fleshed out with reader contributions and a general, knowledgable editor (you?) for these comments.

I hope that these forays would be conducted in the spirit you have initiated them. Differences in technique and style should be honored. If topics degenerate into squabbling, the great promise of this start will be lost.

If you are looking for the ABC to the last tune in this tutor, "Brenda Stabbert's", it is really "Brenda Stubbert's" and has many entries. When you click the midi button, the realization will not be as good as the recorded versions, of course, but some are really not too bad for a start on getting the tune in your head.

Would this not be a fine thing to put onto the wikitina? Then people could add their bits and pieces as links off the original ...

This was very much the original intention of the Wikitina, and the Wiki format would have made it ideal for this sort of collaborative venture. Unfortunately, it didn't take off (the last edit was in September last year), so though it is still there I have ceased actively promoting it.

It would be an amazing thing to do, though - to produce a tutor or tutors as a collaborative venture, and then perhaps publish it through the ICA or Allan Atlas's outfit or some such. As I say, if enough people wanted to do it, the Wikitina is still there ...

Chris

I have to admit, I looked at the Wikitina but found it too diificult to navigate.  Not user-friendly for a low-tech like me.  I liked the idea though.

I know what you're saying. Thing of it is that the Wiki is trying to make something inherently difficult (the collaborative creation of a large hypertext document) as easy as it can possibly be. It doesn't always achieve this end, but IMHO it gets remarkably close. It takes just a few minutes to get used to it (or at least, it took me just a few minutes),and to learn how to achieve something that I thought worth while - if it hadn't I wouldn't have bothered with it myself. however the judgement of history seems to be going against me. Such is life...

Chris