Dallas Rag On Anglo

Hi folks, a few clips of my concert at Sheffield Folk Festival last weekend have turned up on Youtube. Here's 'Dallas Rag':

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=blZeRHg6RUM

plus a couple of songs accompanied by anglo, 'All Around My Hat' and 'Six Nights Drunk'

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QHFzCisnuT0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KCG2csH2OMY

Hi folks, a few clips of my concert at Sheffield Folk Festival last weekend have turned up on Youtube. Here's 'Dallas Rag':

Amazing performance. How many buttons on that thing? I tried to replicate the arrangement, and hope I can blame my lack of success on the fact you have notes I lack, but suspect skill is also part of the equation!

Edited by Jim Besser

Amazing performance. How many buttons on that thing? I tried to replicate the arrangement, and hope I can blame my lack of success on the fact you have notes I lack, but suspect skill is also part of the equation!

I've got 40 buttons, Jim, counting the LH thumb button, and I do use some of the extra ones in the arrangement, chiefly the duplicate pulled Bb on the RH (lower end of C row - handy in the very first phrase), my pulled E on the RH (lower end of G row - really useful in bar 5 and elsewhere) and a pulled C on the LH which helps fill out the chording in bar 4.

So yes, I am cheating!

Brian

I agree, Jim. This tune has been in Brian's repertoire for 20+ years, but his arrangement has not remained static.

Brian has let us into some of his "trade secrets" in his response. Bear in mind that much of this tune is played on the draw (a study of the video will show just how much, and which passages of the tune). 40 keys certainly helps, but any Anglo with 30+ gives options for playing on the draw [for the benefit of newer players reading this thread].

Regards,

Peter.

Extra buttons or not, it's amazing playing, for the musical "feel" as well as the incredible technique.

Are you playing any melody notes at all on the left hand, or are they all on the right?

I've got 40 buttons, Jim, counting the LH thumb button, and I do use some of the extra ones in the arrangement, chiefly the duplicate pulled Bb on the RH (lower end of C row - handy in the very first phrase), my pulled E on the RH (lower end of G row - really useful in bar 5 and elsewhere) and a pulled C on the LH which helps fill out the chording in bar 4.

So yes, I am cheating!

Brian

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. Jody, I enjoyed your October Tune of the Month too!

Extra buttons or not, it's amazing playing, for the musical "feel" as well as the incredible technique.

Are you playing any melody notes at all on the left hand, or are they all on the right?

I play the first two notes of the tune (G and A) on the pull on LH, and go back to the LH for the A in bar 15 of the first part. In the second part I play the A and G# in bar 13 on the push on the LH top row.

I received a PM relating to this thread asking about the precise layout of the buttons on my Crabb, and I've now drawn up a plan (see below). This (as far as I can remember) has never been changed since I bought the instrument at Hobgoblin Crawley in the early 1980s. If I'd ever thought about it hard enough I'd probably have changed quite a few reeds around, since there is quite a bit of duplication. The honest truth is that the only 'extra' buttons that I use with any regularity are the pushed F on the LH (for the F chord), the pulled Bb on the RH in Dallas Rag, and the reversed D/E on the RH which I use all the time, especially that pulled E. The paired buttons below the G row aren't very easy to finger, which is why I've never altered them to something more useful. Oh, and that rather unusual button 2 on LH top row, with Bb in both directions, is very handy for playing in the key of F.

Brian

post-1365-1194191728_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. Jody, I enjoyed your October Tune of the Month too!

I play the first two notes of the tune (G and A) on the pull on LH, and go back to the LH for the A in bar 15 of the first part. In the second part I play the A and G# in bar 13 on the push on the LH top row.

I received a PM relating to this thread asking about the precise layout of the buttons on my Crabb, and I've now drawn up a plan (see below). This (as far as I can remember) has never been changed since I bought the instrument at Hobgoblin Crawley in the early 1980s. If I'd ever thought about it hard enough I'd probably have changed quite a few reeds around, since there is quite a bit of duplication. The honest truth is that the only 'extra' buttons that I use with any regularity are the pushed F on the LH (for the F chord), the pulled Bb on the RH in Dallas Rag, and the reversed D/E on the RH which I use all the time, especially that pulled E. The paired buttons below the G row aren't very easy to finger, which is why I've never altered them to something more useful. Oh, and that rather unusual button 2 on LH top row, with Bb in both directions, is very handy for playing in the key of F.

Brian

post-1365-1194191728_thumb.jpg

brian, do you mind if i edit your jpeg and make scale charts?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=blZeRHg6RUM

plus a couple of songs accompanied by anglo, 'All Around My Hat' and 'Six Nights Drunk'

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QHFzCisnuT0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KCG2csH2OMY

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that.

Absolutely brilliant playing as always.

All the best.

Martyn