Anglo Instruction In Ohio

Eva O

I'm brand new to the concertina, having purchased a humble Hohner D40 20 key Anglo just a month ago. I've started off with the Absolute Beginners Concertina Book, and last week I started to work through the great John Williams DVD that so many have recommended (with good reason!). While I feel good about the progress I've made on my own so far, I know that before long I would very much like to study with an instructor. Can any of you point me to someone in Ohio? Central Ohio would be ideal, but I'd be willing to travel to Cleveland, Dayton or Cincinnati once a month if necessary.

I know there were some fantastic workshops over the summer that I managed to just miss, including one in Cincinnati. I will look for those again in Summer of '08, but I'm hoping for some guidance before then.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

There are a handful of us around Columbus, but nobody at instructor level. I still think it would be nice to get everyone together once in a while just to play and talk. Actually, if we had a group together, maybe we could get someone like Jody to come out and do a workshop. Greg J does the occasional beginners workshop in Cincinnatti, but it sounds as if you are past that. I am perfectly willing to get together with anyone around town to talk 'tinas.

Alan

There are a handful of us around Columbus, but nobody at instructor level. I still think it would be nice to get everyone together once in a while just to play and talk. Actually, if we had a group together, maybe we could get someone like Jody to come out and do a workshop. Greg J does the occasional beginners workshop in Cincinnatti, but it sounds as if you are past that. I am perfectly willing to get together with anyone around town to talk 'tinas.

Alan

Jody will be at our 4th annual Palestine (northeast Texas) Concertina Workshop, and Old Time Music festival, in late March, repeating his appearance last year. I just drove that stretch from Ohio, and it can be done in a little over a day. Dates will be posted later in the year. And we'll have lush spring foliage ---dogwoods and azaleas---while you still have slush and grey. To say nothing of BBQ.

Presumably you already know that Noel Hill gives a workshop in Cincinatti.

Cheers,

Dan

Knew that. And I attended a worksop by Brian Peters last spring down in Cincinnatti.

Jody and Brian are playing more in the styles I personally are interested in, myself, than Noel. I don't know what Miss Eva is interested in. I am just thinking that we have enough players here that we could get together and occasionally bring in various folks to give workshops. Between times, we could act as support for each other, sharing resources and knowledge. The internet is great, but it doesn't beat being able to see folks face to face, being able to try out instruments that folks already have when someone is looking to upgrade and trading information. I learned a lot by going out to NESI last year, as I could see what folks were doing. Likewise, the time I spent with Bob Tedrow when he was up here was useful. I am tempted to just say next Saturday i will be at the Sawmill Borders at one and if any one wants to talk 'tinas, cool, just because it would be worthwhile. If enough folks showed up, maybe in the future we could get Greg or Wally to come up, or Frank to come down and talk to us. Or if we heard about someone coming through the Midwest, we could arrainge for Central Ohio to be a stop. For that matter, it might be a way to arrainge for trips and car pools when someone is nearby but not able to come to Central Ohio. If the instrument is in a revival, and it appears to be, a local group would also be useful in helping new and young players obtain information and guidance. Just my thoughts, nothing is written in stone, but untill we get some folks to that level they can teach, or someone moves here, it just seems like the next best thing.

Alan

Eva_O

What musical styles/traditions do you aspire to play?

Ken

next door in Pennsylvania

Hi Ken:

I am still figuring that out, but I enjoy Irish style very much. I'd also like to be able to accompany singing for folk and seafaring tunes. I think I read in another forum here recently that the Irish style features the concertina as the "lead" instrument, while the English style is more about accompaniment. Assuming this is true, if forced to choose, I'd probably go with the English style at this point.

I'd be curious to know of the styles you find most in PA, Ken.

Thanks,

Eva

Alan

Alan,

Great ideas! If we could get a group together, I know that no matter at what level each of us is playing, an exchange of ideas and advice in person would be very helpful. It certainly would be great if the power of our numbers was enough to get someone here for a workshop. Thanks for the suggestion of meeting up - I will do my best to swing by Borders at 1:00 on Saturday, 11/3 so we can talk more.

I would actually be very interested in a beginners workshop in Cincinnati. Where can I find more info about Greg J so I can inquire about the next planned workshop?

Thanks much,

Eva

Hello Eva O,

I live in northern KY close to Cincinnati, OH. Cincinnati has an Irish traditional music school, Riley School, that meets on Saturday mornings.

http://www.rileyirishmusic.com/modules/home/

Wally Carroll does the advanced concertina class and Tim Clarke has been doing a beginners (just one person at present, I believe). Both are excellent players and instructors.

As far as Columbus, OH area players: You've met Alan via this forum already. An Irish trad string musician, Randy Clepper is working on anglo and so is a fellow named Brook, who attends Riley School. I think there might also be an attendee from this summer's Noel Hill camp in your area as well. And I believe Jeff stallard, who belongs to this forum, plays an english concertina.

So I'd say you have the makings of a support group in your area.

Presently one of my main areas of attention is the repair and refurbishment of concertinas. So you may want to be in touch when you are ready to move up to another instrument. I'm also available for workshops or private lessons.

Hope to meet you soon,

Greg

Hello Eva O,

I live in northern KY close to Cincinnati, OH. Cincinnati has an Irish traditional music school, Riley School, that meets on Saturday mornings.

http://www.rileyirishmusic.com/modules/home/

Wally Carroll does the advanced concertina class and Tim Clarke has been doing a beginners (just one person at present, I believe). Both are excellent players and instructors.

As far as Columbus, OH area players: You've met Alan via this forum already. An Irish trad string musician, Randy Clepper is working on anglo and so is a fellow named Brook, who attends Riley School. I think there might also be an attendee from this summer's Noel Hill camp in your area as well. And I believe Jeff stallard, who belongs to this forum, plays an english concertina.

So I'd say you have the makings of a support group in your area.

Presently one of my main areas of attention is the repair and refurbishment of concertinas. So you may want to be in touch when you are ready to move up to another instrument. I'm also available for workshops or private lessons.

Hope to meet you soon,

Greg

That's a great lead, Greg, and I've already e-mailed Wally to follow up and find out more. Good to know you're available for both repairs and for private lessons too. If I decide I can't face driving to Cinci every weekend throughout the winter, I may check with you to see if lessons once or twice a month would be possible.

Many thanks for the great info!

Eva

Eva_O

What musical styles/traditions do you aspire to play?

Ken

next door in Pennsylvania

Hi Ken:

(....)

I'd be curious to know of the styles you find most in PA, Ken.

Thanks,

Eva

Eva,

I've only been in Pennsylvania a few years - I had a much better feel for the concertina scene in the state of Indiana, where by 1999 I think I knew or knew of every player of concertina (about 12 or 15 altogether). In Pittsburgh we have one experienced anglo player in a local Irish group (I have only jammed with him once), a couple of players of English, and of course our friend here, Leo (who I will meet someday, I'm sure!). As with so many things in PA, I suspect most of the action is over in the other, east end, around Philadelphia.

Music is where you find it, or where you make it. Many of us started out completely solo, so it sounds like you'll do better than that, and you'll meet some of the folks here in person.

Ken

At one point at the Dublin Irish festival we had five area anglo players together at Bob Tedrows table, including Randy, Brook and myself. We had also had another fellow with a new Rochelle, and a fellow playing sea chanties on an old twenty button hohner. The current president of Columbus Folk Music plays a Wheatstone English, I think his name is John. I haven't seen anything from Mary Ann Robison on line recently, but she also lived around here a year ago when she was active on the board. My personal intrest is old-time and western music. That is off the top of my head, as far as players, but there are probably a few more.

Alan

Hello Eva,

Welcome! It great to hear there's another player nearby. I started on anglo back in the spring, when I bought a nice old rosewood-ended Lachenal from Greg J. I make progress in spurts -- so far the concertina has had to take a back seat to my "bread-and-butter" instruments of (primarily) bouzouki, guitar and hammered dulcimer. I play Irish traditional music, and my goal with the concertina is Irish-style melody playing. I would love to have been able to take Noel Hill's workshop in Cinci, but with the demands of my "day job", family, and gigs I haven't been able to spare an entire week to go. Similarly, gigs on weekends make it hard for me to get to Cinci for the Riley school classes, which are taught on Saturdays. I also have to be careful not to overdo some tendinitis problems I've wrestled with in the past, as I play a lot on the other instruments and often risk further injury (another reason intense, week-long workshops don't work well for me...).

Right now what would work best for me is an occasional workshop or lesson with Greg or Wally or someone. I am past the beginner stage, but could stand to benefit from further instruction. I do well at learning on my own, but I haven't had much luck at finding good self-instruction material for the cross-row, Irish style. The John Williams DVD was very helpful, but I think I'm ready for the next step. Noel's method would be a likely next step for me, were it not for the week-long class format. I've spoken with Greg and Wally about an occasional lesson, but I just haven't made it down there yet. I'm up for discussing options, where I can fit them in.

Randy

I actually did show up, even though Eva said she couldn't. I figured if she took it seerious, so might someone else.

Anyway, I too could use the occasional sit down with an English style player, not really being interested in playing Irish music. Listening is just fine. I can sit down with a sheet with the tune and play a melody just fine, and in several keys at this point, but the left hand chording still is difficult fof me especially putting it all together. It doesn't take long for me to memorize a melody. I think I need to probably do the same type of thing with the chording, making note of the direction of the notes on the other side. (Admittedly both Jody and Brian have told me this.) Then there is putting the voice over the top of it after I learn the rest.

I still think the occasional get together here is a good idea. With as many players as we have here, we can act as mutual support if nothing else.

Alan

I actually did show up, even though Eva said she couldn't. I figured if she took it seerious, so might someone else.

Anyway, I too could use the occasional sit down with an English style player, not really being interested in playing Irish music. Listening is just fine. I can sit down with a sheet with the tune and play a melody just fine, and in several keys at this point, but the left hand chording still is difficult fof me especially putting it all together. It doesn't take long for me to memorize a melody. I think I need to probably do the same type of thing with the chording, making note of the direction of the notes on the other side. (Admittedly both Jody and Brian have told me this.) Then there is putting the voice over the top of it after I learn the rest.

I still think the occasional get together here is a good idea. With as many players as we have here, we can act as mutual support if nothing else.

Alan

Sorry again about not being able to join you last weekend, Alan! I still definitely agree about getting a group of us Mid-Ohioans together from time to time, since we seem to have a decent number here. Saturdays and Sundays are generally good for me, including this week and next. Any other Buckeyes up for it some time soon? Sounds like Randy is spread thin, but maybe a quick meet-up would work into his schedule.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Eva,

If you are interested in exploring the English style, I highly recommend Alan Day's tutor. (it actually had its genesis when Alan put something together for me to get me started in the style a number of years ago) It would be right up your alley. He has it on-line and it is set for a 20 button instrument! He is on C-net. It will get you off to a great start in the English style.

Dan