The Clock Is Wrong

Your time is an hour out? Mine is 6 hours out. Local time for me is 7.30 am right now. When I post this it'll probably say about 1.30. I can understand that, we have to have a common time since this group's membership is worl-wide. I'd prefer it if it were GMT, though (then it would be nearly right, for me anyway :-))

Chris

The post time for each entry will always be wrong in all but one time zone. Paul's in the same time zone I am, so I'd expect it to agree (it did on the previous forum).

But click your profile, and your local time should be off by just an hour (if you use DST).

1) I think having a common clock is a good idea. Using the poster's local time on each message will result in some messages appearing to be answered before they're posted.

2) Chris T. suggesting that GMT would be a good common time reminds me of the time the Wall Street company I worked for tried to set a common time for its offices world wide. Everyone liked the idea, but *which* time? Someone in New York suggested GMT, which raised a hue and cry not only from the Japanese, but also from the Brits, who said, "We have no idea what GMT is (especially during the summer), but we *all* know what time the stock market opens in New York." So US Eastern time, summer or winter, became the standard.

3) A common clock is good, but telling me it's *my* *local* time when it's not? That's just plain wrong.

4) I remember noticing earlieer that my "local" time was wrong, and I was frustrated that I could find a way to set it. Now I can't even find where it's displayed. (Oh, it's at the top of each of my messages, but I remember something that actually *said* it was my "local" time. Now I can't find it.)

5) I don't know how it works with Unix boxen or Macs, but on Microsoft systems the user's local time is a system setting, readily available to all programs, so it should only be wrong if the user has set it wrong on their computer.

4) I remember noticing earlieer that my "local" time was wrong, and I was frustrated that I could find a way to set it. Now I can't even find where it's displayed. (Oh, it's at the top of each of my messages, but I remember something that actually *said* it was my "local" time. Now I can't find it.)

5) I don't know how it works with Unix boxen or Macs, but on Microsoft systems the user's local time is a system setting, readily available to all programs, so it should only be wrong if the user has set it wrong on their computer.

Jim-

4) Click on your name to view your profile. It's in a box on the left. Search the page on the word "local" if you have to.

5) This one seems to be intrinsic to the web site. It's not only off by an hour, but the "minute hand" isn't quite synchronized with my computer.

BTW, for most online clocks to be correct, not only must your own computer's clock be set to the correct time, but the DST switch must be correctly set. That is, if it's 4:00 PM GMT and 12:00 noon EDT in New York but I have my clock set to 12:00 noon EST, a web based clock will think it's 5:00 PM GMT and show my time wrong as 1:00 PM EDT.

Got that?

Odd ... I don't see any problems with the clock settings.

My Controls | Board Settings has a drop-down list to select your time zone, plus an adjustment checkbox for daylight savings time.

I set those to Mountain Daylight Time. My posts show the correct time, as does my user's profile.

Edited by Michael Reid

My Controls | Board Settings has a drop-down list to select your time zone, plus an adjustment checkbox for daylight savings time.

I set those to Mountain Daylight Time. My posts show the correct time, as does my user's profile.

Thanks, Michael.

OK, I've done that, and all the pages now show the correct time. Is this something I'm (we all are) going to have to do twice a year now, along with all the other clocks and the smoke alarm bateries?