Duets And Midi

seanc

Probably a stupid question..

But are the keyboard layouts (i mean button positions and spacing, etc.) the same on all/ most duets?

If they are, wouldn't a midi be a great way to go? just alter the map from Hayden to crane to mccan etc?

Is there anything out there that does that?

just a thought and a nice way to try all of the possible combinations

But are the keyboard layouts (i mean button positions and spacing, etc.) the same on all/ most duets?

If they are, wouldn't a midi be a great way to go? just alter the map from Hayden to crane to mccan etc?

I think the best way to try all the systems is to make a paper map, then learn a few songs on it from the score. In two-three weeks you'll know the differences in the systems by heart.

It's accurate, cheap, handy and available. It's not a toy, not as cool, but then are you driving Ferrari to work?

I'm no expert on this but the layouts look quite different to me. The MacCann has six rows of buttons and the Crane five, I've not paid much attention to the Hayden but I have a vague recollection that it looks more like an anglo layout than anything. A duet midi concertina could but made but not an all systems one I fear.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Concertina Connection bring out a Hayden midi in the fullness of time though.

Even within the same family of Duets there are variations: missing notes( 35 vs 55 vs 65 keys), off set keys, air button, etc..

One way to accomplish what you want would be to make a modular keyboard: a keyboard where you could move and arange the buttons. It might be possible to build somethign which would have similiar arrangements to the 3 primary duet families.

If you don't mind not pushing a button in, imagine a touch screen on each side like on a pda, then you could have infinite arrangements with a single keypad, but you would lose the tactile feel of buttons.

Still, I think you could work out a system using electronic buttons which could be slid around within a tolerance to yield the set up you want. Or in the very least have interchangeable keypads: if they were purely electronic buttons, with no actaul concertina action, the cost would not be that high.

Since were talkign about a duet, bellows direction is not as important as in an anglo, you could probaly get a way with no velocity sensitivity anda very simple in/out direction sensor.

Edited by Hooves