Wikipedia Entry On Concertinas

wntrmute

I've taken it on myself to update the Wikipedia entry on Concertinas. Basically, I group the different types in a way that seems more logical, gave Uhlig credit for the German concertina, and added a brief history that I mostly stole, errrr, adapted from the great Concertina.com history of the Anglo in the US. (Actually, I didn't knowingly swipe any verbage.)

Hopefully it is an improvement, but if it isn't, anyone can change it.

Both the beauty and the weakness of the format.

I've taken it on myself to update the Wikipedia entry on Concertinas. Basically, I group the different types in a way that seems more logical, gave Uhlig credit for the German concertina, and added a brief history that I mostly stole, errrr, adapted from the great Concertina.com history of the Anglo in the US. (Actually, I didn't knowingly swipe any verbage.)

Did Danny Chapman have a "hand" in it? Those are his in the photo. Mike

I've taken it on myself to update the Wikipedia entry on Concertinas....

Thanks, its a lot better than before from my picky point of view. The only thing that stands out is that AFAIK Uhlig never patented his invention, and it was merely announced as a new style of accordion - “Accordeon nach neur Art” in his entry in Chemnitzer Anzeiger Nr. 57 (19. Juli 1834). See Stephen Chambers article Section 5.

I've taken it on myself ...

In the month and a half or so since you joined, I've been vaguely thinking about saying something clever about your userid. There are George Case concertinas--we never hear Case's first name, after all (unless that is his first name and it's his last that we never hear--but then I'd need to work in Molly, whose fingernails would make concertina playing problematic (well, she could keep them retracted), and then there's the whole Tessier-Ashpool thing...

(For anyone saying "huh?" this is all in reference to William Gibson's Neuromancer, which involves a powerful artificial intelligence named Wintermute. There's no reference to concertinas unless you really reach hard from the fact that the main character's name is Case, as I did above.)

jdms

"...instruments which allow the pitch of the notes to be sharped or flatted by the performer..."

What was the basis for this interesting instance..? It may not be yours of course...

Best wishes

Chris

"...instruments which allow the pitch of the notes to be sharped or flatted by the performer..."

What was the basis for this interesting instance..? It may not be yours of course...

That was there already. I kind of thought it was goofy, but I guess such a thing could be done. Harmonica players can bend notes by changing the shape of the mouth. I have noticed, though, that if you tap one side of a 'tina while playing a note, you can get a kind of vibrato sound -- maybe the original contributor is mistaking technique for mechanics. Of course on a midi it is completely possible -- trivial, in fact -- to do that.

There's a lot that I left in from the earlier version, and some stuff I left out -- like the Nickold's claim to being the 'inventor' of the Anglo-German, etc.

The only thing that stands out is that AFAIK Uhlig never patented his invention...

A couple sites claimed he had a patent, but without attribution. I'm pretty sure Germany had a patent office, though it may have gotten blowed up at some point in the last century. I certainly hope the man had a patent, otherwise he wouldn't have seen a dime from the thousands of concertinas built according to his design that were sold around the world.

I'll probably take another whack at the article at some point in the coming week, and change 'patent' to announce or design or something, if that's more appropriate.

there's the whole Tessier-Ashpool thing...

Yes, I loves me some Gibson books. The lack of concertinas is problematic. Though I'd think the loa would like 'em.

ETA: A lot of other people have helped out it seems, the corrections with regards to South Africa were especially good. Though I do object to the removal of the word 'bouncy.' I got it from my English Hungarian phrasebook, after all. Next, I'd like to clean up the sections on the Chemnitzer and Bandonéon, since right now they are pretty sketchy, and get some proper footnotes and attributions for the whole article. Sheesh, this could turn into a thesis.

ETAYA: I wonder if when the article says: "modern experiments in concertina construction include chromatic scales offering more than 12 steps per octave" if it is refering to the kind of temperment where a D# isn't the same as an Eb? Is that a 'modern' innovation? I thought the more modern approach was equal temperment. I think that whole bit about modern eperiments could just be changed to reflect the development of the midi concertina...

Discuss amongst yourselves, I'm verklempt.

Edited by wntrmute

That was there already. I kind of thought it was goofy, but I guess such a thing could be done. Harmonica players can bend notes by changing the shape of the mouth. I have noticed, though, that if you tap one side of a 'tina while playing a note, you can get a kind of vibrato sound -- maybe the original contributor is mistaking technique for mechanics. Of course on a midi it is completely possible -- trivial, in fact -- to do that.

Possibly it is a reference to Tom Tonon's pitch bending accordion?

Amongst the issues I have with wikipedia; a single author has a single approach and their prejudices can be plain and allowed for, but a committee approach panders to everyone's prejudices and misinformation, leading to an article full of tangents.

Thanks for the link to the Hungarian dictionary, I have not forgotten that sketch, last saw it in the 70s..!

Chris

Edited by Chris Ghent

Possibly it is a reference to Tom Tonon's pitch bending accordion?

The BluesBox accordion website does mention concertinas on the front page, and shows a cajun accordion and a Saltarelle button box modified to include pitch bending. It also has this interesting information on the "technical" page:

Charles Wheatstone, an Englishman who invented and developed the English concertina in the latter half of the nineteenth century, was aware of some ways to alter the pitch and volume of bellows driven free reed instruments, but apparently was unable to commercialize them. Wheatstone did patent some pitch altering features in the symphonium, primarily for tuning purposes, and attempted to develop a large, console type free reed instrument that operated from a wind chest with bendable speaking notes. The formidable nature of the mechanical design in this latter instrument was apparently not suited for commercialization in either large or small instruments. Some western builders since Wheatstone have made other attempts at pitch bending; however, none of these appear to reflect a fundamental understanding of how bending occurs.

In my quest to make the wikipedia entry useful, I have some questions:

1. Was Jones the developer of the Anglo-German or was Nickolds? I've seen different information on this on different sites. Was the Jones invention actually the Anglo-Chromatic or 26 button version?

2. With regards to bellows, the German styles and some Anglos have bellows frames while the English styles don't seem to use them. Are the bellows frames decorative or functional? My guess it that they allow for longer bellows by adding support for the bellows. How long do the English bellows tend to range? I've seen 4 to 8 folds so far, are they generally any longer than that? How many folds are in a Chemnitzer or Bandoneon bellows, 12 to 16?

3. Would it be useful to create new pages for the English, Duet, and Anglo concertinas? The Anglo is starting to really take over the page (as well it should ;) ). We could include more detail about the button layouts and such, and let the main concertina page stand as more of a brief overall view of the different types.

4. Are there any pictures in the public domain of Anglos and Duets? Wiki apparently is pretty draconian about image copyrights.

• 1 month later...