Making New Straps

ocd

The straps in one of my concertinas are too short (the ends have broken away). What is a good source for strap leather?

Thanks,

ocd

I am assuming English type thumbstraps?

These are a sandwich of leather felt and linen.

David Leese (Concertina Spares) will sell you a DIY kit and instructions, or refurbish the existing ones for you. You simply need to talk to him about the type.

Dave

Not English thumbstraps, instead the straps going over the back of the hands on a MacCann (see my avatar). The ones that came with the concertina are made of one layer of leather.

ocd

In the Midwest USA (I'm in KY) Tandy Leather is a decent source of leather and supplies.

But I often buy leather by the hide. You may find a saddle, horseman's supply or a shoe repair shop a better place to find just a small piece of leather to make straps.

There may also be a regional leather supplier in the Boston area who has a scrap and small piece bin.

You'll need a pair of leather shears (or be able to carefully use a matt knife) and probably a hole punch.

If you get stuck I can make you a pair of black chrome tanned straps $15. ppd. Just send an accurate tracing and placement of holes.

Greg

You might try Walter Dyer is Leather in Framingham. they do some custom work, small stuff..

They could probably whip up a set of straps pretty quick. just bring the old ones in for them to use as a guide..

There is also a guy in N. Attleboro or Pawtucket.. Bergland leather. He does amazing work, all custom. He is on rt1 or 1a right on the line there..

Hope that helps!!

Not English thumbstraps, instead the straps going over the back of the hands on a MacCann (see my avatar). The ones that came with the concertina are made of one layer of leather.

ocd

sorry I did not Pick up on the photo, yes a tack shop ot D Leesa again for wrist straps, just measure the strap lengths either side of the wrist 'swell' in the leather shape

Dave

If you want to do it on the cheap like I tend to, then look in a charity shop for undamaged second hand leather belts that are wide enough. Just use the old strap as a template to cut a new one from, adjusting if necessary. You can end up with straps ina variety of colours:).

Robin Madge

If you want to do it on the cheap like I tend to, then look in a charity shop for undamaged second hand leather belts that are wide enough. Just use the old strap as a template to cut a new one from, adjusting if necessary. You can end up with straps ina variety of colours:).

Robin Madge

Or even a new one. Go on, spoil yourself.

Geoff

Thanks to all that offered suggestions. Here is what I ended up doing.

I first went to the Goodwill Store and bought a used belt, but when I got home I decided that I did not like the leather after all. Then I splurged on a new belt, which happened to be on sale and was, in the end, cheaper than the used one. Using the old straps as templates I made new ones. I was lucky to have an old pair of shears that had no trouble cutting through the leather. Being a tool junkie I took the opportunity to buy a leather punch.

I had to open the concertina to be able to install the straps. This is always scary, but it gets easier every time I do it. The leather was a little too thick in parts of the strap. I learned a new word: "skiving". This is leatherspeak for "thinning". One can buy very expensive contraptions for this but I found out that a sharp block plane does just fine in small areas.

The new straps are ugly. They look as if they have been chewed-up by a rat with poor dentition, but they make the concertina playable!

Thanks,

ocd