Juliette Daum I Posted 3 New Videos On Youtube

Hi folks,

I recorded several pieces yesterday and put them up on Youtube so you can see and hear me play. The sound isn't so much like on my CD's because it is just the microphone that is built into the video camcorder, but you'll get an idea anyway.

You will also get an idea of the size of the instrument I play, it is a bit larger than a standard treble concertina

L'ENFANT DEMON

</a>

Cancion de cuna

</a>

Fandanguillo

</a>

please visit my website at www.juliettedaum.com

I plan to put a couple more on soon, and I really hope you like these

Juliette

Edited by squeezora

Many thanks Julliette for your recordings of which " Cancion de cuna " is my favourite.

The Church setting and echo certainly gives your playing a different sound to anything I have ever heard a concertina sound like before. My personal view is that some of your playing techniques are lost due to the echo and sometimes I am trying hard to listen hard to hear what you are doing.Cancion de cuna however is perfect with this sound. I really enjoyed it and your little smile at the end.

Al

Yes, very lovely! And not to contradict you, Al, but I quite like the reverb!

Allison

I hope that my posting is not being misunderstood.I like the reverb sound, but I would prefer no reverb on some of the faster pieces of music. Just my own personal taste and in no way a critisism of the playing.

Al

Al, I'm wading in here with you. The reverb as recorded by the camcorder from my point of view does obscure the 8ths and 16th notes' articulation.

On a number of occations in my performning life we've had to bring out a carpet to place under the feet of the ensemble to counter act some of the natural reverberation in a church for a performance. It's a very fine line.

Squeezora, very nice to see you play. You love your art and have a lot to give. I wish you well.

Mark

Al, I'm wading in here with you. The reverb as recorded by the camcorder from my point of view does obscure the 8ths and 16th notes' articulation.

On a number of occations in my performning life we've had to bring out a carpet to place under the feet of the ensemble to counter act some of the natural reverberation in a church for a performance. It's a very fine line.

Squeezora, very nice to see you play. You love your art and have a lot to give. I wish you well.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I did mention in my original post on this thread that the sound wasn't the same as on my CD's. But I see that I didn't make it very clear that these were recorded, my CD's, with ribbon microphones and preamplifiers that were carefully placed to reduce the echo's of the recording chamber. So the sound won't be the same as in the videos and I think you will be able to hear the notes more clearly on the CD's. I was hoping that if people would like my playing on the videos, that they would go to my website at < www.juliettedaum.com > and there they could hear excerpts and better still, that they would order a CD from me.

My music is my sole source of income and every CD that I sell really does put bread the table in my house. And it does make it possible for me to work harder and harder on my music to see where it will go. I am working very hard on a concert program that I will make available for booking by next spring. I love to play for people and I get a lot of energy from an audience, alive or via the internet.

The sound effects on my recordings are all as natural as I can get them to be on a recording. There is no "reverb" as that is "an electronically produced echo effect in recorded music". It's interesting that in old times we used words describing natural phenomena to describe unnatural produced effects and now we have gone to using words describing unnatural effects to describe natural phenomena. Of course, I'm not offended by this, just pointing out a little twist in times! :rolleyes:

So thanks for the positive comments, it really is appreciated and they make me feel very happy,

Juliette

Hopefully I will figure out a way to get better sound on the videos in the near future.

The microphone placement and direction has a big influence on the sound in a recording. The nearer the mics are to the source, and the more they point at the source (if they're directional) the less the reverberation (echo) will be. Similarly, the closer a real listener is to a sound source, the less the reverb will be - for example when somebody whispers into your ear in a church they don't sound echoey, but they will if they talk to you from further away in the same church.

So, moving the microphone closer to the performer will reduce the proportion of echo. Ideally record the audio separately from the video - it's easy enough to stitch them together afterwards.

I have a recording of Rostropovich playing the Bach cello suites in a cathedral, but the sound is very clear and direct (and gorgeous), presumably because the mics are quite close (actually, I could check because I have the DVD too!). I have another recording by a different cellist, also in a cathedral, and the sound is unfortunately a mess because of the natural reverberation, obscuring (and spoiling, in my opinion) the music.

Incidently, reverb is simply short for reverberation (meaning indistinct echo) - so it doesn't imply anything "natural" or "unnatural". It can be done artificially as well. In fact, you may be able to achieve a "better" effect when done artifically - better being defined by what you would prefer if you heard the recording without knowing if the reverb was natural or not! Bear in mind that when you are playing you are in a completely different position relative to the instrument than any listener would be.

Edited by RatFace

I was hoping that if people would like my playing on the videos, that they would go to my website at < www.juliettedaum.com > and there they could hear excerpts and better still, that they would order a CD from me.

I am certain this will be the result. ;)

By the way, you are very brave to do this. Gods speed and all the deserved success in the world to your efforts.

Mark

I recorded several pieces yesterday and put them up on Youtube so you can see and hear me play.

Beautiful!
:)

The sound isn't so much like on my CD's because it is just the microphone that is built into the video camcorder, but you'll get an idea anyway.
The Church setting and echo certainly gives your playing a different sound to anything I have ever heard a concertina sound like before. My personal view is that some of your playing techniques are lost due to the echo and sometimes I am trying hard to listen hard to hear what you are doing. Cancion de cuna however is perfect with this sound.

I semi-disagree with Alan and Mark. I feel that at least on these pieces, the reverb(eration) of the church and the deep voice of the concertina combine to give a richness for which I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of distinctness or "crispness" in the sound. I can still tell that it's there in the playing; I believe that in that regard my ear can separate the effect of the space from that of the concertina.

On the other hand, if -- as I think Danny (ratface) suggests -- a careful combination of microphones and their placement can retain the richness yet improve the distinctness, I'm all for it. (I'm wondering about "Flight of the Bumblebee" done that way. :unsure:) Maybe even experiment with moving the microphones about during the recording of a piece? (I'm sure that would require a significant amount of "research" -- i.e., experimentation -- to gain enough experience to plan such sequences.) I suspect that multiple repetitions of a simple dance tune would be especially susceptible to such treatment.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, this is WONDERFUL!

I think a bass-bariton concertina is not my favorite choice of instrument but your playing is exceptional, thank you for sharing that with us.

By the way, is there a sort of online access to the notes of l´enfant demon?

That is such a nice piece...

Greetings and THANKS

Christian

It was very interesting to look at. And to listen to.

I think I'll order a CD, esp. when it gives the choice between baritone and trebble.

Thanks.

On personal opinion level, i don't think that either baritone doesnt' suit well for multi-part musicor or the reverberation in the Church didn't help. Actually I think the acoustics in that church aren't that good. May be it's because the Church was empty?

I remember listening to the church organ in Riga's (Latvia) Cathedral, and I was very suprized not to hear thundering voice of powerful 5-story tall instrument, but very gentle and simple sound, that seemed like coming out of a bench in front of me.

I performed in various rooms (amateur acting) and rooms with reverb were exceptionally difficult. Hate them!

It's like:

"Dear Friends (ends-ends-dsss), 't me begin (inn-inn) 're show (wow), ...you enjoy (oy-oy) 't (t-t-t).

• 1 month later...

Hello, Juliette!

I saw two fo your videos: "L'enfant demon" and "Canción de cuna". I could not see the other video, "Fandanguillo", because sometimes my computer don't works very well.

The first video, "L'enfant demon", is fantastic, wonderful. But I have no words to express that I felt with the second video: "Canción de cuna".

Congratulations, Juliette.