30 Key C/g Crabb On Ebay

David S

Does anyone know anything about this Instrument from Magginisupplies?

David

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=002

Did I miss something? Over the years I watched concertinas being advertised and sold at ebay´s and yes Crabbs are very good instruments but 4500 pounds?

Is there a change in offering instruments or are they payed better these days? Or?

Christian

i believe that what we are seeing is not really about crabbs, but about yet another level of rise in vintage concertina prices, i.e., ebay sale prices for jeffries and wheatstones recently broke the close-to-$11K barrier, with a corresponding rise to the $9K level being seen on this crabb.

note, that this new level is public EBAY prices. private-sale level, or private-dealer sales of fine jeffries & wheatstones have occurring in this range for at least couple of years now. so one could perhaps reasonably presume that private prices (this is for finest-condition instruments, mind) may now be even higher than the new ebay range.

Yes, it seems that Jeffries deemed desirable for the Irish trad market (30b and C/G) have been escalating toward 10k seemingly regardless of condition. Wheatstone Linotas appear even less often and are similarly sought after.

Some sellers seem ready to hitch their instruments to the meteoric rise of the Jeffries and Linota prices. Crabb made a fine concertina in many instances but each instrument needs to be judged on its own merits. This of course, with any good sense, should apply to the Jeffries and Wheatstones too.

The resemblence of some instruments to the Jeffries that are bringing the big prices may embolden some sellers to ask for Jeffries like prices.

Whether this 1969 Crabb is "worth it" or not will have to be determined by the prospective buyer.

I did note that an eBay Bb Crabb went for $7,300. recently. It sounded like a strong instrument from the sound file of Roger Digby's playing. (It was also a Crabb from the 1890s when Crabb may have also been supplying Jeffries.)

Momentary spike or escalating trend? We shall see....

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the market has spoken--the Crabb didn't find a buyer...and it's now been re-listed at the same high price...

Whether this 1969 Crabb is "worth it" or not will have to be determined by the prospective buyer.

(...)

Momentary spike or escalating trend? We shall see...

Edited by Daniel Hersh

In the past, I've had expensive items on e-bay that did not draw a bid. Immediately after the auction ended I'd get more than one e-mail offering most of the opening amount. My response was to put it back on e-bay and encourage the e-mailers to bid. If I only got one post auction offer, I would not re-list.

This seller does tend to put high prices on his instruments and he's than happy to sit tight until he gets what he wants. There was a rather nasty edeophone duet on for a few months (it may still be there). With this one I guess you get a 'new' instrument without the wait but I'd have though he's about GBP1.5k over the rate compared with Carrolls, Suttners etc.

Edited by Paul Read

Yes I know this concertina very well, in fact I owned it for 7 years.

I sold it earlier this year on ebay but it would be unfair to say how much for - so please don't ask.

The Crabb plays nicely and is quite light due to it's aluminium reed frames and is responsive. I used it for morris on a couple of occasions and found it a bit easier going, due to it's weight, than my usual 38 key Jeffries.

The tone overall is more subtle than the Jeffries but has a very pleasant, almost more controllable sound ie can be played quietly while still retaining it's tone and balance.

As it says in the listing the condition is excellent.

The reasons I sold it were, firstly my main Jeffries concertinas have 38 keys, which I have got used to.

Secondly the sale of it financed the building of a log cabin at the bottom of the garden where I can escape to and play my concertinas without upsetting the family or being accompanied by the dog singing along.

Martyn

Edited by martyn