Linota Ckasses

Paul Read

Looking at the Wheatstone 1910 price list, it would seem that the instrument discussed in the

'for sale' section:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...amp;#entry61418

would have been one of the mid-range (class B ) or even Class A (cheapest option) Linota models (I'm saying this because it's rosewood, not ebony/black which would be class C with 'extra superior' reeds and 'improved action'). It appears that the original bellows on this would have been 5-fold, which is quite surprising for this quality of instrument. I wonder how great would the difference in quality be between the three classes? Has anyone actually tried a comparison?

I noticed on another thread that the strap connection style changed some time after 1910 (later a duet style, earlier the usual strap screw into the side). Any idea out there when/why the change would have been made?

I asked the question there but this is probably a more suitable location.

Looking at the Wheatstone 1910 price list, it would seem that the instrument discussed in the

'for sale' section:

Hmmm, no takers. This is when you miss Stephen :(

Well one comment; I suspect that the difference between a good set of reeds (A) and a top flight set © is probably less than the results of being retuned many times, including to modern pitch.

I wonder how the action varies? I'd bet the reeds are down to which of their technicians they used to set them up and suspect it may be the same with the action, ie no real difference just the 'best hand' doing it.

I'll edit it for the second time to say that it isn't me putting copyright signs in instead of a C in brackets, it's the wretched computer double-guessing my requirements, blast it.

Edited by Dirge

• 1 month later...

Since this thread has just popped to the surface, I'll add that the rosewood Wheatstone Anglos of this period usually had brass-wire levers, similar to Jeffries/Crabb/Jones etc., whilst the ebony ones had the more usual Wheatstone ones made from sheet brass. The action boxes of the rosewood instruments were usually made of mahogany, the ebony ones of maple, and the ebony ones also had long-scale reeds (especially the 30-key ones, there was less room in the 40-keys).

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 1 month later...
I noticed on another thread that the strap connection style changed some time after 1910 (later a duet style, earlier the usual strap screw into the side). Any idea out there when/why the change would have been made?

I'm not sure whether this point has been discussed in another thread.

I owned Wheatstone No.26250 (1914 vintage, and now owned by another C.net member) which has the first type of strap fitting. My current Wheatstone No.27835 (1918 vintage), has the second type of fitting. Also, by 1918, the end frets had become inset, rather than overlapping the wooden ends.

Regards,

Peter.