Recordings Of O'carolan Tunes On Concertina?

Nicholas

I was just listening to some clips from a CD that has O'Carolan tunes being played on mandolin and guitar, with some other instruments included. I got to wondering if there are any CDs of O'Carolan's music on concertina with other instruments as well? His music is so beautiful to me, that I think it would be a fabulous CD with concertina. Are there any out there?

There are a bunch of O'Carolan tunes played on EC and harp on the CD "the Water Kelpie" by Sheefra.

I've been playing several. They work nicely on English concertina. Some I play are: O'Carolan's Draught, Planxty Madame Maxwell, Loftus Jones, Planxty Browne, Lady Athenry, Lady Blayney, Henry McDermott Roe, Hewlet, Lord Inchiquin. Great tunes.

I think O'Carolan's Draft is also on one of Grey Larson's CD's played on an Anglo.

I got to wondering if there are any CDs of O'Carolan's music on concertina with other instruments as well?

Hi Nicholas,

Try "The Music of O'Carolan" (Shanachie 97023). Alistair Anderson plays on three of the tracks.

Regards,

Peter.

Try "The Music of O'Carolan" (Shanachie 97023). Alistair Anderson plays on three of the tracks.

Check out the album in eMusic, a cool site which lets you buy individual tracks. They are much cheaper than iTunes, but don't have a lot of modern big-label stuff. They do have boatloads of trad and folky music, along with international and classical, and quite a few modern independent artists. (Just a satisfied customer, not affiliated, blah blah).

http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Artist...d/10924208.html

I got to wondering if there are any CDs of O'Carolan's music on concertina with other instruments as well?

Hello,

These tracks are my favourite O'Carolan tunes played on anglo concertina (and other instruments) :)

"Mrs Maxwell (First Air) / Carolan's Draught"

played by Gerald Commanne (concertina), Paddy [isao Moriyasu] (flute) , Bridget [Masako Moriyasu] (harp)

on the album "Paddy and Bridget & their great friends"

"Thomas Burke"

played by Jacqueline McCarthy (concertina), Alec Finn (bouzouki), Tommy Keane (uillean pipes etc)

on the album "the hidden note"

"Planxty Browne" played by Tommy McCarthy (concertina) on the album "Sporting Nell"

Regards,

Taka

There are 3 great CD's by "The Angel Band." I think a few might be out of print, but they are mostly O'Carolan.

MORE ABOUT THE ANGEL BAND

The Angel Band features the works of Ireland's National Composer, Turlough O'Carolan (1670 - 1738), and is recognized as a leading proponent of O'Carolan's music. In addition, the Band delights in performing traditional jigs, reels, airs, and hornpipes along with contemporary compositions in the Celtic genre. The Band also offers the spoken word in the poety of W.B. Yeats, Donal McDonough, and others; and stories and anecdotes concerning the lgends surrounding the life of Turlough O'Carolan. The Angel Band's performances are alive with great power and spirit, yet they can be tender, sweet, and gentle, as this joyous music demands.

Personnel: Celtic Harp, Mary Paul; Violin, Cathryn Norris; Mandolin, Mark (Rocky)Rockwood; Banjo, Bob Frost; Hammered Dulcimer, Bob Paul; Concertina, Bodhran, Emery Hutchins; Guitar, David Behm.

I just received an excellent CD yesterday entitled "Music of O'Carolan - Ireland's Bard".

It features John Mock on concertina, harmonium, whistle & guitar with Butch Baldassari on mandolin & bouzouki.

I found it at www.soundartrecordings.com

I highly recommend checking out the sound samples at the link.

If you do that then I don't need to say anything else.