Hope Spings Eternal On Ebay

Chris Timson

The seller of this one brought it round to me yesterday for an appraisal. I listed some of the salient points he should put in the listing, including the fact that it is in old pitch. A bit of the history of Louis Lachenal came up in conversation in which I said that there was some evidence that he was Swiss. Unfortunately he has taken my brief list and expanded it into a story and manages to confuse Swedish with Swiss, and entirely misconstrue the concept of old pitch! It made me smile too.

If anyone is interested it looked in decent condition, though needing new pads and valves, and altering to concert pitch. A couple of reeds have been replaced with brass. But apart from that the reeds don't appear to have been messed with. As far as I could judge it does not have the really loud bright reeds that you sometimes found in metal ended Lachenals. There are some open joints round the edges of the action board, which just requires a straightforward gluing job to put right.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I notice that the seller describes it as a "duel squeeze-box". Surely it's only banjos that go in for that sort of thing?

It's back with the description pretty much the same ....

"Lachenal English Concertina. Serial number 57643 as you can see in the photos taken it has 48 keys & been very well taken care of the thumb straps etc . There is some history with this duel squeeze box ,ie. it was repaired on 23rd nov 1923 by J. Ridley of southwick Sunderland. As you can see by the photo,s its a six bellows in perfect condition very well presented nickle end plates which are not worn down and finished in black , even comes with its own carrying box which is made of leather and has the endorsements of C.Wheatson on it as you may all ready know lachanel was French and worked for wheatson at the begging of 19th century and was famous for its old pitch . as described by another web site http://www.concertina.com/chambers/lachenal-part1/ its one of a kind and much sort after instrument."

And this addition :lol:

This Item has been relisted due to a technicality within the description which has now been rectified

I think the best (or should that be worst?) recent case of hope springing eternal on eBay has been this melodeon: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=005, which had a Buy It Now price of a mere (ahem!) US $4,000.00 when first listed with this description:

I bought this from a older couple in their sixties. They had explained to me that the husbands grandfather had won it at a local auction and its supposed to be one of the first models from the 1820's. It was in a old whisky box that says squeeze box accordion Granddad Antique. I still have the box and plan on shipping it in that box. I took it to a local antiques auction and was told that it should pull between 4000-5000. Thats great and all, but they want to take 40%. Also local antique auction charges a 15% buyer premiem plus 7% sales tax. So I figured Ebay would be better for a buyer and me offcourse the seller. Its a very nice original antique. It says Bismarck and Germany in all the corners. Clearly missing one part to one of the keys. The paper area has 2 repairs and is in delicate condition. It does work! Florida residents must add 7% sales tax.Please ask any questions you may have before purchasing.

At the time I felt like emailing the seller and putting them right - like Bismarck was only 5 years old in 1820 and didn't become a German hero until the 1870s, also this model couldn't have been made earlier than the 1890s and probably dates from more like the 1920s, not forgetting that maybe the "valuer" left out the decimal point - like $40.00-50.00? But hey, life's too short, and people get offended when you tell them the truth about the overpriced junk they're selling... :rolleyes:

Not surprisingly it went unsold, and maybe somebody did put the seller right, because it then got relisted without the "history lesson", with a starting price of US $149.99, or a Buy It Now of US $349.99: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=005, but still no takers.

It's presently relisted with a Buy It Now of US $149.99: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWA:VRI, and somebody in Canada has asked about postage, but I think he'll be lucky if they bite... :lol:

Stop Press: Now reduced to $100.00!

(Edited to add Stop Press.)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Here. Quite sweet, really.

Chris

Hi All Can any one tell me ? When I ask the seller on E bay a question.Is it up to the seller to decide if that question appears for all to see? I recently ask if I could view a Lachenal advertised to be here in Cornwall but was told ,"I just wan't a straight auction".The question never appeared . ATB Bob

It is up to the ebay seller to make questions and answers available for all. Automatic display of a question would make sense to warn people, but would you really be interested to read all questions and answers?

I recently ask if I could view a Lachenal advertised to be here in Cornwall but was told ,"I just wan't a straight auction".

Which is fair enough. Plenty of people who sell on eBay do so to avoid having strangers calling to their homes and "tyre-kicking" what they simply want to get rid of. You try advertising in your local newspaper or Exchange & Mart, and you'll soon find out what I mean - dealing with the public, at your home, can be a lot of grief... :(

The question never appeared .

There's no need for it to, indeed many sellers don't display any of the questions they are asked, while others show only those that might be seen as adding to their description.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I used to use Ebay to move on old motorbike projects; I built up good feedback and used to do very careful and complete descriptions. People used to say 'Can I come and see it?' and I would refuse for exactly the reasons Stephen has put; it's a blasted nuisance which Ebay allows you to avoid.

I did actually let a couple of folk view in the early days; they wasted an hour or so of my time each and then were underbidders anyway.

People used to say 'Well I won't bid then' and the only reply possible is 'Well I don't know why because I take cash on collection and you get to check that what I'm selling was fairly described when you collect anyway, but OK, it's your business. Others will' And they did.

So I don't see what's so difficult if the seller allows pick ups. If there's any doubt about the seller, collect in person, or get a friend to.

I recently ask if I could view a Lachenal advertised to be here in Cornwall but was told ,"I just wan't a straight auction".

Which is fair enough. Plenty of people who sell on eBay do so to avoid having strangers calling to their homes and "tyre-kicking" what they simply want to get rid of. You try advertising in your local newspaper or Exchange & Mart, and you'll soon find out what I mean - dealing with the public, at your home, can be a lot of grief... :(

Some sellers are also cautious about this for security reasons, particularly if they are advertising an item of substantial value.

I did actually let a couple of folk view in the early days; they wasted an hour or so of my time each and then were underbidders anyway.

I had a guy come round to look at a guitar I was selling on one occasion, and waste an hour or so of my time before asking if he could take photos of it - which was all he really wanted to do. He tried it again another time, but was surprised to make the journey across London and not be let in the door a second time! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I think the best (or should that be worst?) recent case of hope springing eternal on eBay has been this melodeon: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=005, which had a Buy It Now price of a mere (ahem!) US $4,000.00 when first listed with this description:

I bought this from a older couple in their sixties. They had explained to me that the husbands grandfather had won it at a local auction and its supposed to be one of the first models from the 1820's. It was in a old whisky box that says squeeze box accordion Granddad Antique. I still have the box and plan on shipping it in that box. I took it to a local antiques auction and was told that it should pull between 4000-5000. Thats great and all, but they want to take 40%. Also local antique auction charges a 15% buyer premiem plus 7% sales tax. So I figured Ebay would be better for a buyer and me offcourse the seller. Its a very nice original antique. It says Bismarck and Germany in all the corners. Clearly missing one part to one of the keys. The paper area has 2 repairs and is in delicate condition. It does work! Florida residents must add 7% sales tax.Please ask any questions you may have before purchasing.

At the time I felt like emailing the seller and putting them right - like Bismarck was only 5 years old in 1820 and didn't become a German hero until the 1870s, also this model couldn't have been made earlier than the 1890s and probably dates from more like the 1920s, not forgetting that maybe the "valuer" left out the decimal point - like $40.00-50.00? But hey, life's too short, and people get offended when you tell them the truth about the overpriced junk they're selling... :rolleyes:

Not surprisingly it went unsold, and maybe somebody did put the seller right, because it then got relisted without the "history lesson", with a starting price of US $149.99, or a Buy It Now of US $349.99: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=005, but still no takers.

It's presently relisted with a Buy It Now of US $149.99: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWA:VRI, and somebody in Canada has asked about postage, but I think he'll be lucky if they bite... :lol:

Stop Press: Now reduced to $100.00!

And now it's relisted once more, but this time they're looking for a more realistic opening bid of US $9.99.

Oh what a comedown! :rolleyes:

:lol: