Hope Spings Eternal On Ebay

Chris Timson

Unfortunately there seems to be a dirth of them these days. With some of them being very questionable in their information or quality.

From a humble beginner who has more than a few years experience working and running auctions in real time physical type. Just some of the descriptions alone levae me wanting to ask a whole lot of questions and then looking at some of their online stores answers my question in much lesss than a positive light.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see this is back on Ebay again!

No. 130169393719

This time the seller is asking £750 on a 'buy it now' only option. Cloud cuckoo land, if you ask me.

I thought Neil Wayne bought this a couple of weeks ago. He must have returned it to the seller - perhaps it didn't have reeds in!

Edited by Steve_freereeder

It's down to 499 pounds and shows pictures of the reeds at this point. But aren't the reeds the wrong shape for the date they are mentioning? I would have thought that a very early Wheatstone would have square ended reed shoes (like the ones in my baritone) instead of the rounded ones introduced by Lachenal when he came to work for Wheatstone in the late 1840's. Also, the reed tounges are held in place with a large rivet, not a clamp with two screws. The serial number given does not appear in the Horiman ledgers. When did Wheatstone stop making 30 button ECs?

^ That looks a decent one (can't C&P a link for some reason). 32 button rosewood-ended Lachenal, restored by the owner. (Not me, btw -- I've been bidding, and the reserve must be out of my price range).

Public-spirited gesture by me, there. ;)

Here is the link. Anyone know the seller/restorer?

^ That looks a decent one (can't C&P a link for some reason). 32 button rosewood-ended Lachenal, restored by the owner. (Not me, btw -- I've been bidding, and the reserve must be out of my price range).

Public-spirited gesture by me, there. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

"Concertina RARE AND PERFECT"

(as long as you ignore one missing thumb strap and the other broken, and the bellows looking a bit scruffy - photo too poor to tell condition :unsure: )

"PS ONE NO WAY NEAR AS GOOD RECENTLY SOLD AT A GOOD AUCTION FOR £1500"

Really? I wonder why they never give a link to the actual sale?

Edited by spindizzy

Here is the link. Anyone know the seller/restorer?

I don't, but he was very quick & forthcoming in his answers to my enquiries on EBay. IIRC, he got a buyer for his 'tina, & at a fair price too. I gave up on EBay shortly afterwards, and got a 30k Lachenal from Chris Algar. Proper lovely it is, as well. B)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This one.... Here

In fact it looks like a nice concertina and reasnable price, but the description is a gem!

apparently "lachanel was swedish and worked for wheatson at the begging of 19th century and was famous for its old pitch"

Any one for cricket? :lol:

This one.... Here

In fact it looks like a nice concertina and reasnable price, but the description is a gem!

apparently "lachanel was swedish and worked for wheatson at the begging of 19th century and was famous for its old pitch"

Any one for cricket? :lol:

We need Geoff Boycott to stick his keys into the reedpan & tell us what it's really like. :lol:

This one.... Here

'Twould read much better if the seller had simply left out that whole history lesson about "wheatston" and lachenal's famous old pitch. :rolleyes:

The link to Lark Camp is rather bewildering too, it should be http://www.larkcamp.com/oneofakind.html.