"give Me A Squeeze"..cute Article

Well I'm insulted!

"Nineteenth-century models are the most valuable but are rarely found here and, to a musician, are less pleasurable to play."

Now who would claim a restored 19th century box is less pleasurable to play? as compared to what?

Edited by Hooves

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm insulted!

"Nineteenth-century models are the most valuable but are rarely found here and, to a musician, are less pleasurable to play."

Now who would claim a restored 19th century box is less pleasurable to play? as compared to what?

Maybe what the author meant, and I'm reading minds here, is that non-restored 19th century concertinas may have a different pitch (though he never mentioned pitch), or perhaps they hadn't be as refined in the feel? I dunno beyond that...?

This is my home town newspaper, I read it daily, and it is generally a source of very good journalism. I was disappointed in the article and rang and told the journalist so. It was a moderately robust discussion. He told me he got his hard facts from the Oxford Dictionary of Music (ie. patented in 1844) which is a sad indictment of that reference.

The idiosyncratic observations on concertinas in the local scene and on the value and virtues of various types came from the man who is described in the article as a collector. I once bought a Wheatstone from him, and he described himself to me as a dealer rather than as a collector, and mainly in guitars. He certainly knew names and dates to look for.

Chris

This is my home town newspaper, I read it daily, and it is generally a source of very good journalism. I was disappointed in the article and rang and told the journalist so. It was a moderately robust discussion. He told me he got his hard facts from the Oxford Dictionary of Music (ie. patented in 1844) which is a sad indictment of that reference.

The idiosyncratic observations on concertinas in the local scene and on the value and virtues of various types came from the man who is described in the article as a collector. I once bought a Wheatstone from him, and he described himself to me as a dealer rather than as a collector, and mainly in guitars. He certainly knew names and dates to look for.

Chris

He quotes $50,000 USD for a vintage Ntional Steel bodied guitar!! That's off by a factor of ten at least. I'd be gald to sell him mine for 50K.

Interesting Article,

Now let's look behind the green curtain and see what gives.

1) Dates and details are off and one source does not a foundation give. Which means very lazy journalism, nothing new here.

2) From statements on this discussion the "expert" seems to have diverse motives and is looking to create a buzz for a item to sell. This leads me to believe he is wanting to cash in a volume of concertinas that he has acquired from diverse sources and wants to seed the market for his benefit in a couple of ways.

3) When the journalist was approached by a member of our group who does play and know the history of the instrument there was no interest for correction to be made. That means to me that the article was a pay off to a favor owed.

Given the above points, my best suggestion is have a few of our truly knowledgeable members (oh, I don't know there is a good long list that comes to mind) and write a document dealing with the evaluation and diverse values of concertinas given different makers and time periods. To my knowledge this has not been done in a way that could be presented to the public (those who invest in strange things or those who might have interest).

The benefit is the public having a better understanding of the instrument and what we can/cannot play. The down side is the con artists and GRQ schemes you will see pop out of the wood work for a short time and the greedy investment minded persons who don't really know what they are doing but read the book and want a piece of history.

Just an idea as it also would give credentials to the authors/editor of the book and if it was worded to show in a balanced view the differing views held within the community it could increase our numbers and aid in the enjoyment of our fun.

Michael

PS willing to help but not an expert by any means but know how to organize and help people keep to deadlines

Hi

That should help to drive the price up-what only £10000 for a Jefferies :angry: I'm not sure that I would support anything that would encourage the buying of concertinas just for their investment value. I'm not sure that materialism and music make good bedfellows. I don't want to own an instrument that could become so valuable as to make me afraid to take it out and use it :(

better to let people 'discover' them rather than tell them what an investment they will make

chris

Hi

That should help to drive the price up-what only £10000 for a Jefferies :angry: I'm not sure that I would support anything that would encourage the buying of concertinas just for their investment value. I'm not sure that materialism and music make good bedfellows. I don't want to own an instrument that could become so valuable as to make me afraid to take it out and use it :(

better to let people 'discover' them rather than tell them what an investment they will make

chris

BINGO !