Another New Person Has The Same Old Questions

JimNewGuy

...some duet systems are easier than others...

Like the English vs. the anglo (and now, JimNewGuy discovers, vs. the various duets), each duet system is easier for some folks than for others. And even for a single individual, easier to get started on isn't necessarily the same as easier for playing satisfying arrangements (where "satisfying" is itself a matter of personal taste).

Some of us here like the Hayden. Some have taken to either the Crane or Maccann, and a few to the Jeffries system. There are even a few who have duets with seemingly unique keyboard layouts.

It's usually said that the best thing is to try them all, then decide what feels best to you. Of course, only a few people actually have the opportunity to do that. But it's true that most folks could learn to play and be satisfied with any of them, though there are exceptions. So my main bit of advice is to be ready to switch to a different type if your first choice doesn't "work out". A few of us here have done that, too.

But if the English is what you're leaning toward, good luck to you. I dabble in "them all"*, but the English is my main instrument.

Jim old guy
:D

* (Even for those I don't own, I try to use my imagination and play "air concertina", in order to understand what they're like.)

If I had it to do again and knew I'd stick with it, I'd get a Rochelle as my first instrument. Hohners and Stagis are sort of "concertina shaped objects" which have little resale value and a tendancy toward stuck buttons once played for any length of time. (I have one of each.) I'll throw in another nod toward the Niall Vallely/Mad for Trad CDRom tutorial. For me it was the link between having the Hohner sit on my shelf for eight years, and actually learning to play it.

Please note that even though they don't supply the air for the instrument, some players unconciously breathe along with it subconciously, or at least make weird faces. It might be good exercise. It might kill you. (probably not though.) You'd have to play for your doctor to get a reasonable opinion.

LOL. I have asthma and a smaller lung capacity because of it. I don't think breathing while playing a concertina will kill me, though it might severely harm any listener.

I'm also an asthmatic, and I have to confirm a tendency to breathe with the bellows direction can leave you short of breath...it was stronger at the start, and stronger on slow tunes than fast, but it's just something to be aware of and don't keel over...

Welcome to the forum, Jim!

I am not the better person to answer your questions, because I'm a new player too and because in my country (Spain) the concertina is not a very popular instrument (is most popular the accordion, or others instruments like pipes, guitars, flutes,...).

But I'm going to tel you my little experience.

I bougth my Anglo (20 keys) last september's 11th (bad they, we all know why) in Salamanca (Spain). Like you, is not the first instrumente I play (I play three hole flute and tabor), and concertina is new for me.

I have no teacher. I have no books. I have no discs. But I am learning by ear with tunes I now, tradicional tunes of Spain like "La Rianxeira" (Galicia), "El Garrotín" and "Asturias, patria querida" (Asturias),... And... I am learning a lot!

However, I think is better to have a teacher, if you have the chance, because with a teacher you get better tecnical style, and trucks,... Without teacher, I have "the tamborileru style" (jejeje).

I will record a video in a month and put it in Youtube, and you're going to see "the tamborileru style" :-)

Jim,

You should check out the Hayden Duet before making your final decision. I got a Stagi Hayden about a year ago and have really enjoyed it. So far I can dispense recognizable renditions of Christmas carols, southern trad, football fight songs, Godfather themes, some Simon and Garfunkel, ...that kind tune. Who knows, in the fullness of time, I may even work my way around to Celtic.

Jim

Oh no, a duet? Just when I thought it was narrrowed to 2 choices, a 3rd pops up.

So a duet isn't just for duets?

Time to go look up what a duet is and see if it's for a soloist to be.

I bought a Hayden Duet 3 years ago and quickly learned to play it. Great fun.

If you know anything aobut chords (like a guitarist), Duets are fun to paly like small accordions -- bass and chords on the left hand, melody on the right. You can play any style of music, and play jsut melody on the right side while learning.

We duettists aspire to more than the oom-pah bass and chords on the left side, but in fact it's a great way to play and learn.

Sadly, as you found out, a new Duet costs $900, You may find a used one for $600 or so, but if you're in a hurry, settle for an Anglo (Rochelle) or English (Jackie). Best wishes, Mike K.