Irrelevant It Was Called

GOOD FOLKS: there was a thread in one of the categories having to do with the plural of forum. . . . . .whether it was fora or fori

one respondent noted that the whole thing was irrelevant. . . .and perhaps it is. . . . .especially because English need not take over the correct Latin plural. . . . .

i quote from the second edition of Fowler's English Usage:

"All that can be safely said is that there is a tendency to abandon Latin plurals [my emphasis], and that, when one is really in doubt which to use, the English form should be given the preference."

thus forums is what all good c.netters would use.............allan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Latin, a word ending in "um" would be pluralised with "a". Forum, fora.

An "i" pluralises a word that originally ends with "us". Servus, servi.

However, if you're going to use the Latin ending, why stick there. We should refer to reading things in the "foro", and so on. Words have different endings depending on whether they are the subject or object of the verb, whether they possess or ar epossessed, and so on.

This is why the Romans lost their empire. It was too complicated a language, and when the barbarians attacked, the sentries got confused when they shouted a warning. In modern English: "Helps of us, a mens with a beard is of the attacks in the many gates at the city." While this was being deciphered ("Help, there are barabarians attacking the city gate!") the barbarians were winning the battle.

But fortunately, in this forum, we are using English. I'm with Fowler on this. Forums, stadiums, and so on. Only use Latin endings on scientific words like bacterium/a.

Octopus was never a Latin word, so pluralising it to octopi is as daft as saying, "I went by bus. It was such a long journey, I had to change and take two bi."

I remember my english teacher reading us a poem that declined omnibus, I can only recall one line now:

"Implit in the Corn and High, vincit omnia motoris bi."

Wow, Robin! What were your Latin lessons like?

Regards,

Peter.

GOOD FOLKS: there was a thread in one of the categories having to do with the plural of forum. . . . . .whether it was fora or fori

thus forums is what all good c.netters would use.............allan

Have you forgotten your pig-latin?

orumsfae

However, if you're going to use the Latin ending, why stick there. We should refer to reading things in the "foro", and so on. Words have different endings depending on whether they are the subject or object of the verb, whether they possess or ar epossessed, and so on.
I can think of a few "crystallised" phrases (scientific or legal mostly) where we do keep more inflectional morphology than the distinction of number, e.g.*: a priori, in vitro, in situ, ad hoc, pro bono, ex officio, etc.*
This is why the Romans lost their empire. It was too complicated a language
I know you are joking, but of course every language does have its own kind of complexities, and although the ones you mention in Latin are foreign to native English and Chinese speakers, they would not be to native speakers of Russian or Hindi for example.

*Yes, exempli gratia and et cetera could both go in there too!