Wheatstone For Sale

lenart

I have for sale a Wheatstone Aeola Duet. Serial#26971 (Please correct me if I am wrong.) This concertina is in very good condition for it's age. It has raised ebony ends 70 buttons ivory thumb rests. Inside is very clean no rust on the reeds etc. The belows are in excellent condition. There is a small air leak due to some of the screw plates being stripped. With the original leather case.

I am in Montreal and have shown this concertina to Paul Scwartz his comments were:- "Yes, I have seen it and can vouch that it appears to be in excellent condition."

"Please note that all questions about this concertina should be directed to me the seller. Not to Paul.

This concertina is fresh to the market having been stored for a few years. I am open to serious offers only.Please email me for further information and Photo's.

post-5-1074893744.jpg

Edited by lenart

Please note that all questions about this should be directed to the seller! I cannot vouch for, or answer questions about specific details or condition, because I'm not the seller, and I don't have the instrument in front of me. Yes, I have seen it and can vouch that it appears to be in excellent condition (I opened one side, and the reeds look almost brand new). The instrument has clearly seen very little use. There is some damage on one end to the fretwork (looks like it was dropped on one edge), but otherwise it really does look great, and the bellows look excellent (definitely do NOT need to be replaced).

Good luck to all.

Paul

I think you're a little mistaken on the description.

Right . The seller is apparently not an expert on the details of concertina terminology.

The instrument was made in England. Its engineering is the "English" design. But the words "English concertina" are generally reserved for instruments with a particular keyboard layout.

This instrument's keyboard is what Wheatstone called "Duet" -- or sometimes "Wheatstone Duet", -- though today it is commonly known as "Maccann duet", which was Lachenal's attribution.

The serial number is hard to read, but this is apparently #26971, dated Jan. 7, 1916 in the Wheatstone ledgers.

An interesting difference between this instrument and my 80-button Maccann is that on this one the open fretwork covers the ends (outside of the bar and button area). On mine the fretwork on the left (bass) side is reduced, not extending all the way to the edges, and on both sides the fretwork over the lower reeds ("below" the bar) is also reduced compared to the upper end.

Jim

In your opinion, which is the better , pertaining to the location of the button patern? That 70 button

Wheatstone (McCann) or a 48 button Edeo or Aeola?

What strikes me is that, 'duets', have their 'button' patterns shiften north to allow for a wristband.

How do they manage that?

Jim

In your opinion, which is the better , pertaining to the location of the button patern?  That 70 button

Wheatstone (McCann)  or a 48 button Edeo or Aeola?

What strikes me is that, 'duets', have their 'button' patterns shiften north to allow for a wristband.

How do they manage that?

Joe, your question isn't just about the specific instrument for sale, but is much more general. For this reason I'll respond to it under a new Topic in the Ergonomics subForum. Here I'll only say that in my opinion "better" is not a valid comparison, since much more than location is involved.