Another Kind Of Reed

I just recently noticed that Harmonikas Louny is now making harmonium reeds. It seems like these might be usable in a slightly modified traditional reedpan design: They could be inserted into a square groove (rather than a dovetail slot) and screwed down on a leather gasket.

Maybe I'll even try making a single-reed chemnitzer with these!

Edited by Theodore Kloba

How much these guys charge for reeds? I couldn't see the prices. Is this former Delicia?
I've never purchased from them, or even gotten a quote, so I don't know yet. The instrument I'm building now will have a used reed set; I was considering buying DIX reeds from Harmonikas Louny in the future. They are a succesor company to Delicia. See below...
I had contact to the Delicia factory and the town they produced in was called Hořovice, this one is located in Louny.
Here's what the website says:
Since 1999 the firm HARMONIKAS, led by Titlbachovi family, has continued the hundred years old tradition in production of harmonicas, accordions, and sounds in Bohemia with Kebrdle firm at Hořovice, which used to make keyboard and button accordions, and Josef Hlaváček in Louny, manufacturing helicon and diatonic accordions. In 1946 also the reeds started to be produced in Louny.

At the beginning two technologies of reeds production merged, namely the production technology DIXGERA and that of Italian manufacturers.

In 1984 a brand new enterprise, entirely for the reeds production, was set up. It was equipped with state-of-the-art machinery with new pressing and grinding technologies.

Since 1999 a fundamental change of reeds production concept has taken place denoting the beginning of sound production even for the

best accordions and harmonicas. With the new know-how concerning the technologies of precise cutting, profile grinding, electroerosion wire

machining, semi-automatic tuning and above all, with the help of the best workers' expertise, the reeds for all accordions and harmonicas

are produced. Skilled workers, good technical equipment, as well as the latest technology, are a guarantee of a good quality of the reeds. We

offer reeds of various workmanship.

The German company DIX made reeds for many chemnitzers and bandoneons (I have one chemnitzer with DIX reeds). You can identify them by the small (about 3mm) circle stamped near the edge of each reed plate.