Tune Of The Month - August 2007

My Tune of the Month blog has been idle as I was galavanting around England this August playing, singing and hanging out with c.neters, but... now I’m home and I’ve put up some tunes that you might enjoy. Also check out three new vintage concertina photos in the Concertina Gallery thanks to Alan Day and Perry Werner. Here’s the blog text for my belated August entry:

I’m back home from playing festivals and riding trains in England this August. All along the way I played concerts, taught workshops, drank beer and met wonderful people including Andrew and Margaret Watchorn from near Alnwick, Northumberland.

I had been squeezing with squeezers all day at the Royal Hotel in Bradfield and we were a bit weary and bleary with squeezing and fun and cider. Then Margaret and Andrew got there with their fiddle and pipes and the place exploded. The three of us played a few sets of American tunes they knew, and eyes popped with the refreshing sound after five hours of free reeds. They asked me to join them at their concert set that evening to great effect.

Later at Whitby, I called them up and the Watchorns drove down that Friday to join me for two concerts I was playing. We had a great rehearsal for a few hours before performing. The recordings below are understandably a bit rough... you can hear dishes being washed in the background.

Andrew is playing Northumbrian pipes in G and D. These high pipes along with the fiddle and my low pitched Dipper Anglo on the bottom make for an exciting trio sound that is still shimmering in my head weeks later.

Click on these titles to hear what we were up to!

Jimmie Allen / Herd on the Hill / Salmon Tails up the Water

Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine / Durham Rangers

Green Cockade / Far From Home

Jody, I don't know if it's my computer but I don't get any music when I click the titles on your website!

Hi. Allison.

I had no trouble. They're posted as mp3's, which my browser promptly played using QuickTime as a helper. But even if they don't launch automatically in a helper application, you should be able to download the mp3's to your disk and play them from there using any software that plays mp3's.

Jody, I don't know if it's my computer but I don't get any music when I click the titles on your website!

Hi. Allison.

I had no trouble. They're posted as mp3's, which my browser promptly played using QuickTime as a helper. But even if they don't launch automatically in a helper application, you should be able to download the mp3's to your disk and play them from there using any software that plays mp3's.

When I first tried yesterday, I managed to find the link to the tunes but when I tried to play it I got a 10 second long endlessly repeating 'funky music sample' with the distant sound of pipes in the background. I couldn't stop the d*mn thing playing. It froze up the browser and I had to do a control alt delete to close out and get rid of it :( .

Thinking it was me and my thick fingers, I got my computer savvy son to try, and he had the same problem.

I have just tried again today and the last entry on the 'tune of the month' page is July '07 - Lilies of the Valley, There is nothing anywhere on the site that I can find for August 07.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a 'Noo Yoik gremlin' at work ?? :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave Prebble

I had no trouble.

When I first tried yesterday, I managed to find the link to the tunes but when I tried to play it I got a 10 second long endlessly repeating 'funky music sample' with the distant sound of pipes in the background. I couldn't stop the d*mn thing playing. It froze up the browser and I had to do a control alt delete to close out and get rid of it :( .

I have just tried again today and the last entry on the 'tune of the month' page is July '07 - Lilies of the Valley, There is nothing anywhere on the site that I can find for August 07.

When I first tried yesterday, RealPlayer (my default player) froze up completely: None of the controls worked, not even the buttons to minimize or close the application. I had to use the "End Task" in my Task Manager just to close it.

This happened repeatedly, but then I shut down and restarted the computer, and since then it's all worked fine. I have no idea why, except that in my experience things like that happen from time to time in Windows.

Just tried it from work. Windows, Windows Media Player. No problem.

Works here, with Firefox and Itunes. Great tunes, Jody.

Hi all,

Sorry that some of you have been having problems listing to the files. I’m not a web tech person, just a consumer of the technology. Though I make the site on my Mac, I do test it on my wife's PC using the world wide web browser standard, IE6. No problems for me seeing and hearing all the content in my test. I have updated my site many times in the past few days, trying to get the photo gallery to look the way it should. All fixed now. Perhaps if someone was trying to look at the site while it was in transition there might be a problem... just guessing though. I’m pretty amazed that the site works as as well as it does considering how many different software products, developers and platforms the whole thing has to work with.

See you at the Squeeze-In?

Hi. Allison.

Thinking it was me and my thick fingers, I got my computer savvy son to try, and he had the same problem.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a 'Noo Yoik gremlin' at work ?? :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Gremlins I'm sure of it. Dave, try again, I bet it works now,

or perhaps you didn’t follow the links:

Home page

Tune of the Month (top of the page on the right)

August 2007 (click on the words August 2007)

or,

Click here to go directly to the August page.

Aha! I have to right-click and "Save Target As..."- I'm still new at this mp3 stuff. Listening to Bonaparte right now- fantastic!

Yes, that works, and is what I meant by

...you should be able to download the mp3's to your disk...
(Mac mice don't have right clicks, so there are other ways to do it) but, as I implied, it shouldn't be necessary. Most browsers will pass it automatically to an mp3 player so that it plays in a browser window without being saved to disk.

Mac mice don't have right clicks,

A man is rising early in the morning, shakes straw off his beard, checks if there is still beer in the lair under the tree, goes to nearby Office Max (or whatever is in the woods), buys 3 button mouse and hooks it into USB port of his Mac.

Now a man can right click and download mp3 off Jody Kruskal website on his Mac.

Aha! I have to right-click and "Save Target As..."- I'm still new at this mp3 stuff. Listening to Bonaparte right now- fantastic!

I always do the right-click method for MP3 files.

First, it gives you a permanent keeper copy on your C: drive, which the usual left-click does not.

Second, with my slow dial-up connectin, the MP3 player downloads a few seconds' worth of music, plays it, then stutters in silenece hwile downloading some more, etc. There's no way to make WIndows Media Player buffer the whole file before starting play.

Except to right-click, get your permanent copy, then play to your heart's content.

Hope you find NESI 2007 to be better than dark chocolate even. Sorry I didn't make it this year (again)!

Jody, those are some great sounds!

--Mike K.