Forums Upgraded

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The forums have now been updated to a brand-new version of the forums software. Lots of new features and bug fixes have been put in place.

I'm all for bug fixes and new features, but is there any way to get back some of the old icons in the editor? Many of the new ones (e.g., "Insert Link" and "Insert Image") I'm seeing as pretty pastel blurs. I'm sure that eventually I can learn to tell them apart, but more by location (as on the concertina) than seeing a pictorial represesntation. To me they look very un-iconic.

Does anyone else feel that way about them, or is it just me? :unsure:

OOPS! And the drop-down menus on the edit controls (e.g., "Text Color" and "Emoticons") don't seem to be working.

Hey Jim,

Sorry, no way to get old icons back. Progress is progress! They're not blurry to me... maybe you need to get an eyeglasses upgrade?? ;)

The drops downs all work fine for me, in both IE and FF.

Paul

The forums have now been updated to a brand-new version of the forums software. Lots of new features and bug fixes have been put in place.

I'm all for bug fixes and new features, but is there any way to get back some of the old icons in the editor? Many of the new ones (e.g., "Insert Link" and "Insert Image") I'm seeing as pretty pastel blurs. I'm sure that eventually I can learn to tell them apart, but more by location (as on the concertina) than seeing a pictorial represesntation. To me they look very un-iconic.

OOPS! And the drop-down menus on the edit controls (e.g., "Text Color" and "Emoticons") don't seem to be working.

More oops(es)... looking at my Members page:

• My personal photo seems to have disappeared.
  • Drop down menus also not working here.

And some of the "Personal Info" seems... shall I call it "curious"? Not really important to me, maybe even worth a chuckle, but I wonder what others might think when they see:

• "Age Unknown" - "Age Not Specified" would be better, since I do know what my age is. :D
  • "Birthday Unknown" - as with age
  • "Gender Not Set" - Again, "Not Specified" would be better. My gender was set before I was born. ;)

Sorry, no way to get old icons back. Progress is progress!

Ah, yes. The word "progress" means "forward movement", which isn't necessarily the same as "getting better". (Besides, it wouldn't be the first time in history there was a disagreement over whether something was "better" or "worse". ;))

They're not blurry to me... maybe you need to get an eyeglasses upgrade?? ;)

Not really blurs, but certainly less distinct. Less contrast than before, and "artistic" touches that to me are less "informative" to the eye.

But I'll get used to it.

The drops downs all work fine for me, in both IE and FF.

Montreal, we have a problem.

The drop downs work fine for me in Internet Explorer (I just checked), and my photo is there in my profile (though much smaller than before).

I normally use SeaMonkey, which I think should be the same a FireFox, and that's where those things I mentioned aren't working. I even opened a second browser window, and that didn't help.

So I wondered whether I needed to formally
Log Out
and then
again, and I tried to do so. The result was the following "Board Message":
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

---------------------

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

---------------------

You are not logged in, you may log in below

(The lines of hyphens are my indication of field boundaries.)

Then I tried to send the above message from the other copy of the browser, where I was still in the C.net editor, but I was told I was not Logged In. Fair enough. I think that's appropriate. I closed down all copies of the SeaMonkey browser (IE already closed) and also its associated mailbox interface. Then I restarted the browser and went back into Concertina.net/Forums. No improvement.

The next thing I'll try is shutting down the computer entirely and restarting, to see if that helps. (And I mean entirely; I'll pull the power plug.)

Testing.... testing.... None of the dropdowns work for me (FF). And I agree that the right 5 icons are very indistinct and very un-intuitive/informative.

Interesting.

• I have just installed FireFox, therefore the latest version (2.0.0.6), and the dropdowns are working in it. (Rich, which version are you running?) I'm writing this in FireFox.
  • Dropdowns work for me in Internet Explorer (version 6.0... with a couple of updates).
  • In the latest version of SeaMonkey (1.1.4), they're still not working, though I've logged out, done a cold restart of my computer, then restarted computer and browser and logged back in to the Forums.
  • They also work for me in an old (2005, I think) version (1.7.12) of Mozilla, which is a predecessor of SeaMonkey and I believe was identical (the browser part) to FireFox at the time it was current.

All very curious, since before the upgrade the Forums worked fine in SeaMonkey 1.1.4. I wonder what change was made to the Forums, that has run afoul of a divergence between FireFox and SeaMonkey. And whether Invision or SeaMonkey (or both) should be responsible for fixing the problem.

No Jim, you're not on your own - but I've learned from other Invision Board forum upgrades that the best you can do is grin and bare it. After a few days the bugs are fixed and it seems like it's always been that way.

In the mean time, doesn't it make your teeth itch? :angry:

Before too long the other forum I frequent (also 'powered by Invision Board') will do the same thing but I'll be ready for it then. :unsure:

[*]I have just installed FireFox, therefore the latest version (2.0.0.6), and the dropdowns are working in it. (Rich, which version are you running?) I'm writing this in FireFox.
I'm running 2.0.0.6 as well. The drop downs still don't work but they do when I try in IE.

-- Rich --

Why does my local time show as american/canadian time ??? And not GMT -1hour. ??

Chas

Hey Fidjit

Funny mine was the opposite showed GMT and not US EDT :blink: . Oh well and easy fix. My Controls, then the left side bar at the bottom Board Settings. The first option is Your Base Timezone.

Thanks

Leo

[*]I have just installed FireFox, therefore the latest version (2.0.0.6), and the dropdowns are working in it. (Rich, which version are you running?) I'm writing this in FireFox.
I'm running 2.0.0.6 as well. The drop downs still don't work but they do when I try in IE.

-- Rich --

I am also running Firefox 2.0.0.6. When I logged into the forum some hours before now, all the dropdowns were not working.

But now they work fine though I didn't change any settings in the meantime.

Yes, IE6 also works fine for me.

--

Taka

I am also running Firefox 2.0.0.6. When I logged into the forum some hours before now, all the dropdowns were not working.

But now they work fine though I didn't change any settings in the meantime.

For me it's now the next day, and they're still not working in SeaMonkey. :( In the meantime, I've once again shut down the computer (while I slept) and restarted it.

FWIW, they still work in FireFox. :)

Posting here for the first time since the upgrade. I see a lot of the same problems Jim did. I'm using AOL's version 10 browser for Mac. Indestinct icons and drop-down menus don't work.

Also, what do those little silhouette icons next to our names to the left here mean?

There's a new button below the edit window that says "Toggle Side Panel." Sure enough there's a side panel tha comes and goes when I click it, but there's nothing in the side panel but a tiny square in the upper left corner.

Thanks for the all the feedback folks. A few observations:

Advanced features such as all the interactive real-time menus (lots of features now don't require reloading or clicking now... lots of AJAX instant stuff going on), the WYSIWYG editing features, drop-downs, fly-outs, AND a lot of the security stuff going on in the background (helping me keep the boards free of the scammers and spammers) means that they test and code for recent versions of the major browsers, so we're talking IE and FireFox. Please try these... they work fine for me. I'm a web developer (12 years now), so I do know about the issues with trying to support "non-standard" browsers, especially with the more cutting edge features that users and administrators have come to rely on. Icons? Well, whatever... "better" or not, they're not that hard to get used to, and anyway, the buttons do have quick-showing hints, so just hover over the buttons for a second.

By the way, using the old boards, I was spending up to an hour a day weeding out all the spammer and scammer registrations (ever wonder why there hasn't been any spam these past few months? I now personally check each registration trying to figure out if it's legit or not before I approve it). This new system has lots of new admin tools and automated features to make this a LOT easier, so trust me, it's a very good thing. Also, I've been looking at adding in some new features/tools the same company is coming out with or has released (blogging and photo album add-ons for example) and these require that the board system stays up to date (they all dovetail together), so there's no choice but to move ahead (and the security and anti-spam features also make it absolutely necessary). You don't have to use the "advanced" features for the most part, but they're there for people to help them use the forums in an efficient manner, in a variety of fashions, with as much room as possible for personal preference and frequency of forums visiting/interaction. Different strokes for different folks...

Thanks as always,

Paul