38 Key Crabb G/d Anglo For Sale

A few weeks ago I mentioned in the Buy & Sell Forum that I would be putting my 38 key G/D Anglo, made by H Crabb in 1924, on ebay. Click here to see the discussion.

The listing has now gone live, the item number is 290158295197

I have now removed the internal microphones and jacks referred to in the earlier discussion.

Good luck!

Edited by hjcjones

May I ask why you describe this as 'Wheatstone Layout'? I have always believed that the single button in the fourth row is 'Jeff. Layout' and that the bigger Wheatstone instruments had two buttons in that row. I'd be interested to know more about this.

1924 is six years before Harry joined the firm at the age of 19 so this is an instrument of H. Crabb senior. Geoff says that his grandfather's reed work was outstanding so this could be a very special instrument.

Good luck with the sale.

May I ask why you describe this as 'Wheatstone Layout'? I have always believed that the single button in the fourth row is 'Jeff. Layout' and that the bigger Wheatstone instruments had two buttons in that row.

Howard can answer authoritatively, but my interpretation is that the notes follow the Wheatstone convention, particularly on the third row right hand, rather than the Jeffries convention. That is the sense I've always used the phrase "Wheatstone layout".

It does look an instrument to die for. Thank goodness my own Jeffries 38 G/D has inocculated me against it, or I should be looking for a second mortgage! I expect it to do, er, quite well at sale.

Chris

Howard can answer authoritatively, but my interpretation is that the notes follow the Wheatstone convention, particularly on the third row right hand, rather than the Jeffries convention. That is the sense I've always used the phrase "Wheatstone layout".

Chris

Indeed, I was really thinking of the right hand "accidental" row. This one follows the Wheatstone convention rather than the Jefferies.

Of course most anglos, especially when you get beyond the basic 30 keys, tend to vary from the "standard". Part of the fun of playing anglo is to try someone else's instrument and see how far through a tune you can get before you come across a note in an unexpected place!

I've had a number of instruments over the years and they've all had slightly different layouts. The layout of the G/D I'm offering for sale differs in a number of places from the equivalent layout of my 40-key C/G, which was also made by Crabb but nearly 50 years later.

1924 is six years before Harry joined the firm at the age of 19 so this is an instrument of H. Crabb senior. Geoff says that his grandfather's reed work was outstanding so this could be a very special instrument.

Good luck with the sale.

I've posted some sound files here

Edited by hjcjones