Morris Music

RustyBits

Does anyone know where to find recorded Morris tunes played on the concertina? I have all the sheet music but unfortunately, to me, it is like trying to read a foreign language that I don't understand :blink: . Lucky for me that I have a pretty good ear and pick up tunes quickly. I'm hoping to find something that is played with chords so that I can fill out the tunes.

Thanks!

Hi Lisa! What team are you with!

Also, CDSS has a CD/book morris tutorial by Dave Mallinson called Mally's Cotswold Morris. He plays a button accordion on the CD, but as Lester said, they sound really similar.

I got a copy for Christmas and it has helped me out a lot.

You don't need a recording of a concertina. Listen to *any* instrument playing Morris music and imitate what you hear.

There are, however, some fine recordings of Tom Kruskal playing Morris tunes on Anglo concertina with Jim Morrison (fiddle) and others from:

Cottey Light Industries

Rt. 2, Box 447

Charlottesville, VA 22901

Round Pond Relics, Cottey Light Industries CLI-901, LP only (1980)

Over the Water, Cottey Light Industries CLI-903 (1993)

The 2nd is available from many sources. The first may be hard to find.

Thanks for all the info! I dance with Highland Mary Morris here in mid-coast Maine. We dance Bampton, Fieldtown and Bledington with a few odd dances from other places thrown in. I Have the "Over the Water" CD, the trouble is that it only has one tune on it that we dance, as do the 3 other Morris CD's that I have. Lester's CD has quite a few, so that looks like a good bet. I'll have to check into Malley's. I've seen the book but didn't know there was a recording.

What side do you dance and play for Rhomylly?

I'm not currently with a side :( there isn't one closer than 2 hours away from here. But I have danced with Baltimorris and, briefly, Spruce Hill in Philly. But I grew up around morris dancing (and longsword and rapper and, and) and hope to be somewhere with a team soon.

If you download 'Amazing Slowdowner' then you can vary the CD speed for playing along, if you're a by-ear person (I'm by-ear and reader). Also, it will give you a virtual "someone" to practice with :)

Get hold of a copy of "Sheepskins" by John Kirkpatrick. I bought one at a Christmas concert given by the man himself about 7 weeks ago (signed of course). This is a CD recorded in the 80s by Mr K. in one of the rooms of the "Three Tuns" pub in Bishops Castle, Shropshire. It is a great recording of Morris tunes. There are 16 tracks where John Kirkpatrick plays one and two-row melodeons plus three different types of Anglo concertina - and in doing brings some good English tunes to life with zest and flair.

There's plenty there for a Morris enthusiast to get his teeth into. You should be able to find a copy using GOOGLE or by going to www.johnkirkpatrick.co.uk.

I was informed by Mr K's wife that Sheepskins 2 is in the offing. I for one, will be getting a copy.

Edited by Christopher Quinn

I've just checked Topic Records web site, and John Kirkpatrick's truly wonderful recording Plain Capers is still available. Here's what's on it:-

1 Glorishears

2 Hammersmith Flyover

3 Old Molly Oxford

4 Black Jack / Old Black Joe / Old Black Joe

5 Blue Eyed Stranger / Willow Tree

6 Brighton Camp / The March Past

7 Bobby & Joan / Bobbing-a-Joe

8 Monk's March / The Fieldtown Processional

9 Sweet Jenny Jones / Sherborne Jig / Sherborne Jig

10 Lumps of Plum Pudding

11 Highland Mary

12 Wheatley Processional

13 Maid of the Mill / Cuckoo's Nest / William & Nancy

14 The Buffoon / The Fool's Jig

15 Constant Billy

It's Topic CD TSCD458

Chris

I've just checked Topic Records web site, and John Kirkpatrick's truly wonderful recording Plain Capers is still available.

I'd echo what Chris has said. I could never tire of that medley of the different flavours of Constant Billy (Constant Billies? :) ) at the end of the record.