Help!

I have a problem! The d on the C row, right hand side of my concertina has stopped sounding. I was playing this evening when there was an audible pop noise and I found that there was no response when trying to play d. However the e on the same button still sounds perfectly. With great trepidation I removed the end ( I had never done this before) and even removed the reed shoe - if this is the right term - a block of metal with 2 reeds fastenened to it. There was nothing obviously wrong. My concertina is a hybrid type - a Geuns Wakker. Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened or do you think I should get in touch with Wim Wakker himself?

Thanks for any help.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

I have a problem! The d on the C row, right hand side of my concertina has stopped sounding. I was playing this evening when there was an audible pop noise and I found that there was no response when trying to play d. However the e on the same button still sounds perfectly. With great trepidation I removed the end ( I had never done this before) and even removed the reed shoe - if this is the right term - a block of metal with 2 reeds fastenened to it. There was nothing obviously wrong. My concertina is a hybrid type - a Geuns Wakker. Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened or do you think I should get in touch with Wim Wakker himself?

Thanks for any help.

Nigel

Nigel, you should definitely get in touch with Wim. You'll find him most helpful, I'm sure he'll talk you through things. Good luck!

With the reed plate in your hand, hold it up to a light (or sunny window) and make sure you can see "daylight" around three sides of the reed. It might be that a small speck of something has got stuck between the reed and the plate and can be removed by flossing it with a thin piece of paper (newsprint, cigarette paper, straw wrapper, etc.).

As this flossing is harmless, you might find that it helps even if you don't see the problem.

If it doesn't help, look carefully at the reed for a fracture line. If the reed has fractured it will need to be replaced.

"Reed shoe" would be the correct term for individually mounted concertina reeds (also "reed carrier"). With accordion reeds mounted in pairs like you've got, it is more correctly called a "reed plate."

Good luck, Nigel.

And, as usual, should you or any of your force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

And, as usual, should you or any of your force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

That's not very reassuring David!

I did get in touch with Wim Wakker and he passed me on to Harry Geuns who had made my concertina. He suggested, just as you did, that the reed might be stuck due to dust or a particle of dirt. After a couple of attempts, I did manage to clear the reed and it now sounds perfectly, which has put the smile back on my face. I hadn't realised how important my concertina was to me until I was faced with not being able to play it.

Many thanks for your help David and Tallship. I am a happy bunny once more.

Nigel