Would The Real Geek Please Stand Up

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Old Leaky
This won't amuse anyone but me.

No, but maybe this will...

Q. What's the difference between an accordion and a concertina?

A. An accordion takes longer to burn!

Er, I know you've all seen this sort of thing before and, at 5 pages (to date), I haven't taken the bother to read through this entire thread to see if it's already appeared but, hey!, does this not sum the whole thing up? :D

PS No variations please... as I said, it's likely been done before (to death).

Edited by Old Leaky

Er, I know you've all seen this sort of thing before and, at 5 pages (to date), I haven't taken the bother to read through this entire thread to see if it's already appeared but, hey!, does this not sum the whole thing up? :D

Actually it doesn't sum it up at all and frankly, these jokes can't be farther from truth. They seem to originate in some narrow circle of Trend cretins. No need to repeat them.

Guest Old Leaky

WHO ARE YOU CALLING A TREND? :angry: If it offends your sensibility so much, er, why do you repeat it yourself despite your "no need to..."? I take it you have no sense or irony? I refer you to the thread title... :huh:

PS What's a "TREND"? :P

Edited by Old Leaky

...and what is a TREND cretin??

The dictionary definitions I've found for "cretin" can be summed up by this one: "a person who is mentally subnormal and physically deformed". I think some folks consider all geeks to be cretins, though not all cretins are geeks. And that's not to be confused with Cretans, who are cool!

"TREND"? At least in America, that's a liquid laundry detergent. So is a "TREND cretin" someone who suffered injury from falling into a washing machine? :unsure:

But an older meaning of "trend" (usually uncapitalized) is a "direction" or "tendency". So is a "TREND cretin" someone who has become crippled (mentally and physically) because they're going somewhere? I'm not sure. Maybe it only happens if they're travelling too fast. :unsure: There is something in Special Relativity theory about things moving at close to the speed of light becoming physically distorted, but I don't recall anything about mental (d)effects.

:ph34r:

Actually it doesn't sum it up at all and frankly, these jokes can't be farther from truth. They seem to originate in some narrow circle of Trend cretins. No need to repeat them.

I play both of these instruments and I thought the joke was funny. Not true, but funny. :lol:

Are you kidding?!! Many of the plastics used in accordions are so flammable they virtually explode! (Isn't there a video on the internet of someone's accordion bursting into flame during a performance?) A metal-ended Jeffries, on the other hand, would take "forever" to burn.

I first heard that joke as a comparison between a violin and a viola, where it makes more sense. ;)

...does this not sum the whole thing up? :D
Actually it doesn't sum it up at all and frankly, these jokes can't be farther from truth.

I'm not sure what our Old friend meant, but to me the joke certainly sums up an attitude toward accordions (and concertinas) which is being discussed in this thread.

I play both of these instruments and I thought the joke was funny. Not true, but funny. :lol:

I've always preferred the one about the difference between an accordion (or concertina) and an onion.

Are we due now for another run of concertina (and accordion?) jokes? If so, maybe somebody could resurrect one of the old threads (there have been a few), rather than hijacking this Topic (said I, geekily :)).

Guest Old Leaky

Er, it was never my intention to hijack this thread which is why I included a warning against recycling the joke(s) in my original post. Still, I should have known better! But you were right about it being a matter of attitude. Thanks.

Edited by Old Leaky

"TREND"? At least in America, that's a liquid laundry detergent. So is a "TREND cretin" someone who suffered injury from falling into a washing machine? :unsure:

Precisely!

All the accordion jokes originate there.

And If I'll push myself into that washing machine (virtual), let's see what I can come up with... aha!

So there are people in life boat, having nothing to eat for many days.

They decide to eat someone and their eyes turn to one guy in the corner.

He says: "I'm not accordion player".

As washing machine professionals often say: "there must be a limit"

Sometimes too much humor emanating from those devices can be hard to stand.

It's too funny for mortals.

Well, I'm a newcomer (8 months) and only play one (free reed) instrument. And saying I play might be a stretch. (I can't wait to torture Chris at the Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann Boston Traditional Music School next Saturday.)

But I laughed ... And then I told the joke to my husband. Who laughed. Then I told the joke to my almost teenager. She didn't laugh. But then she hasn't cracked a smile in two weeks. Her mom plays a concertina and her father plays with old cameras and spent the weekend photographing a figure model (not me) in the piano room. Life sucks. And then you realize your parents are geeks.

Welcome to 7th grade.

Lucy

Newcomer and would dearly, dearly love any and all accordion/concertina jokes out there. Am getting together with the PA player in a couple of weeks. I need an arsenal.

Welcome to 7th grade.

Lucy

Newcomer and would dearly, dearly love any and all accordion/concertina jokes out there. Am getting together with the PA player in a couple of weeks. I need an arsenal.

We're there too, not to worry. A year older though. Last year our 14 yo has barely squeezed a smile at her little sister. Her mom got looks (and mom is way cool). I didn't even get a look. However this year our child is changed. So don't despare.

I would never ever dare to tell such a joke (any joke of such superb caliber) to my 15 yo.

After all she is a child, my child.

I also beg you not to stretch the limits, when you meet your PA player. It's been an order by Accordion Police for at least a decade - not to tell these jokes.

It may be new to you, but believe me, any N. American PA player knows them by heart and is sick of them.

The only one who benefits from these is devil himself.

No, I'm not personally offended, and don't hold accordion players somehow high in esteem. At least most Russian accordion players are poorly educated, have over-hiped self-esteem based on thinking that Mendeleev Tables is some sort of Restorant.

It's a toll they pay for ability to play so well, and I think it is luxury. Spare them the jokes.

At least most Russian accordion players are poorly educated, have over-hiped self-esteem based on thinking that Mendeleev Tables is some sort of Restorant.

It's a toll they pay for ability to play so well, and I think it is luxury. Spare them the jokes.

What do you call a conservatory-trained Russian accordionist in Denmark?

A busker!

• 7 months later...
Irish born and bred, Shiksa by marriage, Klezmer-wannabe

Here's a tune for an irish klezmer player :D The Klezmer Reel ... An EC player at our local session always plays this (and currently plays it solo, but I'm starting to pick it up now (ps I think there's a gsharp missing in the notation here, just sharpen all the low gs and none of the high ones! ))

Thanks, I really like this tune. I worked out my own chords, which I think are in the proper Klezmer tradition. Here is a short GIF file of the score, with my fake chords edited in. Enjoy, and please comment on my harmonies -- Mike K.

post-822-1207760857_thumb.png

Edited by ragtimer

OOOO I can't believe I missed this thread. You did a PA thread without me!

Of course PAs are cool.

Starting the week of April 21, I'll have a week off from my 2 jobs so I can read Cnet to my heart's content. So, you know, save up your good stuff for that week!

Just kidding.

This was a great thread and thanks to the people who resurrected it so I got a chance to see it. Maybe during that week I'll check out all the websites mentioned.

Hi everyone. :lol:

Withal, there sure seems to be a whole lotta PA music around lately. TV comercials, movie soundtracks, Last nite I saw a documentary about a group of (unlikely ) folks training to run the Boston Marathon.

Yep, PA music swelling and throbbing around them as they staggered across the line.

Seems to be the current instrument to emote to.

If that's what PA music does to otherwise ordinary people, then I'm glad I gave up on 'em.

The PA, not the people...

RB