Would The Real Geek Please Stand Up

SuperMan the movie has plauged us with this urban myth.

Superman lying as well? My last childhood hero now stands with politicians. :angry:

Guess I can forget about "faster than a speeding bullet"...

Edited by Mark Evans

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superman lying as well? My last childhood hero now stands with politicians. :angry:

It doesn't happen in nature, remember Superman is science fiction.

Alan

It doesn't happen in nature, remember Superman is science fiction.

Alan

Especially "science" :blink:

I know some people who like to try playing at that speed. It is not very musical! :)

- John Wild

Know a few a' them myself and when I was younger was one of them when the moon was full as it is tonight...ah-oooooo! :ph34r:

I know some people who like to try playing at that speed. It is not very musical! :)
Know a few a' them myself and when I was younger was one of them when the moon was full as it is tonight...ah-oooooo! :ph34r:

Y'r late, Mark. (Gittin' slow in y'r old age?)

Full moon was Tuesday morning.

Can only have a lunar eclipse when the moon is full.

And be careful not to use a concertina with silver reeds if you're playing at bullet speed. :ph34r: :D

As someone who's played a small (16 button base) piano accordion since age 14 and picked up anglo concertina about 5 years ago, I'd like to issue a warning to any ladies out there who consider playing the PA in anything less than fully protective clothing - DON'T - the sticking out bits of human anatomy hurt when caught in the bellows :o

I stopped using PA for morris etc when I damaged my back and couldn't stand to play because of the weight issue, I then moved on to the whistle for a few years before getting my 'tinas. I also play bodhran and sing and I've just finished bronze stringing my baby harp. Oh and my husband is a train-spotter :(

So yep, I'm geek. Not sure I'd bite live ones but I've certainly wrung a few necks! :D

Y'r late, Mark. (Gittin' slow in y'r old age?)

Full moon was Tuesday morning.

I know, and I'm still howlin' :P .

Me an' the bulldog took a 3:30 am walk so's I could see the eclipse start...fantastic. The neighborhood pooches certainly howled at us and not a few of them recieved an angry owner's rebuke. Sorry lads, neither of us were in our right minds. :ph34r:

Edited by Mark Evans

As someone who's played a small (16 button base) piano accordion since age 14 and picked up anglo concertina about 5 years ago, I'd like to issue a warning to any ladies out there who consider playing the PA in anything less than fully protective clothing - DON'T - the sticking out bits of human anatomy hurt when caught in the bellows :o

I stopped using PA for morris etc when I damaged my back and couldn't stand to play because of the weight issue, I then moved on to the whistle for a few years before getting my 'tinas. I also play bodhran and sing and I've just finished bronze stringing my baby harp. Oh and my husband is a train-spotter :(

So yep, I'm geek. Not sure I'd bite live ones but I've certainly wrung a few necks! :D

So no naked PA performances, huh? Another factor in favor of the concertina.

I hear you on the multiple hobbies. I just bought a 2000 lbs treadle-operated printing press. Because no one, and I mean no one, wants to hear me sing.

My husband is a large-format photographer. I am spending the weekend working as his assistant while he photographs his favorite model. A nude size 4 who has never given birth. I am a very, very understanding wife.

Train-spotter, huh? That's got to be good for Freudian teasing. My husband used to compete in ballroom dancing. That was hysterical. Until ballroom dancing became less uncool thanks to the television shows.

Lucy

Haven't been on C.net for a while and started reading this thread. I'm replying before I read all the posts so sorry if I duplicate...

I found that PA is proper established instrument for over the hill MBAs.
And chemnitzer concertina appears to be the instrument for retired machinists. A different kind of geeky to be sure.
I find concertina sounds better for Klezmer, more doleful.
Klezmer with English Concertina from Washington DC area: 30 Years.

I play the sheng -- where does that fall in the scale of free-reed geekiness?

Incidentally, I found it amusing to find this thread at the top today, as I had just returned from trying to get my Lachenal english concertina repaired at a local accordion repair shop (no luck, he's too busy, and has little respect for concertinas), and in despair had been considering taking up piano accordion instead just to have any fully chromatic free-reed instrument.

Lucy - not only a train-spotter (steam only) but a computer nerd and a morris dancer, but very tolerant of all my music although he's tone deaf himself. B)

My PA belonged to my grandmother - she played it on stage in London. :)

Lucy - not only a train-spotter (steam only) but a computer nerd and a morris dancer, but very tolerant of all my music although he's tone deaf himself. B)

Hillary (one of my all time favorite names btw):

... AND a Morris dancer. Oy vey. He may have juuuust edged out my stud-muffin. And only because mine is almost completely computer illiterate. I once had to show him how to turn on the computer. (I'm not joking. I still have to restart his c when it freezes.)

My husband -- who is listening to me read this post aloud -- says, "HOW can he be a steam train-spotter? There aren't any steam operated trains left! He must just sit by the track all day ..."

(If he is thinking 'lucky guy', he's in big trouble.)

And, now, because we almost got completely off the subject of concertinas ... I ran into a friend / enthusiastic Morris dancer while picking up the challah tonight. Her daughter plays the concertina.

She thinks Morris music and ITM are "the same thing, really."

Realllllly ... ?!?!?

Lucy

And for this - to heck with shabbat - I am making a gin & tonic

Hillary (one of my all time favorite names btw):

... AND a Morris dancer. Oy vey. He may have juuuust edged out my stud-muffin. And only because mine is almost completely computer illiterate. I once had to show him how to turn on the computer. (I'm not joking. I still have to restart his c when it freezes.)

My husband -- who is listening to me read this post aloud -- says, "HOW can he be a steam train-spotter? There aren't any steam operated trains left! He must just sit by the track all day ..."

And, now, because we almost got completely off the subject of concertinas ... I ran into a friend / enthusiastic Morris dancer while picking up the challah tonight.

As a long time Jew I can give you advice on the best halah. Avoid all of them!

They're nothing but trouble, whether it is Oy-vey or Hopti-dobe-doo.

I think a good Jewish Shabad goes with watermelon just nicely.

Is the train spotter just someone who maintains the trains? Models or real,just touches them here and there, fixes them up? No?

If no, then your husband must live in India.

Back to topic. Not only Morris is a form of Irish Traditional Music, but also a Concertina is a form of Accordion. Only it's for kids.

And Ukulele is child version of guitar.

So?

As a long time Jew I can give you advice on the best halah. Avoid all of them!

They're nothing but trouble, whether it is Oy-vey or Hopti-dobe-doo.

I think a good Jewish Shabad goes with watermelon just nicely.

Is the train spotter just someone who maintains the trains? Models or real,just touches them here and there, fixes them up? No?

If no, then your husband must live in India.

Back to topic. Not only Morris is a form of Irish Traditional Music, but also a Concertina is a form of Accordion. Only it's for kids.

And Ukulele is child version of guitar.

So?

? Jewish Shabad ? A Shabad is a Sikh hymn.

Need challah for the motzi for kids. Not for waistline. I only take one bite.

Morris vs. ITM. New topic.

Lucy

Shiksa - cooking mussels for dinner for me, tuna and/or halibut for the rest

There are many preserved steam hauled railways in the UK, especially in Kent in the South East. The first weekend in October sees the Tenterden folk festival, for me usually the last one of the year after which I hibernate. This year on the Sunday, Kettlebridge Clogs will be boarding a festival special train. This involves dancing at Tenterden, then boarding the train to the next station down the line, hopping off for more dancing, then continuing to the next station. This process is repeated to the other end of the line, and then we repeat the process back to Tenterden.

Apart from trying to keep my concertina free from soot, it should be fun.

- John Wild

There are many preserved steam hauled railways in the UK, especially in Kent in the South East. The first weekend in October sees the Tenterden folk festival, for me usually the last one of the year after which I hibernate. This year on the Sunday, Kettlebridge Clogs will be boarding a festival special train. This involves dancing at Tenterden, then boarding the train to the next station down the line, hopping off for more dancing, then continuing to the next station. This process is repeated to the other end of the line, and then we repeat the process back to Tenterden.

Apart from trying to keep my concertina free from soot, it should be fun.

- John Wild

My husband just said, "I want to be him when I grow up." He's 51. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for explaining about the steam trains.

:-)

Lucy

Hello and thanks so far for this interesting thread...

Well, this is always interesting to me because I do play both piano accordion and concertina and therefore I here often the reactions mentioned before.

The concertina is "ooooooooh how niiiiiice" and the accordion is "oh! (pause pause pause) well, if you have to...".

Sadly enough. And I think it is as mentioned before, the image of the accordion is simply wrong because a majority knows it as a loud folk instrument, used for polkas and waltzes - by geeks. If I watch accordion music on TV (and that´s pretty easy living in Germany) basically everything is done to maintain this image - not regarding that in music classes the kids are being educated in classical music - the way I learned this instrument.

Oh, this is so said because the variety is mahousive and the first image the box is connected with is a geek playing a silly loud tune.

So, here some links to save the reputation of that machine...

sad greetings

Christian

Brehme