Would The Real Geek Please Stand Up

An adult geek is someone who stopped caring about what other people think of his/her oddball, eccentric, massively uncool interests and hobbies, if he/she ever cared in the first place.

Very good. Thanks.

So a Nerd can be Cool, but can't be Dork.

A Dork can be Geek, but can't be Nerd.

A Geek can be Nerd, but can't be Cool.

And a Cool can be Dork, but can't be Geek.

In real life:

Cools are Dorks.

Dorks are Geeks.

Geeks are Nerds.

And Nerds are Cool.

But when a Cool Dork plays Concertina, it's lame.

When Dorky Geek plays PA - it's lame.

When Geeky Nerd plays Concertina, it's hot.

When Nerdy Cool plays PA - it's hot.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good. Thanks.

So a Nerd can be Cool, but can't be Dork.

A Dork can be Geek, but can't be Nerd.

A Geek can be Nerd, but can't be Cool.

And a Cool can be Dork, but can't be Geek.

In real life:

Cools are Dorks.

Dorks are Geeks.

Geeks are Nerds.

And Nerds are Cool.

But when a Cool Dork plays Concertina, it's lame.

When Dorky Geek plays PA - it's lame.

When Geeky Nerd plays Concertina, it's hot.

When Nerdy Cool plays PA - it's hot.

Ooh, that almost has a Dr. Seuss thing goin' on :P .

Edited by Mark Evans

So a man walks into a music store, just having had his flat ransacked by unscrupolus burglars, losing his prized fiddle and some other momentos of life.

He asks the clerk, "have you got an instrument nobody would ever want to steal?"

The clerk smiled, and pulled a large piano accordion off the wall. The man looked it over, and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the pearlesque beast, asked:

"Well, do you have anything a thief might might pass over as junk?"

The clerk thought for a moment, then reached under the counter and handed him a concertina...

I'm presently struggling with the Irish version and each week sure that it is well in hand at session I slip right back north of the boarder as we really get going. The Smithwicks ale doesn't seem to help as I was assured it would :blink: .

A silly update and not intended to be a thread drift:

I aquitted myself in a satisfactory fashion at John Stone's last night during the Irish version of St. Anne's Reel. Evidently the ratio of Smithwick's to reel had been off. It required two pints :P ! Only problem with that level of adjustment is that I ended cutting random verses from songs :blink: and taking off on a scat version in the midst of the Red Haired Boy because the only words that came to mind were a tad off color for even our late evening crowd... :ph34r:

Some players of PA have ideas above their station!

Now you have to admit that a feller's got bollocks to undertake such a task....

Lord preserve me, it was well done. Only one minor nit-picky flaw for me in his Romantic presentation; he took a wee bit too long to move into the fugue. As one of the comments on You Tube says....Maestro!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hmTG9wTfrzk&...ted&search=

Interesting. At the end, when he played passage on basses, one of the low reeds fluttered, and he was swearing.

I'm surprized to see Russian PA players of such caliber. Weren't they pressed to switch to CBA? It could be a simple matter of not having the classy bayan for concervatory level, but it could be transition from piano.

But here's another one:

I wonder if Argentinian Bandoneon Professors will be admitted to Saint Petersburg Conservatory at all.

Souns like ethnic arrogance, but it really is just an awe. Playing of such virtuosos, like Gabriel Clausi and others is simply inferiour in comparison. I wonder, if the layout of buttonboard has somethng to do with it, or natural adherence to the styles of Tango has crippling effect?

Edited by m3838

I wonder if Argentinian Bandoneon Professors will be admitted to Saint Petersburg Conservatory at all.

Souns like ethnic arrogance, but it really is just an awe. Playing of such virtuosos, like Gabriel Clausi and others is simply inferiour in comparison. I wonder, if the layout of buttonboard has somethng to do with it, or natural adherence to the styles of Tango has crippling effect?

Provided here without critical comment is a link to a bandoneon rendition of Bach's 2-part Invention #4.

I also need to dig out my old (1982) cassette of Klaus Gutjahr doing Bach and other baroque music on bandoneon. At that time he said he was just starting to learn to play tangos.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hmTG9wTfrzk&...ted&search=

I think that video is an example of someone reaching a station above others' ideas. B)

Meanwhile, I want those of you folks who worry about simply switching between anglo and English or even between Wheatstone and Jeffries anglo layouts to notice how radically different the two keyboards are that he is playing simultaneously. :ph34r: :)

Provided here without critical comment is a link to a bandoneon rendition of Bach's 2-part Invention #4.

Precisely!

Note, how sloppy his tremolo is? At times he doesn't even hit the button. Technically, it's far cry from what those youngsters are doing. It may be the improved technology of bayan making, or simply process of sorting out, that makes Russian accordion players to be in different leage alltogether.

What's the use? :(

What's the use? :(

Does there need to be a use? Naw, no need at all. That the task is undertaken is the goal.

One of the in-laws asked my wife, "why did you have to marry an American?" Her reply, "because I wanted to." God love her, for as an afore mentioned American, a concertina and banjo player I'll always be an "ole lump a' coal" and not likely to ever be "a diamond some day." ;)

Edited by Mark Evans

I'll always be an "ole lump a' coal" and not likely to ever be "a diamond some day." ;)

well then Chin Up!

Coal never turns into diamonds. SuperMan the movie has plauged us with this urban myth.