Stagi A-56-n English Concertina For $568?

lmc

I was looking around the web for the Stagi 56 button tenor treble comparing sites and prices most are around $1000+, then I came accross a site in Wisconsin that sells the "Stagi A-56-N English Concertina"

for $568.

Since I am a novice to all of this I am wondering if this is the SAME concertina being sold at a steep discount or is this a cheaper model being sold at a cheaper price. And if it is NOT the same model that comparably sells for around $1000, how can one tell the difference (without actually being there and picking it up!) I called them to ask and they said it was the SAME model that is sold elsewhere...

Can anyone help clear this up?

Thanks,

Leonor

The A-56-N is a 56 key tenor/treble. Retails in the UK at £495. One company in the UK discounts squeezeboxes massively, don't ask me how they do it, they just do. I keep being tempted by the Stagi 18 key miniature at only £168.75 (including tax) when most others sell it at around £250

As long as it's the right model and that's what you want, snap it up.

I I asked the same question a bit ago. the reseller in question was Jim Laabs or something like that. A few people suggested that they had not such good luck with them. this was from a customer service stand point. I do not remember if they said there were issues with instrument per se.

But it definitely does make you wonder, assuming they are a large volume shop they may get a deeper discount than most other small volume resellers and are able to sell a quite a large discount..

I would be inclined to say go for it and report back to us. The upside is if you use a credit card then you have some degree of protection as well as if it goes out of MN then it gets into that whole interstate commerce/ mail fraud /federal crime thing. So if there is a problem, while they may make it difficult to return the item, it should be able to be worked out eventually..

just remember to save all of the packing material...

I I asked the same question a bit ago. the reseller in question was Jim Laabs or something like that. A few people suggested that they had not such good luck with them. this was from a customer service stand point. I do not remember if they said there were issues with instrument per se.

But it definitely does make you wonder, assuming they are a large volume shop they may get a deeper discount than most other small volume resellers and are able to sell a quite a large discount..

I would be inclined to say go for it and report back to us. The upside is if you use a credit card then you have some degree of protection as well as if it goes out of MN then it gets into that whole interstate commerce/ mail fraud /federal crime thing. So if there is a problem, while they may make it difficult to return the item, it should be able to be worked out eventually..

just remember to save all of the packing material...

HHhmmmm...You are correct it is Jim Laabs and I went back to the web site and called regarding their return policy, they don't have one just and exchange poilicy. So could I look back over the older posts and find your original question and follow-up answers? I surely would be interested in checking into it. It sounds like they are the same instruments that are selling for about a 1/3 more at most other places. I would love to hear from more folks on their experiences with the 56 stagi as well as the vendor in terms of customer service.

leonor

The A-56-N is a 56 key tenor/treble. Retails in the UK at £495. One company in the UK discounts squeezeboxes massively, don't ask me how they do it, they just do. I keep being tempted by the Stagi 18 key miniature at only £168.75 (including tax) when most others sell it at around £250

As long as it's the right model and that's what you want, snap it up.

It is tempting, and the 18 mini is going at this place for $379. Just seems weird that they can sell them for about a 1/3 less than most other places. I guess I am a wee bit skeptical, buyer beware and all that.

I completely agree. I was/ and still am hesitant..

I have been oogling the a18 and the 48/56 for a while.

At the moment I am in the saving up mode to buy a better anglo, otherwise I probably would have taken the plunge and given one of these a try. I picked a used stagi duet a couple of weeks ago and that is pretty neat. But, being new to this whole concertina world, I want one of everyting and to give everything a try and see what actually works for me, i am completely unfocused.

I have seen Stagis new out of the box, and tweaked by Kimric Smythe, our local accordion dealer in Oakland, Ca - tremendous difference.

So you would need to bring it to repairman for conditioning and pay for it.

But why would you need 56 button Stagi? Stagi is beginner's instrument (and not by choice). If you are up to the 56 button English - you are advanced player. Imagine playing those chords spanning the range of two/half octaves. High notes weak and overwhelmed by low, and low notes are slow to start and lose air.

Plus the leaking bellows.

Buy from a dealer, who is able to tune and tweak it.

Unless, again, there is something new I'm not aware of. I was told they have redesigned the action, and I have tried this new action Stagi. It was exceptionally good, but there was some work in it put by the repairman. It could be 10%, or it could be 90%.

I want one of everyting

Oo er! I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are showing early signs of CAD (concertina acquisition disorder) which is the slippery slope to bankruptcy! Once you have one of each type you will want all of the variations and all of the makers.. you'll hunt down a Louis Lachenal as well as a Lachenal and Co. You'll drive yourself frantic trying to find a Wheatstone label which reads 'By His Majesty's Letters and Patents.. etc' as well as 'By Her Majesty's Letters and Patents.. etc'

You'll lust after Aeolas, pine for an Edeophone, dribble over pictures of a Jeffries. You're doomed I tell you, doomed! :lol:

If I were buying any Stagi model in North America, I'd stick to the Button Box. What they charge covers careful retuning and set up and is worth every penny. Odds are good you'll need to have that done anyway after you buy it somewhere else. Rich or Doug can tell you how many Stagis sold by other retailers come in to them for this same fix-up - a lot! Might as well get it done to start, if you decide to go for this model.

You might consider the less expensive Stagi 48-k tenor - few of us use those squeaky keys at the very top of the range that you would give up this way. These turn up used now and then on ebay (take your chances) and at the Button Box.

Ken

I just looked, and there is what is likely a Bastari, a used treble-range English, on the used list at Elderly Instruments here. For only $195 you can have many of the issues that come with most new Stagis ("some out-of-tune notes, some out-of-alignment buttons, a few sticky reeds, etc.") and only miss out on the lowest notes on the Tenor range!

Alternatively, you might consider the Jackie or Jack for similar money, from Concertina Connection or Button Box.

Ken

Thanks to everyone for their input, yes I agree it is way too iffy to go with that vendor. It makes a great deal of sense to go with someone reputable like The Button Box. I think at present I will stick with my Marcus 30 anglo. I just was curius about and wanted to try the English concertina. I think I will go browse at the House of Musical Traditions (and save my money for that perfect deal!).

After a couple of phone calls and an email I didn't get the impression I wanted to purchase from this place.

I want one of everyting

Oo er! I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are showing early signs of CAD (concertina acquisition disorder) which is the slippery slope to bankruptcy! Once you have one of each type you will want all of the variations and all of the makers.. you'll hunt down a Louis Lachenal as well as a Lachenal and Co. You'll drive yourself frantic trying to find a Wheatstone label which reads 'By His Majesty's Letters and Patents.. etc' as well as 'By Her Majesty's Letters and Patents.. etc'

You'll lust after Aeolas, pine for an Edeophone, dribble over pictures of a Jeffries. You're doomed I tell you, doomed! :lol:

Amen to that!

Pandemonium, I tell ya! Dogs and cats living together, we are DOOOOOMED!!!

But seriously.. I would hope I don't get to that level of hopelessness and despair. But, as a newbie that is just getting to the point of not peeling the paint of the walls when i play it is difficult to not look at and want to try all of the options to see what sticks.

I feel as though I am starting to get a bit of a handle on the anglo. The hayden seems to make more sense to me and the English appeals too as while logical (somewhat like a duet), there seem to be a lot of resources (tutors and music).

This coupled with the fact that there appears to be quite a number of "good" instruments out there (vintage) for under the 1k mark..

But i have to tag off of a statement in this thread.. Why not a 56 button to start? While rationale that some chords may be out of reach of a beginner will definitely be true does that not mean that the novice would not get there? Would it not be better (long term) to have the same instrument and gradually unlock the potential?

This to my admitted lack of knowledge seems akin to starting piano lessons on a 24 key piano and only gradually moving up to 88. Or starting with a 4 string guitar and ultimately getting to 6strings.

Pandemonium, I tell ya! Dogs and cats living together, we are DOOOOOMED!!!

But seriously.. I would hope I don't get to that level of hopelessness and despair. But, as a newbie that is just getting to the point of not peeling the paint of the walls when i play it is difficult to not look at and want to try all of the options to see what sticks.

I feel as though I am starting to get a bit of a handle on the anglo. The hayden seems to make more sense to me and the English appeals too as while logical (somewhat like a duet), there seem to be a lot of resources (tutors and music).

This coupled with the fact that there appears to be quite a number of "good" instruments out there (vintage) for under the 1k mark..

But i have to tag off of a statement in this thread.. Why not a 56 button to start? While rationale that some chords may be out of reach of a beginner will definitely be true does that not mean that the novice would not get there? Would it not be better (long term) to have the same instrument and gradually unlock the potential?

This to my admitted lack of knowledge seems akin to starting piano lessons on a 24 key piano and only gradually moving up to 88. Or starting with a 4 string guitar and ultimately getting to 6strings.

Actually, that was kinda my rationale. I have an anglo I am really enjoying but since I have played the piano accordion I thought that maybe the English would also be fun being that it is a "single action"(?) instrument and the buttons kind of remind me of the left hand basses and chords of the PA, and I had read somewhere that the 56 Stagi is a little better made than the 48 etc...but then again, I am also a newbie.

Alternatively, you might consider the Jackie or Jack for similar money, from Concertina Connection or Button Box.

Leonor, I'm with Ken here; if you want to try English concertina I can thoroughly recommend the Jack/Jackie concertinas because I have one of each. I'm looking to upgrade shortly but I'll probably keep the Jack because vintage baritones are that much harder to come by and therefore significantly more expensive. You'll have a playable instrument that will retain a good portion of its' value if it doesn't work out or you want to upgrade at a later stage. It's a lot cheaper than the 56 key Stagi too!

Leonor, I'm with Ken here; if you want to try English concertina I can thoroughly recommend the Jack/Jackie concertinas because I have one of each. I'm looking to upgrade shortly but I'll probably keep the Jack because vintage baritones are that much harder to come by and therefore significantly more expensive. You'll have a playable instrument that will retain a good portion of its' value if it doesn't work out or you want to upgrade at a later stage. It's a lot cheaper than the 56 key Stagi too!

I was checking out the sound files on the Concertina Connection page for the Jackie/Jack and they both sounded pretty good. Maybe I will give them a try. I was also looking at the Stagi 18 at a shop today and that had an amazingly big sound for such a little thing (I really was tempted and maybe down the line...)

By the way, the 56 Stagi at the shop in Wisconsin has had a price increase to $680 I think, so it is no longer the deal at $568.