Why I Play The Concertina

Wow, that makes me want to put the piano accordion away for good. I find myself going to the concertina because it so light in comparison, it's only a matter of time before the PA goes up for sale.

Geez, I hope I don't look like that when I play. :unsure:

Callifornians, always hung up on looks, when all it matters is can they play?

Alan

Yes, maybe they should get face lifts and breast augmentations to accent the boxes. The guy on the right really needs a tan. :P Unfortunately, there are a lot of people here who really do care about that nonsense and would disregard a good player based on their looks. It's really sad. I think I play the accordion pretty well in my opinion, but some people make fun of me and tell me I look silly when I play . They don't even bother to actually listen to the music. Squeeze boxes have a bad reputation over here. When I pull my accordion or concertina out to play, the initial reaction is usually laughter. The picture of the two guys doesn't help the squeeze box reputation as being a real instrument. Those two are clearly just messing around and don't really look like that when they play if they play at all.

Squeeze boxes have a bad reputation over here. When I pull my accordion or concertina out to play, the initial reaction is usually laughter.

Oh my! Where do you live, back in the 80es?

On to Accordion Festival in Cotati Ca.

Ah, crowds of bald bellied oldsters, listening to sleek renditions of 50es jazz liks, performed on huge PAs glittering of MOP.

The sounds of funky DBBs mixing with some faint CBA, B system.

That Russian guy in ridiculous fur hat, squeezing boring overused Russian tunes on his Bayan, trying to sell his boring CDs, that nobody needs. Fattening food, dance stage with overall age of participants around 67yo - Paradise!

Wow, that makes me want to put the piano accordion away for good. I find myself going to the concertina because it so light in comparison, it's only a matter of time before the PA goes up for sale.

Geez, I hope I don't look like that when I play. :unsure:

There's truth in jest...I have noticed among all but one concertina player of my acquaintance, we do make odd momentary facial expressions while playing, as if the part of the brain that decides which button to push is close enough to the facial control center that there's an occasional impulse overflow...I feel it myself when playing...

Eyebrows and lips tend to move up and down or do odd things when playing 'tina...Tell me I'm not the only one who ever noticed this?

Doug :blink: <_< :rolleyes:

Is the picture reversed, or are they playing those button boxes upside down?

Don't look reversed. The words on the tape over the shoulder of the left guy is correct, and also the sign "vintage" by his hip. :lol:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

There's truth in jest...I have noticed among all but one concertina player of my acquaintance, we do make odd momentary facial expressions while playing, as if the part of the brain that decides which button to push is close enough to the facial control center that there's an occasional impulse overflow...I feel it myself when playing...

Eyebrows and lips tend to move up and down or do odd things when playing 'tina...Tell me I'm not the only one who ever noticed this?

Doug :blink: <_< :rolleyes:

I hadn't noticed the facial expressions, but my daughter and son certainly have :( . Those two little Goths gave an impromtu impersonation of me playing the concertina at supper. I was secretly proud by their mimicking skill and grateful they took the time to notice. Lord, do I really do that? :unsure:

Edited by Mark Evans

The "concertina player's blank stare" has been noticed and a topic of conversation since before I took up the instrument. So are these other expressions you mention really something bizarre and unique to concertina players, or maybe just more noticeable because they're surrounded by blankness? :unsure: :o :D

I feel that few grimaces help your audience understand how you are working and suffering for their pleasure. I do it a lot less since it was pointed out though.

Well you can worry what about what you look like or you can worry about what you sound like. Certainly the charts are full of acts that seem to prioritize appearance - and just see what music they produce!

(I'd like to think I'm turning into a grumpy old git - but actually I've held the same opinion for about the last 30 years. Grumpy prematurely-old git perhaps?)

KEEP THAT NOISE DOWN :angry:

Squeeze boxes have a bad reputation over here. When I pull my accordion or concertina out to play, the initial reaction is usually laughter.

Oh my! Where do you live, back in the 80es?

On to Accordion Festival in Cotati Ca.

Ah, crowds of bald bellied oldsters, listening to sleek renditions of 50es jazz liks, performed on huge PAs glittering of MOP.

The sounds of funky DBBs mixing with some faint CBA, B system.

That Russian guy in ridiculous fur hat, squeezing boring overused Russian tunes on his Bayan, trying to sell his boring CDs, that nobody needs. Fattening food, dance stage with overall age of participants around 67yo - Paradise!

Oh my! That sounds like heaven! I am going to have to make time to attend this festival.

Is the picture reversed, or are they playing those button boxes upside down?

No, they are both lefthanded and playing lefthanded boxes. :P

Alan

They are holding them upside down.

And their inportant parts are protected by some sort of shield.

Chas

Edited by fidjit

So are these other expressions you mention really something bizarre and unique to concertina players, or maybe just more noticeable because they're surrounded by blankness? :unsure: :o :D

Not at all unique! I love watching people playing music, you can tell it's making their brains work. Mr Ishtar has a guitar-playing face. Moi, I don't want to know what I look like when I'm playing! :ph34r: