Concertina Stolen, Hoping To Find A Used Instrument To Replace It..

mattysophatty

I'm new here, but I could really use some help. On Sunday 8/19 my Stagi 48 key treble english concertina was stolen from me at Port Authority in NYC. It really sucks. I'd had the instrument since 1998 when I was 13, I played it in a traditional Irish group, traveled around the world with it, played it at the All-Irelands, and was heading to a recording session with it this weekend. The instrument itself meant a lot to me, even if it wasn't a super fancy one. Unfortunately now, as a recent college graduate, I just don't have the money to buy a new one. Since this seems to be the most knowlegdable concertina community around, I was hoping you all might have some advice for a person looking for a servicable used instrument. Really, I'd be ecstatic to find a used Stagi treble concertina just like my old one. Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Matt Cummings

Matt,

We are always sorry to hear such news. Does your instrument have any distinguishing markings? I can put it on the stolen instrument list on the home page if there is a way folks could recognize it.

Hang in there, I bet someone here can help.

Ken

I'm new here, but I could really use some help. On Sunday 8/19 my Stagi 48 key treble english concertina was stolen from me at Port Authority in NYC. It really sucks. I'd had the instrument since 1998 when I was 13, I played it in a traditional Irish group, traveled around the world with it, played it at the All-Irelands, and was heading to a recording session with it this weekend. The instrument itself meant a lot to me, even if it wasn't a super fancy one. Unfortunately now, as a recent college graduate, I just don't have the money to buy a new one. Since this seems to be the most knowlegdable concertina community around, I was hoping you all might have some advice for a person looking for a servicable used instrument. Really, I'd be ecstatic to find a used Stagi treble concertina just like my old one. Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Matt Cummings

Matt, I have a Stagi 48 that I intend to sell. I am getting a Morse Albion. I will sell this Stagi for $400.00. It is used, in good shape; all the notes work. I can send a photo if you are intrested. I have been watching ebay for 6 months now. I have seen several go thru. You might get a sweeter deal there. I live in Vermont so shiping is quick and not to expensive.

Good luck.

Randy

Matt,

We are always sorry to hear such news. Does your instrument have any distinguishing markings? I can put it on the stolen instrument list on the home page if there is a way folks could recognize it.

Ken

I can't think of any particularly distinguishing markings on it. Its a mahogany 48 key treble Stagi English. One of the top buttons on the right hand side had a crack running through the middle of it. The little Stagi brand mark painted on it was rubbing off quite a bit. Nothing that would really stand out though. I doubt the person who stole it would leave the stickers on the case, but if they did, it had a big Ireland sticker on the top, and another on the side that said something in Gaelic about the Comhaltas competition. It also had a green and white tassel attached to the handle of the case. But, I'd think all of those things would be removed. However, for the sake of leaving no stone unturned, I figure I may as well put that out there. Thanks very much for responding, I appreciate the help.

matt

Matt, I have a Stagi 48 that I intend to sell. I am getting a Morse Albion. I will sell this Stagi for $400.00. It is used, in good shape; all the notes work. I can send a photo if you are intrested. I have been watching ebay for 6 months now. I have seen several go thru. You might get a sweeter deal there. I live in Vermont so shiping is quick and not to expensive.

Good luck.

Randy

Randy,

Thanks very much for responding. I am interested in your Stagi. Could you give me some information about it, such as when you got it, etc? I would like to see a photo. I checked ebay myself and nothing is listed on there at the moment that fits what I'm looking for, and I would like to get this resolved quickly so I can have an instrument back in my hands! Thanks again,

Matt

Matt,

Ken

I can't think of any particularly distinguishing markings on it. Its a mahogany 48 key treble Stagi English. One of the top buttons on the right hand side had a crack running through the middle of it. The little Stagi brand mark painted on it was rubbing off quite a bit. Nothing that would really stand out though. I doubt the person who stole it would leave the stickers on the case, but if they did, it had a big Ireland sticker on the top, and another on the side that said something in Gaelic about the Comhaltas competition. It also had a green and white tassel attached to the handle of the case. But, I'd think all of those things would be removed. However, for the sake of leaving no stone unturned, I figure I may as well put that out there. Thanks very much for responding, I appreciate the help.

matt

You might be surprised, the first time we had instruments stolen, we ended up tracking them down ourselves. One we had to buy back from the pawn shop, the other was in a music shop which the poice confiscated for us, as they weren't a pawn shop. Even though legally in Ohio a thief can not profer good title, practically, the law here effectively says they can. (They say you can sue to get back the money, right, the fellow was already in London doing two and a half) Hopefully PA is more civilized.

Anyway, it can't hurt to call around, especially if you have pictures of the case with the stickers and tassle, it could help, as they coould very well still be on it. Again, no guarentee. Even a stagi tough isn't as common as some other instruments, so i would recommend you make some calls, and even if you have to pay the pawn fee to get it back if you find it, it still is going to be less than picking up another one.

Anyway, it never hurts to do a little legwork yourself, you may not find it, but then you might.

Alan

Just a thought..........you said that it happened in New York at the port.

Were you travelling?

Did you have travel insurance?

How did you pay for your ticket?

If you paid with a credit card, you may have some insurance.

All the best,

Phil

Matt,

I didn't even notice you were from Pittsburgh! That makes one more concertinist here (someone at Calliope, the local folk society, just asked me for a census of those who played here). Drop me a PM (button below this post) if you have a chance.

Ken

Matt,

I didn't even notice you were from Pittsburgh! That makes one more concertinist here (someone at Calliope, the local folk society, just asked me for a census of those who played here). Drop me a PM (button below this post) if you have a chance.

Ken

Ken,

I'm pretty sure the people at Calliope know about me; my family and I have been members for ages, I opened for the Freight Hoppers there in 2000 with my irish group, The O'Connell Street Buskers, and last year I volunteered for them taking concert photos at all of the concerts but one. But by all means add me to the census if I haven't been already.

Matt

Matt,

Before I get you too excited, I have a gig on September 15th. I will need the Stagi for that gig, and then I could sell it to you. It that is ok with you we can proceed.

If you want to continue with this send me an email at:

Randy@leavitts.us

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

So the two avenues which I was pursuing to find a "new" used Stagi to replace my stolen one both seem to have fallen through. So this is sort of a re-issue of my previous question. Anyone looking to sell their Stagi 48 key treble english, or know of someone selling one?? Its been killing me not having one.

Thanks to anyone who replies,

Matt

Hi Everyone,

So the two avenues which I was pursuing to find a "new" used Stagi to replace my stolen one both seem to have fallen through. So this is sort of a re-issue of my previous question. Anyone looking to sell their Stagi 48 key treble english, or know of someone selling one?? Its been killing me not having one.

Thanks to anyone who replies,

Matt

I had a Hohner treble concertina advertised here... might that one do the job?

Christian

Any chance the stolen concertina list could be given a more prominent spot on the home page? I have been coming here for a couple of years and never knew it was there!

Any chance the stolen concertina list could be given a more prominent spot on the home page? I have been coming here for a couple of years and never knew it was there!

and I can't find it!

I suppose we can add links at the top, etc. Nevertheless [trying not to sound jaded here] experience indicates that many users/visitors here don't explore the Concertina.net static pages, or even the home page...sometimes they miss them altogether, perhaps they found the forums by an internet search. There's lots there, check it out! Will keep this idea in mind.

Ken