Oh, No!

This should probably be in the repairs forum, except I'm not nimble enough to fix whatever the problem is...

So I'm practicing tonight in excited anticipation of going back to slo-jam tomorrow for the first time in like 2 months and...

Right in the middle of practicing the tunes I know for slo-jam, one note is kind of sticking...the button doesn't stick, but the sound continues even after the button is not being pushed any more. It's the F#/G on the G row first button right side. Frantic phone call to Bob Tedrow (closest repair person) only to find out he's gone home for the night :( Will have to call him tomorrow and hopefully explain the problem adequately or set up a time when he can hear what the heck I'm talking about.

No slo-jam for me tomorrow. It's real obvious and real awful-sounding when it does that. It just...happened, right in the middle of practice.

I'm really upset. I think I killed my cheapy concertina (which I am very fond of), I don't know if it can be fixed or even how long that would take, and I'm not getting my new one until late May at the earliest. I will go nuts if I cannot play until May. This is my stress-release meditation, among other things.

Oh gosh, now I'm trying not to cry...

edited for typos

Edited by Rhomylly

Last time this happened to my I opened 'er up, put on a drop of glue to put back a pad that had fallen off, and Voila.

The cheaper it is, the more used to working on it yourself you need to be. Cheer up, I've seen them work all covered with band-aids and tape. ;)

Last time this happened to my I opened 'er up, put on a drop of glue to put back a pad that had fallen off, and Voila.

Pad fallen off lever is almost certainly it.

And if for some reason you can't get the pad back properly, put some scotch tape over the hole. You'll lose those two notes, but that can be better than being unable to lose them. :)

But re-affixing the pad to the lever is the best solution..

P.S. Yes, this should be in the Repairs forum? ;)

Edited by JimLucas

I too have an old Hohner. Things may not be as bad as a pad having fallen off (none of mine have). Sometimes a bit of debris such as a small splinter of wood can get caught on the felt of the pad. Open up the side of the concertina, determine which pad is worked by the F#/G button and check that the lever is operating the pad so that it covers and uncovers the hole. Have a look underneath it the pad and carefully scrape/brush off any debris, replace the end and give it a try.

Oh Rhomylly how terrible.

Have you had a go at having a look to see if you can fix it?

A bit scary isn't it?

I bought Dave's book just in case, but I don't know if I would dare to have a go or probably even worse let my husband look at it :lol:

Let us know what you are doing.

Sharron

Thanks, everyone,

First thing I'm going to do is call an expert on the phone today. Hopefully that person will be willing to walk me through a basically simple operation. If it's more complicated than a fallen or dirty pad, I am packing it up and shipping it...somewhere...to get repaired.

Maybe, just maybe if I can get it repaired at home I can still make the slo-jam tonight. I am in serious need of it for mental health reasons this week.

Then I am ordering Dave's book.

It's the F#/G at the start of the G row, right hand. (I'm precaffeinated and can't think what official button number that is.) Kinda critical for the music I'm doing. I'd hate to lose it.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all

Dave's book will be of limited help with a Hohner (or Stagi or Bastari, etc.). The book is specifically written about English construction style concertinas (radial reed pan, individual reed carriers, etc.). While some of the information is general and applies to any sort of concertina, do not be surprised when you open up your action box and find that it looks nothing like the pictures in the book.

Okay, crisis solved -- I think.

With Bob Tedrow's telephonic guidance (thanks ever so much, Bob!) I was able to determine that, while the pad was still on the lever, it wasn't wearing evenly or something, and didn't cover the hole all at once or all that well any more. I've built up the thinner side of the pad, and it appears to be working fine. I'll know more after the slo-jam tonight. This may very well be something I have to do periodically as maintenance. I think I'm over my panic at the idea now.

The happiest part is I was able to take my concertina apart, put it back together again, and it still works!!

And, in a case of "what if I did this?" I tacked a layer of thin muslin to the soundholes/endholes (are those baffles? I can't remember), as the cheesecloth Hohner put in there probably wasn't doing much to mellow out the sound. I mean, I was in there messing around anyway...

Just as I was finishing, one of my bandmates came by and confirmed that yes, with the muslin in place it does sound mellower. Nicer. Less cheap-Hohner-tinny.

Note to self: learn proper names of concertina anatomy.

Sorry this was in the general category. I was really upset last night and wasn't thinking.

Thanks, Ken! I do feel like I went through an initiation of some sort today...

I'm keeping all the stuff I used for the repair in the same place, kind of the start of my emergency concertina repair kit.

Just waiting until payday to order the book...

p.s. Oh, and while I had it open, I did sign my name with today's date and location info in pencil...

edited to add p.s.

Edited by Rhomylly

Well, I'm happy to report that my concertina *and* my repairs survived the slo-jam last night. I'm also still happy with the new, mellowed sound. Who knew how much difference two scraps of muslin could make?