Wheatstone English Concertina (1858)

Chris Timson

Hi all,

We are putting up for sale one of Anne's English concertinas. This is one she has had for some years. Here is a picture:-

1.jpg

It's a lovely box, steel reeded, concert pitch and renovated by the Dippers. It's a Wheatstone, number 10680, and dates back to 1858, when it must have been a top-of-the-range model. I have put together a web page with a number of photos plus a couple of recordings of Anne playing it, which you will find here. We are looking for £1100 ono. If you are going to Sidmouth we will have it with us and you are welcome to try it out.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Hi all,

We are putting up for sale one of Anne's English concertinas. This is one she has had for some years. Here is a picture:-

1.jpg

It's a lovely box, steel reeded, concert pitch and renovated by the Dippers. It's a Wheatstone, number 10680, and dates back to 1858, when it must have been a top-of-the-range model. I have put together a web page

Hi Chris and Anne,

the page mentions '1258'. Quite an old box this one! (lol)

It has the same wooden ends as my Tina.

greetings from Flanders,

Dirk

the page mentions '1258'. Quite an old box this one! (lol)

By golly you're right. Better up the price, then ...

Chris

PS I'll correct it later, thanks.

Or maybe the date is correct, and the serial number should be -10680. :)

That's a really lovely 'tina. There are times when I wish I had the funds to become a collector. On other, saner days, I realize that you should only own instruments that you have time to play on a daily basis. I do hope it goes to a good home.

I have a brass-reeded rosewood Lachenal English concertina which has dark green bellows and the same pattern decorative bellows papers as Anne's, athough mine only has brass buttons and no tooling on the bellows ends. Colin dates it as being made around 1860, so, possibly a similar age! Mine is quite a nice instrument of its type, ideal for accompanying singing, so Anne's, being a Wheatstone, would be even better!

Chris

Mine is quite a nice instrument of its type, ideal for accompanying singing, so Anne's, being a Wheatstone, would be even better!

Well of course I'm biased for a whole load of reasons, but yes, I agree! One of the recordings on the web page is of her accompaniment for Lark in the Clear Air.

Chris

Mine is quite a nice instrument of its type, ideal for accompanying singing, so Anne's, being a Wheatstone, would be even better!

Well of course I'm biased for a whole load of reasons, but yes, I agree! One of the recordings on the web page is of her accompaniment for Lark in the Clear Air.

Chris

I will buy it, Chris, if it is not sold already. But I need to know asap, as I am off to India on 18th Aug for 2 months, and would need to arrange payment soon.

Chris vonderborch

Chris

I will buy it, Chris, if it is not sold already. But I need to know asap, as I am off to India on 18th Aug for 2 months, and would need to arrange payment soon.

Chris vonderborch

Hi Chris - Chris T and Anne are currently attending the Sidmouth folk festival and then going on to the Dartmoor folk festival next weekend, probably returning home on monday of next week, so they may not get to see your posting and your offer to buy it until then. I will see if I can get a message to them via my partner who is also attending Sidmouth.

Chris

Hi

Nothing to do with this topic. I just thought I'd add another Chris to the list :D

If there is a big enough number of chris's in this list would we be a chrisalis and turn into moths or butterflies :blink:

chris

I just thought I'd add another Chris to the list :D

If there is a big enough number of chris's in this list would we be a chrisalis and turn into moths or butterflies :blink:

I think you also need to include Alan/Allan/Allen to make it a true Chris-Al-list. B)

This could be a Crisis!

(I think someone should put a stop to this :-) )

Chris

ps maybe there's a chris-correlation between chris's and concertinas (tech-y joke there - please ignore, I'll go away now)

Edited by spindizzy

Hi all,

1.jpg

It's a lovely box, steel reeded, concert pitch and renovated by the Dippers. It's a Wheatstone, number 10680, and dates back to 1858, when it must have been a top-of-the-range model. I have put together a web page with a number of photos plus a couple of recordings of Anne playing it, which you will find here. We are looking for £1100 ono. If you are going to Sidmouth we will have it with us and you are welcome to try it out.

Chris

Chris and Anne brought this instrument into a WCCP meeting this last week at Sidmouth. I tried it and can confirm that it is a lovely sweet toned instrument that plays very welln and is in really nice condition.

John

Many thanks, John, for the recommendation.

I've had emails from Chris V and it looks like this sale will take place, so please regard this instrument as now sold.

Chris

PS Have you heard the rumour that Paul Schwartz is changing his first name to Chris, and that in future anyone posting to c.net will have to do likewise? Seems eminently sensible to me - I'd only have to remember one name then.