Stowmarket, Suffolk, Uk. Sept 1st

Those within reach of Stowmarket, Suffolk will find this year’s Traditional Music Day (Sept 1) of particular interest. It is always a splendid day, but this year has a strong presence of concertina players. Main guests include Mary MacNamara and John Kirkpatrick with Ralph Jordan, Harry Scurfield, and Gavin Atkin also in attendance. Will Duke is a ‘definite maybe’. (Other guests include Devil’s Interval, Jim and Lynette Eldon plus all the local musicians and step-dancers. The beer’s excellent too!))

The EATMT is also extending its ‘hire-a-meloden’ scheme to include ‘hire-an-Anglo’ and this will be launched in the afternoon.

Full details are on the EATMT web-site: www.eatmt.org.uk/traditional_music_day.htm

Best wishes,

Roger

I've been in previous years, and it's a good do in a very nice location. Good place to see some decent step dancing. Rather annoyingly for me this year clashes with a morris dance out, so maybe next year.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Is there a more detailed timetable available?

No timetable published yet, but more details available here:

http://www.eatmt.org.uk/traditional_music_day.htm

There are usually many things going on simultaneously across the museum site, so choosing which one to attend can be a bit difficult sometimes!

I've been to this event for the past few years and it's always a great day out.

I'm really glad I announced this event on the forum and I hope those who have been attracted to it will come and introduce themselves. Chris, sorry you can't make it this year.

The only sell-out is the evening event with Old Hat Concert Party and friends. This always sells out months in advance because it is hugely popular in the local community - which is really very encouraging, given the persistent pontificating about the demise of traditional music. What it shows, in my view, is that good traditional music, well presented, is still a source of real and contemporary entertainment. ( I could go on at length!!)

The other events are all available on the day ticket and Mary and John will be in concert performances before the evening. One of the joys of this day is the relaxed atmosphere and you're likely to find Jim Eldon, John K. et al. playing informally round any corner.

Incidentally, the web-link also takes you to an email and a phone number if you want to check details.

Did I mention that CAMRA run the bar!

Best wishes

Roger

Those within reach of Stowmarket, Suffolk will find this year’s Traditional Music Day (Sept 1) of particular interest. It is always a splendid day, but this year has a strong presence of concertina players. Main guests include Mary MacNamara and John Kirkpatrick with Ralph Jordan, Harry Scurfield, and Gavin Atkin also in attendance. Will Duke is a ‘definite maybe’. (Other guests include Devil’s Interval, Jim and Lynette Eldon plus all the local musicians and step-dancers. The beer’s excellent too!))

The EATMT is also extending its ‘hire-a-meloden’ scheme to include ‘hire-an-Anglo’ and this will be launched in the afternoon.

My eye first read that as "EATMEAT", and I wondered what that had to do with concertinas. :o Oops!

I doubt that I could make it this year, but I'm curious as to whether any of the instructors or performers play English or duet.

And Steve Dickinson lives in Stowmarket, yes? But it doesn't look as if he'll be attending in his business capacity.

.... but I'm curious as to whether any of the instructors or performers play English or duet.

Ralph Jordan is pretty useful on the Maccann Duet. And I've just noticed that Gavin Atkin will be there, no doubt with his Jeffries Duet. There could be some interesting tune swaps!

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by PeterT

It looks like I'll be there, at least for the morning, doing the cheapskates route of museum entry only. Lets hope waving a large Wheatstone around will get me past any problems with the 'ticket holder's priority' in the concertina corner, or I may be forced to watch would-be melodeon players at work.

It seems the duets will be out in force.

It looks like I'll be there, at least for the morning, doing the cheapskates route of museum entry only. Lets hope waving a large Wheatstone around will get me past any problems with the 'ticket holder's priority' in the concertina corner, or I may be forced to watch would-be melodeon players at work.

It seems the duets will be out in force.

I will be there helping out as a steward for some of the time and also helping Maggie Moore with the would-be melodeon players. Please don't knock them. For some people it is their very first contact ever with traditional instruments and you never know quite where things might lead for them. We might get a nine-year old who comes to try out a melodeon and who knows - he might become another John Kirkpatrick in the future.

Anyway, don't forget to say hello and introduce yourselves!

News Update!!

I received the working programme yesterday and this shows that Will Duke will be there. In fact, 30 minutes after the Concertina Corner finishes Will, Harry and I are in charge of the main session for a couple of hours and Mary McNamara joins us after half an hour. The EATMT website now has a full programme posted and you can see details of the concert spots of Mary and John K.

Mike Acott called to see me yesterday and he said that he will have his stall there. Yesterday he had just picked up two beautiful big Aeolas; he also has two fine 38 key Jeffries at present so the stall may have some very fine items.

It seems that there will be a few c.netters at the event. May I suggest that we meet up at the bar at 12.45 and introduce ourselves; we can drink a health to this excellent website (and absent friends, Chris!)

Best wishes,

Roger

Wear a carnation? Nice idea but my t-shirt doesn't have a buttonhole. I went last year and had a great time. I really enjoyed concertina corner and told Roger so afterwards. Unfortunately it also clashes with Wallingford Bunkfest, which is where I shall be headed this year. :(

Chris

I thought 'I expect everyone but me knows what Bunkfest is' and googled it.

It says it's cancelled, Chris; you'd better find a shirt with a button hole and head for Suffolk.

I thought 'I expect everyone but me knows what Bunkfest is' and googled it.

It says it's cancelled, Chris; you'd better find a shirt with a button hole and head for Suffolk.

Yep - I got an email about it being cancelled - I'll post the details up on a separate thread for any that missed the announcement.

- W

Full details are on the EATMT web-site: www.eatmt.org.uk/traditional_music_day.htm

Best wishes,

Roger